slashxcode

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi, this is my first time building (hackintosh no less) and I'm trying to choose between two (somewhat different) cases. I just want one that will make my first time building go smooth/is easy to work with since I'm new.

Either the:
Antec 300 or NZXT Phantom (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WE9WQO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER)

I don't really care about design (although the phantom looks great, I like the antec too). The only thing I'm worried about for building is the fan setup. I just want something with a good built in fan system that won't require too much tinkering on my part. So would either of these work better, or is there another suggestion that better fits my needs (i like the pre-built fan controls on the NZXT as well).

Also, I'm thinking of getting an i7 960 and avoiding overclocking if possible, but OC'ing cheaper 950 is tempting.

Here are my planned specs:
Case - Antec 300 or NZXT Phantom or?
Processor - i7 950 3.06 ghz or i7 960 3.2 (I would feel more comfortable clocking w/the nzxt case)
Mobo - GA-X58A-UD3R
GPU - Radeon 5770
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650
Ram - Corsair 6 gb
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 gb x2
CPU Heatsink: Hyper 212
Optical: lite-on

slashxcode

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Graphic design and gaming (maybe fifty fifty there). Honestly I'm bioth crazy excited and scared to death of the building, but I'm more worried about diagnosing any problems myself (but you have to start somewhere, right?). I'm close to getting lazy and saying f'it and getting a dell 8300 but I'm trying to resist.

slashxcode

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Thanks for the buildup. Like I said, the only things worrying me are fan setup and diagnosing any future problems. I'm coming from an imac that I felt got WAY too hot so ventilation is important to me. It's too bad apple doesn't have a more attractively priced mac pro model.

Do you think I'd need an aftermarket cooler for an unclocked i7 960 or will stock work?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
no..temps should hover around 30c to 50c depending on the room temperature.I go up to 50c cuz of the weather can be 35c in summer.
After market coolers are recommended only if you want to overclock in your case you are not wanting then everything else is ok.

krautstomp

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I used the phantom for my first ever build. It was easy and roomy(no comparison to anything else though). I added all the extra fans you could which is probably overkill. Any extra fans you plan on putting in this case need to be NZXT fans. The 200mm side fan fit easily along with a CM Hyper N520 cooler. The case comes with all the hardware you need for the extra fans. The only complaint I have is the removable screwless 3.5" HD bays. They were manageable but a pain.

TRENDING THREADS