Never ending problems with brand new build. Don't know where to start.

kalloused

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2011
I built a DIY system from newegg for my father in law the setup is
* Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (Model: BX80601950)
* GIGABYTE LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Model: GA-X58A-UD3R)
* OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory (Model: OCZ3G1600LV6GK)
* COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (Model: RC-932-KKN1-GP)
* COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (Model: RS850-AMBAJ3-US)
* Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (Model: WD1002FAEX)
* COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler (Model: RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)
*Asus-Nvidia gtx 460
there are two harddrives mirrored.

I put the computer together and installed Win 7 professional. Worked great. Then the Video card went out(which I originally thought was the PSU which I had replaced before discovering the video card problem)

I replaced the Video card and everything was back to normal. Then one of the HDD started to "clunk" and therefore was replaced. My father in law simply unplugged the "clunking" one and plugged in the new one not knowing he had to go into the BIOS. The computer turned on, actually booted into Win7 but froze.

I came over and deleted the RAID configuration set up for the old hard drive and configured a new one(this led to wiping the first HDD) So I had to install WIN7 again.

The computer will boot, but I can't get past the WIN 7 "splash screen". It just sits there and hangs.
I've tried everything I can think of and his friend who he has work on computers for him dismissed is as "a broken mother board where the SATA drives aren't powerful enough to run the HDD at full capacity"

I kind of find this hard to believe,though plausible. First the video card and now the MoBo?
Everything was running fine up until the point my father in law replaced that HDD. If there is anyway to prevent replacing the MoBo for no reason I would like to.

Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to get really embarrased :??: . I promised him a simple to build, easy running system and it's been one problem after another.
I'm sorry if I put this under the wrong topic, I'm still new here.
Thank you for any help.

Try booting from the Windows CD and repair your installation. If there's an issue with Windows, that should fix it.

You could also try debugging your RAM. Try booting with one stick in the #1 slot (look at your manual) and see if any fail. The OCZ Gold had some issues awhile back, so it is possible that that is the problem.