PC froze and now won't start up

Icychill

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I was playing battlefield 3 when my pc just froze. I wasn't able to press anything not even Ctrl Alt Del. I had just started to hold down the power button but I think it shut off on it's own. This happened about twice before but when I shut it off it turned back on. This time it won't. I've tried everything and it just won't work, unplugged everything, took video card out, took out the ram, left the power cable unplugged, all that stuff. It won't turn on for even a second. When I plug it in, the power and reset button lights go on but that's it. I've only been using this pc for about a week. If it matters it's the Asus P8Z68 deluxe mobo and I'm using a OCZ gold 1000w PSU.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
did you plug everything back in?
main power and cpu power to motherboard
power to video card
memory correctly set
video card correctly set on slot
ssd and hard drive
(I assume that you also have an optical drive)

did you shut down the power supply on the back?
(make sure is on)

does you motherboard has a reset bottom?
most current motherboards do, either on the back panel for easy access or on
the inside (usually along the left)

did you try removing and resetting the cmos battery?

that's all I can think of right now.

Icychill

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Yea I pretty much tried all of that except taking out the battery but I don't want to mess up the thing holding it in. Both the power and the reset buttons do absolutely nothing. When I take the power cable out of the back and put it back in, both the power and reset lights go on then after a few seconds the reset light goes off. It goes back on and stays on when I press the power button, if that matters.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

is just a battery, you can't really damage it in any way.

"both the power and reset buttons do absolutely nothing"

Did the case connections to the board got loose?
Check that the case Power and Reset are plug into the board. (check/verify all pins)
and verify that they are on the correct position (+ -) are not reversed.

Verify with your motherboard user's manual.

Icychill

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Ok I popped the battery out, put it back in and it turned on! After I put the bios setting back it restarted and booted into windows. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: My pc starts up now but now it's freezing during games. It shuts itself off and restarts itself. When I turn it off it just turns itself back on and I have to turn the power switch on the back off. What could be the problem?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

It could be virus or malware/spyware related.

Check this pronto.

antimalwarebytes

superantimalware

nod32

the first 2 are free, the last one you can download a 30 day trial and then search for the password online.

Some might catch something but might not catch everything.

nod32 is the best I have found so far, the other 2 are very good also, specially for spyware.

but nod32 can kill TROJANS efficiently.