Linux Laptop suggestion wanted - money no object!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 12:28:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.

Here are a list of my wants, and your comments would be very much
appreciated.

Must Haves

* 15" or larger screen, widescreen preferable
* Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
Networking.
* Fat processor (ie, not Celeron)
* Serial port, possibly via USB-serial converter, for Cisco, Sun,
Brocade etc diagnostics.
* DVD reader that can be made "region free"
* 802.11b/g
* 1GB RAM, 80GB HD or better
* On board ethernet, VGA port, USB 2.0, etc.. but these look pretty
standard on everything.
* Solid as a rock

Wants, but can live withouts

* DVR+/-RW (region free reading)
* Dedicated graphics memory
* DVI port
* Linux compatible in-built modem
* 5.1 sound
* headphone jack

I'd love a Mac, but most of the in-house applications are strictly
Windows only, and given that this is desktop replacement, I don't have
the luxury of both platforms.

I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite P30, but their Linux support
doens't seem too great. What's everybody else using?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 11:12:11 AM

yamahasw40@latinmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite P30, but their Linux support
> doens't seem too great. What's everybody else using?

IBM Thinkpads, of course.
;)

--
When you say: "I wrote a program that crashed Windows",
people just stare at you blankly and say: "Hey, I got those

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

yamahasw40@latinmail.com wrote:

> As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
> an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
> the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.

ThinkPads tend to be good. I've got an R31 and everything works in it,
including WiFi, modem and IR.
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 6:08:33 PM

johnny bobby bee wrote:
> yamahasw40@latinmail.com wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite P30, but their Linux support
>> doens't seem too great. What's everybody else using?
>

> IBM Thinkpads, of course.
> ;)

As long as you do not object to IBM giving away the ranch to China ...

--
John Doue
Anonymous

John Doue wrote:

> As long as you do not object to IBM giving away the ranch to China ...

You'd have a tough time, finding any notebook that's not substantially made
in Asia.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 10, 2005 10:08:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have a R40 and it works like a beauty.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 4:28:32 PM

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:28:54 -0800, yamahasw40 wrote:

> As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
> an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
> the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.
>
> Here are a list of my wants, and your comments would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> Must Haves
>
> * 15" or larger screen, widescreen preferable
> * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
> compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
> Networking.
> * Fat processor (ie, not Celeron)
> * Serial port, possibly via USB-serial converter, for Cisco, Sun,
> Brocade etc diagnostics.
> * DVD reader that can be made "region free"
> * 802.11b/g
> * 1GB RAM, 80GB HD or better
> * On board ethernet, VGA port, USB 2.0, etc.. but these look pretty
> standard on everything.
> * Solid as a rock

The fastest laptop (from a CPU speed standpoint not from a graphics
processor standpoint) is a Compaq R3000z/HP5000z with an Athlon64
processor. I have one with the 3400+ but they offer the 3700+ also. I
have the 1680x1050 screen which works fine with the Xorg drivers but not
with the current Nvidia drivers (an older generation worked and I expect
the next release will). you can get up to 2G of RAM, I have 1G. You can
get an 80G 5400 RPM drive or a 100G 4400RPM drive, get at least 80G if you
are dual booting, I only have 60 and it's tight. The 802.11b/g chip is a
Broadcom 54G which has no native Linux driver however it does work with
Ndiswrapper but that requires that you run a 32 bit kernel because there
are no 64 bit XP drivers and Ndiswrapper won't run a 32 bit driver on a 64
bit kernel.

I'm using Fedora Core 3, both 32 and 64 bits, on the system. Both are
solid as a rock. Mandrake 10.1 doesn't work on this system, don't know
about other distributions.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 11, 2005 11:22:03 PM

James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<a4idneZZjOam-63fRVn-rA@rogers.com>...
> John Doue wrote:
>
> > As long as you do not object to IBM giving away the ranch to China ...
>
> You'd have a tough time, finding any notebook that's not substantially made
> in Asia.

What I'd really like to know is if there are any early indications whether
service under warranty is going to still be as good as it has been. Does
anybody know how that is affected by the deal? Are the service reps being
outsourced overseas? Any good experiences, or horror stories?

Rick Carter
carterrk@despammed.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 2:28:31 AM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:28:32 -0500, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The fastest laptop (from a CPU speed standpoint not from a graphics
>processor standpoint) is a Compaq R3000z/HP5000z with an Athlon64
>processor. I have one with the 3400+ but they offer the 3700+ also. I

Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?

Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 11:50:59 AM

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:28:31 -0600, TCS wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:28:32 -0500, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>The fastest laptop (from a CPU speed standpoint not from a graphics
>>processor standpoint) is a Compaq R3000z/HP5000z with an Athlon64
>>processor. I have one with the 3400+ but they offer the 3700+ also. I
>
> Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>
> Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
> amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.

I never use the battery so I don't know how long it lasts, however Cool &
Quiet is well supported by the kernel. The fan almost never runs on either
my 3400+ laptop or my 3800+ desktop which is an indirect measure of how
little power is consumed by the Athlon 64 when it's not heavily loaded.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 11:54:29 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Nvidia has released new drivers which I've got working on my Compaq
R3000z. The graphics performance is now pretty snappy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 12:03:31 PM

TCS wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:28:32 -0500, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>The fastest laptop (from a CPU speed standpoint not from a graphics
>>processor standpoint) is a Compaq R3000z/HP5000z with an Athlon64
>>processor. I have one with the 3400+ but they offer the 3700+ also. I
>

> Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>
> Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
> amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.

I've got an Averatec 5428hx, which has an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (1.6GHz).
The only thing I can say is, the fan runs a good bit. ;-) I'm going to
be getting one of those laptop cooling pads, with the 4 fans. Wouldn't
want to set my bed, dresser, or table on fire. :D  Actually, I think my
power supply needs the cooling fan more than the laptop itself does.
The power supply for my Averatec/AMD is pretty big.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 12:55:11 PM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:03:31 -0500, Donn Miller wrote:

> TCS wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:28:32 -0500, General Schvantzkoph <schvantzkoph@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>The fastest laptop (from a CPU speed standpoint not from a graphics
>>>processor standpoint) is a Compaq R3000z/HP5000z with an Athlon64
>>>processor. I have one with the 3400+ but they offer the 3700+ also. I
>>

>> Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>>
>> Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
>> amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.
>
> I've got an Averatec 5428hx, which has an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (1.6GHz).
> The only thing I can say is, the fan runs a good bit. ;-) I'm going to
> be getting one of those laptop cooling pads, with the 4 fans. Wouldn't
> want to set my bed, dresser, or table on fire. :D  Actually, I think my
> power supply needs the cooling fan more than the laptop itself does.
> The power supply for my Averatec/AMD is pretty big.

Which kernel are you using? I'm using the 2.4.10 kernel with the ondemand
speed governor. The 64 bit Fedora kernels have the usermode power governor
included but not ondemand, the 32 bit Fedora kernels don't have any A64
power governors. I built my own 32 bit and 64 bit kernels with all of the
available power governors. On boot up I select ondemand in /etc/rc.local

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

My fan doesn't run unless I'm doing something like a simulation.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 13, 2005 4:04:28 PM

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 09:03:31 -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
>

>>TCS wrote:

>>>Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>>>
>>>Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
>>>amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.
>>
>>I've got an Averatec 5428hx, which has an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (1.6GHz).
>>The only thing I can say is, the fan runs a good bit. ;-) I'm going to
>>be getting one of those laptop cooling pads, with the 4 fans. Wouldn't
>>want to set my bed, dresser, or table on fire. :D  Actually, I think my
>>power supply needs the cooling fan more than the laptop itself does.
>>The power supply for my Averatec/AMD is pretty big.
>

> Which kernel are you using? I'm using the 2.4.10 kernel with the ondemand
> speed governor. The 64 bit Fedora kernels have the usermode power governor
> included but not ondemand, the 32 bit Fedora kernels don't have any A64
> power governors. I built my own 32 bit and 64 bit kernels with all of the
> available power governors. On boot up I select ondemand in /etc/rc.local
>
> echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> My fan doesn't run unless I'm doing something like a simulation.

I was using the 2.6.10 kernel that's included on the Gentoo install CD.
Thanks for the advice, though. It'll come in handy when I install
Linux on this laptop.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 15, 2005 4:09:04 AM

In comp.os.linux.portable Donn Miller <hackr_d@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was using the 2.6.10 kernel that's included on the Gentoo install CD.
> Thanks for the advice, though. It'll come in handy when I install
> Linux on this laptop.

Did you read and follow the power management guide ?
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml

Followups set to c.os.l.p since this is becoming Linux-specific.

--
pa at panix dot com
Anonymous

In "Re: Linux Laptop suggestion wanted - money no object!", John Doue
<notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As long as you do not object to IBM giving away the ranch to China ...

Well, my Thinkpad was assembled in Greenock just a wee bit "doon the watter"
from me here in Glasgow, almost certainly from components that were all
manufactured in Asia. So just what "ranch" are you talking about, dude...?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 10:44:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>> Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>> Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if an
>> amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.

> I've got an Averatec 5428hx, which has an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (1.6GHz). The
> only thing I can say is, the fan runs a good bit. ;-) I'm going to be
> getting one of those laptop cooling pads, with the 4 fans. Wouldn't want to

I'm not sure I'm following: what's the connection?
The XP-M is not an amd64, it's just a very different processor.

Stefan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 16, 2005 11:44:07 AM

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Is the battery drain as fast as that processor?
>>> Considering the way a desktop amd64 can heat a room, I be surprised if
>>> an amd64 laptop could run an entire hour on a charge.
>
>> I've got an Averatec 5428hx, which has an Athlon XP-M 2800+ (1.6GHz). The
>> only thing I can say is, the fan runs a good bit. ;-) I'm going to be
>> getting one of those laptop cooling pads, with the 4 fans. Wouldn't want
>
> I'm not sure I'm following: what's the connection?
> The XP-M is not an amd64, it's just a very different processor.

However the Mobile Athlon 64 _is_ an AMD64 and I have plenty of battery left
after watching a movie. If I set the clock to run full speed all the time
then battery life goes down of course.

Don't know where everybody gets the idea that AMD64s take a lot of power--in
a recent test an AMD64 machine drew less power than a similarly equipped
Pentium M. And that wasn't even the mobile version of the AMD64, that was
the latest _desktop_ version.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On 2005-03-10, yamahasw40@latinmail.com <yamahasw40@latinmail.com> wrote:
> As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
> an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
> the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.

Well without question, although it will not meet all your specs below (and I
hope exceed a few specs below ;)  you *need*:

http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/html/products/mobile/bul...

For the shear reason that you will have the best laptop on the block...for a
long time :)  You must promise to let us all have a play on it though once
you purchase this.

> Here are a list of my wants, and your comments would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> Must Haves
>
> * 15" or larger screen, widescreen preferable
> * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
> compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
> Networking.
> * Fat processor (ie, not Celeron)
> * Serial port, possibly via USB-serial converter, for Cisco, Sun,
> Brocade etc diagnostics.
> * DVD reader that can be made "region free"
> * 802.11b/g
> * 1GB RAM, 80GB HD or better
> * On board ethernet, VGA port, USB 2.0, etc.. but these look pretty
> standard on everything.
> * Solid as a rock

Any IBM Thinkpad T-Series laptop you will be _very_ happy with. Make sure
its a big number with the 'p' bolted on the end of the model number.

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/uk/products.nsf/TopSellers?opena...

That would give you a T42p. I am unsure about the region free-ness. I have
the T40p[1] and am yet to region free my drive, mainly as I have not needed
anything other than region two as of yet and so have not looked into the
matter too much.

> Wants, but can live withouts
>
> * DVR+/-RW (region free reading)
> * Dedicated graphics memory
> * DVI port
> * Linux compatible in-built modem
> * 5.1 sound
> * headphone jack

Well only the DVI port, 5.1 sound and region free reading are the missing
bits. You would be lucky to get 5.1 sound to be frank from a laptop. With
Thinkpads you are getting solid functional machines. If you really want that
then probably a 5.1 USB soundcard will give you what you need. A docking
station probably will give you the DVI port, remember space is limited on
laptops so a VGA connector is probably more apprioate rather than a DVI port
for most users. One grudge I have with the Thinkpad is they dropped the
serial port but kept the parallel port! WTF? Fortunately a friend 'found'
and then 'lost' a USB->Serial converter for me :)

> I'd love a Mac, but most of the in-house applications are strictly
> Windows only, and given that this is desktop replacement, I don't have
> the luxury of both platforms.

So does Linus.... :-/ Although his might run Linux its still a 'media lovey'
bit of hardware and there as a fashion accessory. He really should get some
Sparc box :)  Thats just my opinion. Maybe he could swindle us a Tadpole for
'testing' purposes....

> I'm looking at the Toshiba Satellite P30, but their Linux support
> doens't seem too great. What's everybody else using?

No no no no no. Toshiba/Dell/HP are evil laptop producers. Expect cheap,
loud and unreliable machines. At work a bunch of people went against what
the two Stinkpad'ers (myself one of them) recommended and went for the
"cheaper and more powerful" Dell's....boy they are unhappy. My girlfriend
owns a new-ish Toshiba and she hates it. Everyone I know with a Dell/Toshiba
I have heard unhappy thoughts on the actual hardware its-self whilst HP I
have only heard unhappy things on.

In conclusion...."join us....become a Stinkpader" :)

Good have fun. If you get the Tadpole I have claim to the first tinker ;)

Alex

[1] http://www.digriz.org.uk/t40p-linux/
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 10:47:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:28:54 -0800, yamahasw40 wrote:

> As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
> an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
> the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.
>
> Here are a list of my wants, and your comments would be very much
> appreciated.
>
> Must Haves
>
> * 15" or larger screen, widescreen preferable
> * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
> compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
> Networking.
> * Fat processor (ie, not Celeron)
> * Serial port, possibly via USB-serial converter, for Cisco, Sun,
> Brocade etc diagnostics.
> * DVD reader that can be made "region free"
> * 802.11b/g
> * 1GB RAM, 80GB HD or better
> * On board ethernet, VGA port, USB 2.0, etc.. but these look pretty
> standard on everything.
> * Solid as a rock

I just bought a Sony VAIO PCG K-45. P4, 15.4" screen, wireless, 512 MB, 80
GB, USB 2, and very durable. Extremely nice, bright screen. I am extremely
pleased with it so far.
March 29, 2005 11:55:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ask manufacturers whether they may be kind enough to provide you with a
ready installed Linux system.

Salutations

"Houston CAPCOM" <null@microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.03.29.02.47.16.845267@microsoft.com...
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:28:54 -0800, yamahasw40 wrote:
>
> > As part of the company's desktop replacement strategy, I'm being given
> > an effectively unlimited budget to purchase a laptop. After trawling
> > the various vendors websites, I'm confused as ever.
> >
> > Here are a list of my wants, and your comments would be very much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Must Haves
> >
> > * 15" or larger screen, widescreen preferable
> > * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
> > compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
> > Networking.
> > * Fat processor (ie, not Celeron)
> > * Serial port, possibly via USB-serial converter, for Cisco, Sun,
> > Brocade etc diagnostics.
> > * DVD reader that can be made "region free"
> > * 802.11b/g
> > * 1GB RAM, 80GB HD or better
> > * On board ethernet, VGA port, USB 2.0, etc.. but these look pretty
> > standard on everything.
> > * Solid as a rock
>
> I just bought a Sony VAIO PCG K-45. P4, 15.4" screen, wireless, 512 MB, 80
> GB, USB 2, and very durable. Extremely nice, bright screen. I am extremely
> pleased with it so far.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 6:46:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
> compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and

Actually Mandrake is now selling HP laptop with Linux preinstalled on it...
Unfortunately in France only.
See http://store.mandrakesoft.com/

I can t tell you exactly which HP laptop it is... Still it s not a very
expensive one.
Vincent
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 6:46:07 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:46:06 +0200, Vincent M wrote:

>> * Dual bootable Linux (any major flavor) and Windows XP (for work
>> compatible things), with solid linux support for USB, Video and
>
> Actually Mandrake is now selling HP laptop with Linux preinstalled on it...
> Unfortunately in France only.
> See http://store.mandrakesoft.com/
>
> I can t tell you exactly which HP laptop it is... Still it s not a very
> expensive one.
> Vincent

Not clear if they are still selling the nx5000, if you try to
configure it you get a page unavailable. Something else that appears
on the HP site (not on hpshopping.com but on hp.com) are notebooks with
Freedos. The Linux notebook has Suse which is fine if you are a Suse
user. Freedos is arguably more attractive then a preinstalled Linux for
those of us who prefer to do their own installs. It satisfies HP contract
with MS which prohibits them from selling a computer with no OS
without costing the customer anything. It's not clear how you order a
FreeDos machine, it's listed on the summary page but there doesn't seem
to be anyway to select in on the customization page.

Here is the link to the nx5000

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/321957-64...
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2005 2:09:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Just to close this thead...

In the end I bought an HP Compaq nx7010 - Pentium M 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM,
80GB 5400rpm HD, Radeon ATI Mobility 9200 32MB, 802.11b/g, Bluetooth
etc etc

Booted up the Fedora Core 3 box. Used fdisk to destroy the default
NTFS (type 7) partition. Recreated three primary partitions - 7,
82(swap) and 83 (linux).

Reinstalled XP using HP's provided CD, then rebuilt the
applications/drivers using the DVD.

Installed Fedora Core 3, selected "Generic LCD 1680x1050". After the
install, sound and graphics looked great out of the box, though had to
edit xorg.conf to give me the full resolution (Fedora set it to
1400x1050). pkill -1 X and it all came back nicely. LAN works out of
the box, though haven't played with wireless or bluetooth yet.

Hassel free install.

Matt

!