istDS

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 30, 2005 12:28:16 PM

Anyone shooting the Pentax ist-DS?

--
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{)
Patrick
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
A+Certified Tech....
My name is Patrick Boch-and I approve this message.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

More about : istds

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:01:05 PM

Patrick Boch <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
: Anyone shooting the Pentax ist-DS?

Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
worth of parts. It wasn't hard and mine will fit my uses better than the
Pentax one. For example I can lock the shutter release down for extreme
long bulb shots so I can be creative infront of the lens while the shutter
is open. :)  This shutter release is VERY easy to build if you have any
experience with a soldering iron. The only tough spot I got into, I used a
coiled cord from a telephone handset. But the conductors in the cord are
very thin and tend to melt on the soldering iron, instead of being stuck
to the contact with solder.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 7:14:50 PM

Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
: Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
: to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
: worth of parts.

Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine yet, but
will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.

Thanks!
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *
January 30, 2005 7:14:51 PM

<papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu> wrote in message
> Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
> : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
> : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
> : worth of parts.
>
> Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine yet,
but
> will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.
>
> Thanks!
> -Cory

Try here;

http://www.peeters.com/300d.html

The Digital Rebel release works on the *ist D and DS
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 10:35:14 PM

Darrell <dev/null> wrote:
: http://www.peeters.com/300d.html

: The Digital Rebel release works on the *ist D and DS

Interesting... I'm assuming this is a 2.5mm cable. Does the *ist-DS do the
same autofocus on the other pin? It's basically the same as holding down the shutter
halfway?

Thanks!
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *
January 30, 2005 11:29:20 PM

<papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu> wrote in message
> Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
> : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
> : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
> : worth of parts.
>
> Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine yet,
> but
> will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.

2.5 mm stereo plug.
Tip - shutter
first ring - focus
second ring - common.

HTH

Deep.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:41:14 AM

Patrick Boch wrote:
> Anyone shooting the Pentax ist-DS?

Not yet. I will buy one before my next child is born in May.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
January 31, 2005 4:09:09 AM

"Deep Reset" <DeepReset@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu> wrote in message
>> Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
>> : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did
>> was
>> : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about
>> $20
>> : worth of parts.
>>
>> Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine
>> yet, but
>> will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.
>>

> 2.5 mm stereo plug.
> Tip - shutter
> first ring - focus
> second ring - common.
>
> HTH
>
> Deep.

I'm just about to get an istDS and was wondering about this switch, does it
require power or just a particular contact to connect to the correct part of
the plug? And can you supply a simple diagram? Thanks.

Steve
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:08:46 AM

papenfussDIESPAM@juneaudotmedotvt.edu wrote:
: Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
: : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
: : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
: : worth of parts.

: Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't
: bought mine yet, but will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.

I found it on a Yahoo search, but it was burried under a ton of other
unhelpful sites. :)

The wiring is very easy. The plug is a standard 25mm (3/32") stereo audio
plug. To designate the plug domains I will number the sections on the plug
with 1 being the tip and 3 being closest to the base. Pin 3 is common. Pin
2 is the "half press" used for auto focus and auto exposure. And pin 1
(tip) is the shutter release. So when you "half press" you connect pin 2
to pin 3. And to snap the shutter connect 1 to 3. Now the source suggested
that at full press you should connect both 1 and 2 to 3, but I have found
that if you do not want to use auto focus (or do a manual focus) you can
just do a shutter release with 1 to 3.

I used a DPDT center off toggle switch to control the various selections
and a push button for momentary shutter. I used one half of the toggle
with both sides connected to pin 2 of the plug. The other half of the
toggle I put pin 1 to only one end and wired the button across these
connections. The center of both sides of the toggle are connected to pin
3. So when the toggle is in the center, everything is off. When flipped
one way the camera goes into half press (making 2 handed manual adjustment
of a zoom lens easy. Then pressing the button will snap the photo. Just be
sure to center the switch after the shot to reduce battery drain. But if I
want to do an extended bulb shot I flip the toggle toward the button (the
opposite direction from above) to lock the shutter open (when using bulb
setting) and it will remain open until you return to center the toggle (or
the battery goes dead).

Buying the best parts (gold plated plug, 12' coiled cord, etc) I built the
whole thing for under $20.

Since the pin out is so simple I have been contemplating building a
electronic variable delay timer using a 9v battery, a 555 timer chip and a
couple reed relays to trip the trigger when the timer times out. I could
easily set up a delay for anything from 1 sec to 2 days (or any other
practical or impractial range) with only a variable pot. Or it could even
include a light beam trigger to shoot photos anytime something broke the
beam.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
January 31, 2005 8:08:47 AM

Randy Berbaum wrote:

> papenfussDIESPAM@juneaudotmedotvt.edu wrote:
> : Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
> : : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
> : : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
> : : worth of parts.
>
> : Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't
> : bought mine yet, but will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.
>
> I found it on a Yahoo search, but it was burried under a ton of other
> unhelpful sites. :)
>
> The wiring is very easy. The plug is a standard 25mm (3/32") stereo audio
> plug. To designate the plug domains I will number the sections on the plug
> with 1 being the tip and 3 being closest to the base. Pin 3 is common. Pin
> 2 is the "half press" used for auto focus and auto exposure. And pin 1
> (tip) is the shutter release. So when you "half press" you connect pin 2
> to pin 3. And to snap the shutter connect 1 to 3. Now the source suggested
> that at full press you should connect both 1 and 2 to 3, but I have found
> that if you do not want to use auto focus (or do a manual focus) you can
> just do a shutter release with 1 to 3.
>
> I used a DPDT center off toggle switch to control the various selections
> and a push button for momentary shutter. I used one half of the toggle
> with both sides connected to pin 2 of the plug. The other half of the
> toggle I put pin 1 to only one end and wired the button across these
> connections. The center of both sides of the toggle are connected to pin
> 3. So when the toggle is in the center, everything is off. When flipped
> one way the camera goes into half press (making 2 handed manual adjustment
> of a zoom lens easy. Then pressing the button will snap the photo. Just be
> sure to center the switch after the shot to reduce battery drain. But if I
> want to do an extended bulb shot I flip the toggle toward the button (the
> opposite direction from above) to lock the shutter open (when using bulb
> setting) and it will remain open until you return to center the toggle (or
> the battery goes dead).
>
> Buying the best parts (gold plated plug, 12' coiled cord, etc) I built the
> whole thing for under $20.
>
> Since the pin out is so simple I have been contemplating building a
> electronic variable delay timer using a 9v battery, a 555 timer chip and a
> couple reed relays to trip the trigger when the timer times out. I could
> easily set up a delay for anything from 1 sec to 2 days (or any other
> practical or impractial range) with only a variable pot. Or it could even
> include a light beam trigger to shoot photos anytime something broke the
> beam.
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Imagine aiming that beam across a bird's nest.... bingo!

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
: Randy Berbaum wrote:

: > Since the pin out is so simple I have been contemplating building a
: > electronic variable delay timer using a 9v battery, a 555 timer chip
: > and a couple reed relays to trip the trigger when the timer times
: > out. I could easily set up a delay for anything from 1 sec to 2 days
: > (or any other practical or impractial range) with only a variable
: > pot. Or it could even include a light beam trigger to shoot photos
: > anytime something broke the beam.

: Imagine aiming that beam across a bird's nest.... bingo!

Or across the hole in the backyard fence where you think the neighbor's
dog (or your neighbor's kid) is crawling through. Bingo, evidence. :)

Or for wildlife photog (as you mentioned with the bird idea), you could
get birds (and squirrels) at your feeder. Lots of interresting ideas begin
to bubble out of the imagination, don't they. :)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:17:53 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 01:09:09 GMT, Steve wrote:

> "Deep Reset" <DeepReset@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu> wrote in message
>>> Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
>>> : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did
>>> was
>>> : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about
>>> $20
>>> : worth of parts.
>>>
>>> Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine
>>> yet, but
>>> will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.
>>>

>> 2.5 mm stereo plug.
>> Tip - shutter
>> first ring - focus
>> second ring - common.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Deep.
>>

> I'm just about to get an istDS and was wondering about this switch, does it
> require power or just a particular contact to connect to the correct part of
> the plug? And can you supply a simple diagram? Thanks.

It doesn't get much simpler: short ring to common is a half-press of the
shutter, short tip to common is a full press.

The "full press" doesn't need a "half press" first, unless you need it to
focus or wake up the camera.

--
John Bean

Bacchus hath drowned more men than Neptune (Thomas Fuller)
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:57:49 PM

How come a general question about the istDS got bogged with all this
technical stuff about remote releases (and home made at that!)?

Come on guys - either stay on topic or start your own thread!

Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:

>Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>: Randy Berbaum wrote:
>
>: > Since the pin out is so simple I have been contemplating building a
>: > electronic variable delay timer using a 9v battery, a 555 timer chip
>: > and a couple reed relays to trip the trigger when the timer times
>: > out. I could easily set up a delay for anything from 1 sec to 2 days
>: > (or any other practical or impractial range) with only a variable
>: > pot. Or it could even include a light beam trigger to shoot photos
>: > anytime something broke the beam.
>
>: Imagine aiming that beam across a bird's nest.... bingo!
>
>Or across the hole in the backyard fence where you think the neighbor's
>dog (or your neighbor's kid) is crawling through. Bingo, evidence. :)
>
>Or for wildlife photog (as you mentioned with the bird idea), you could
>get birds (and squirrels) at your feeder. Lots of interresting ideas begin
>to bubble out of the imagination, don't they. :)
>
>Randy
>
>==========
>Randy Berbaum
>Champaign, IL

January 31, 2005 2:57:50 PM

"Tony H" <tony@nosuchname.co.uk> wrote in message
> How come a general question about the istDS got bogged with all this
> technical stuff about remote releases (and home made at that!)?
>
> Come on guys - either stay on topic or start your own thread!

This is more on topic than the anti-Bush deficit rants, or the Jesus loves
you threads. This is a fact of usenet, threads wonder away. They have done
it as long as I've been using usenet (since 1992)
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:08:11 PM

tony asks:

>How come a general question about the istDS got bogged with all this
>technical stuff about remote releases (and home made at that!)?
>
>Come on guys - either stay on topic or start your own thread!

I'd guess one reason is that it's useful information. IIRC, I paid about $40
for my yard or so long remote for my *ist. If I'd had the general stuff, I'd
have built my own with a 10-15' cable and for less money.

The infrared remote is only useful from the front of the camera, which is not
always the hot set-up, and I am not always with arm+3' reach of the release
when I'm off to one side, so a longer set-up is helpful.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:58:15 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:57:49 GMT, Tony H wrote:

> How come a general question about the istDS got bogged with all this
> technical stuff about remote releases (and home made at that!)?
>
> Come on guys - either stay on topic or start your own thread!

So what *is* on topic for a question that just asks: "Anyone shooting the
Pentax ist-DS?"

I guess anybody who says anything but "yes" or "no" would be off topic by
your reckoning.

--
John Bean

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin
with, that it's compounding a felony (Robert Benchley)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:33:01 AM

What were the reasons you purchased Pentax over Canon or Nikon ie D70 or
20D etc?

Randy Berbaum wrote:

>Patrick Boch <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>: Anyone shooting the Pentax ist-DS?
>
>Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
>to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
>worth of parts. It wasn't hard and mine will fit my uses better than the
>Pentax one. For example I can lock the shutter release down for extreme
>long bulb shots so I can be creative infront of the lens while the shutter
>is open. :)  This shutter release is VERY easy to build if you have any
>experience with a soldering iron. The only tough spot I got into, I used a
>coiled cord from a telephone handset. But the conductors in the cord are
>very thin and tend to melt on the soldering iron, instead of being stuck
>to the contact with solder.
>
>Randy
>
>==========
>Randy Berbaum
>Champaign, IL

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:33:02 AM

I'd like to know, too. Am seriously considering putting my 10D, 420EZ, Sigma
18-125DC & 512 meg CF on eBay to pay for one ... something about the *ist is
calling me.

I have read somewhere tho, that there is a problem with continuous
autofocus?

ANY info, please ...

Will
--
"The members of the Golden Brigade Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division
Association all served with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.
> What were the reasons you purchased Pentax over Canon or Nikon ie D70 or
> 20D etc?
>
> Randy Berbaum wrote:
>
> >Patrick Boch <pboch@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> >: Anyone shooting the Pentax ist-DS?
> >
> >Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did was
> >to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about $20
> >worth of parts. It wasn't hard and mine will fit my uses better than the
> >Pentax one. For example I can lock the shutter release down for extreme
> >long bulb shots so I can be creative infront of the lens while the
shutter
> >is open. :)  This shutter release is VERY easy to build if you have any
> >experience with a soldering iron. The only tough spot I got into, I used
> >coiled cord from a telephone handset. But the conductors in the cord are
> >very thin and tend to melt on the soldering iron, instead of being stuck
> >to the contact with solder.
> >
> >Randy
> >
> >==========
> >Randy Berbaum
> >Champaign, IL

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:44:21 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:47:57 -0500, Will wrote:

> I'd like to know, too. Am seriously considering putting my 10D, 420EZ, Sigma
> 18-125DC & 512 meg CF on eBay to pay for one ... something about the *ist is
> calling me.
>
> I have read somewhere tho, that there is a problem with continuous
> autofocus?

Continuous AF on the *istDS works *only* in the "sports" scene-mode, you
can't turn it on or off by any other means. Strange thing to do, but that's
what Pentax has done. The *istD doesn't have this limitation.

Not important at all to me, could be important to you.

--
John Bean

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin
with, that it's compounding a felony (Robert Benchley)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:07:05 PM

John Bean wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:47:57 -0500, Will wrote:
>

>>I have read somewhere tho, that there is a problem with continuous
>>autofocus?
>
> Continuous AF on the *istDS works *only* in the "sports" scene-mode, you
> can't turn it on or off by any other means. Strange thing to do, but that's
> what Pentax has done. The *istD doesn't have this limitation.
>
> Not important at all to me, could be important to you.

Are there any other noticeable handling differences that don't come out
in the specifications or reviews? I am still undecided between the istD
and DS. The former would allow me to reuse all my CF cards, but the
latter is a lot cheaper and on paper at least almost as capable. Some
reviewers prefering the handling of the istDS.

How significant is shutter lag on these two DSLRs? And is it dependent
on whether or not the flash gun wants to fire?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:00:31 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:07:05 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> John Bean wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:47:57 -0500, Will wrote:
>>

>>>I have read somewhere tho, that there is a problem with continuous
>>>autofocus?
>>
>> Continuous AF on the *istDS works *only* in the "sports" scene-mode, you
>> can't turn it on or off by any other means. Strange thing to do, but that's
>> what Pentax has done. The *istD doesn't have this limitation.
>>
>> Not important at all to me, could be important to you.
>
> Are there any other noticeable handling differences that don't come out
> in the specifications or reviews? I am still undecided between the istD
> and DS. The former would allow me to reuse all my CF cards, but the
> latter is a lot cheaper and on paper at least almost as capable. Some
> reviewers prefering the handling of the istDS.

Dunno, depends what's important to you. I went for
smaller/lighter/faster/cheaper. The only things that might have swayed me
towards the D were use of CF, two control wheels (easier for manual mode),
program shift. I wasn't swayed. Some features of the DS don't exist on the
D, like instant histogram display for example. Some D features are missing
on the DS - the pop-up flash can only work P-TTL and can't be used to
operate a remote flash wirelessly, for example.

Having bought the DS I know I made the right choice, but I don't use flash
much anyhow, I never use the pop-up flash for anything, and I don't miss CF
at all. SD is convenient and the DS makes much smaller raw files than the D
so I get more on a card. Nice :-)

> How significant is shutter lag on these two DSLRs? And is it dependent
> on whether or not the flash gun wants to fire?

It has the same shutter lag as any SLR, and the flash fires when I tell it
to, not the other way around. It's not a P&S you know ;-)

--
John Bean

I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:07:25 PM

John (and all),

Thanks for the great insights ... I ordered my *ist DS kit from Beach Camera
today - should be here tomorrow.
Day after tomorrow will probably see my 10D setup on eBay.

Thanks again!

Ron
--
"John Bean" <waterfoot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 10:07:05 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:
>
> > John Bean wrote:

> >> Continuous AF on the *istDS works *only* in the "sports" scene-mode,
you
> >> can't turn it on or off by any other means. Strange thing to do, but
that's
> >> what Pentax has done. The *istD doesn't have this limitation.
> >>
> >> Not important at all to me, could be important to you.
> >
> > Are there any other noticeable handling differences that don't come out
> > in the specifications or reviews? I am still undecided between the istD
> > and DS. The former would allow me to reuse all my CF cards, but the
> > latter is a lot cheaper and on paper at least almost as capable. Some
> > reviewers prefering the handling of the istDS.
>
> Dunno, depends what's important to you. I went for
> smaller/lighter/faster/cheaper. The only things that might have swayed me
> towards the D were use of CF, two control wheels (easier for manual mode),
> program shift. I wasn't swayed. Some features of the DS don't exist on the
> D, like instant histogram display for example. Some D features are missing
> on the DS - the pop-up flash can only work P-TTL and can't be used to
> operate a remote flash wirelessly, for example.
>
> Having bought the DS I know I made the right choice, but I don't use flash
> much anyhow, I never use the pop-up flash for anything, and I don't miss
CF
> at all. SD is convenient and the DS makes much smaller raw files than the
> so I get more on a card. Nice :-)
>
> > How significant is shutter lag on these two DSLRs? And is it dependent
> > on whether or not the flash gun wants to fire?
>
> It has the same shutter lag as any SLR, and the flash fires when I tell it
> to, not the other way around. It's not a P&S you know ;-)
>
> --
> John Bean
>
> I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them (Isaac Asimov)
February 2, 2005 5:05:46 AM

"Deep Reset" <DeepReset@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu> wrote in message
>> Randy Berbaum <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote:
>> : Just received mine yesterday. Still playing with it. One thing I did
>> was
>> : to make my own wired switch (wired remote shutter release) for about
>> $20
>> : worth of parts.
>>
>> Where'd you find the pinouts for such a beast? I haven't bought mine
>> yet, but
>> will soon and will need a "bulb" switch.
>>

> 2.5 mm stereo plug.
> Tip - shutter
> first ring - focus
> second ring - common.
>
> HTH
>
> Deep.

Can you supply a set of wiring instructions? And what type of switch to
get. The 2.5 plug is easy, but not necessarily the switch. Thanks.
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:21:11 AM

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
: What were the reasons you purchased Pentax over Canon or Nikon ie D70 or
: 20D etc?

A small fortune in old Pentax lenses and special effect filters, just
gathering dust. If I purchased any other brand of D-SLR I would have to
purchase an entire new set of lenses, which would have added over $1k on
top of the camera body. I will probably be purchasing many new lenses in
the next few years but in the mean time I can return to the photo
techniques and abilities that became unavailable when I made the move from
35mm to digital many years ago.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:43:03 PM

"Randy Berbaum" <rberbaum@bluestem.prairienet.org> wrote in message
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> : What were the reasons you purchased Pentax over Canon or Nikon ie D70 or
> : 20D etc?
>
> A small fortune in old Pentax lenses and special effect filters, just
> gathering dust. If I purchased any other brand of D-SLR I would have to
> purchase an entire new set of lenses, which would have added over $1k on
> top of the camera body. I will probably be purchasing many new lenses in
> the next few years but in the mean time I can return to the photo
> techniques and abilities that became unavailable when I made the move from
> 35mm to digital many years ago.

And of course, when Pentax bring out a full-frame sensor version, you'll
have all the lenses you need to use with it (apart maybe from the few
APS-only ones you buy)

Deep.

(Happy *ist DS owner)
!