knuge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hey everyone,

Well lately I've been encountering some blue screens with the infamous nv4_disp.dll error. Upon doing some research I found my drivers were out of date. Well after installing the up-to-date drivers I thought my problem would go away... No.

I just got the BSoD again while in a game and had to restart. I downloaded FurMark and ran a diagnostic for the benchmark and this is the report:

Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
Drivers: Forceware 6.14.12.6658
GPU-Z: Core:550MHz - Mem: 900MHz - Shader: 1375MHz
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+
CPU Speed: 2705 MHz
System Memory: 2047 MB

Now my max temp is reading 74 degrees Celsius (165* F) :eek:
1280x1024 4x msaa
FPS Avg: 24

My score was 1459 at 60000 ms

Now I know thats waayyy to hot for a cpu to get and I'm wondering how to solve this... Do I need a new mobo? PS? what?

My current MOBO is Gigabyte's S series GA-M59SLI-s4

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
try loading speedfan and see what you get... The nv4 erros is due to your graphics card and a fix can be found here ------> http://www.personalcomputerfixes.com/general-errors/steps-to-resolve-the-nv4_disp-dll-error/ there is no official fix from nvidia

The 74 c is quite high, but i am not sure what the max temp for the 9800 is. At this point, you can try sending it in and having Nvidia take a look, but I am not sure if your card is still under any warranty and you can reseat the cooler yoursself for cheap. Just reapply thermal paste and put the cooler back on.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Usually, when you overheat, the computer just shuts down without a blue screen.
75 C is pretty hot but your computer should still run just fine. If you're worried about the heat, then try getting a better cooler?

It could also be your RAM. Try running Memtest86+

How much work would it be to reformat your computer? You might still have some corrupted drivers or registry entries left over from your previous nVidia driver install.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

J if it was not looked at already, some of these came with the thremal tape premounted on the heatisnk that was attached as opposed to the thermal paste and the tape just isn't as good at transferring heat. Eventually it wears out and you get the net result of a haot card. I tore up a Sapphire Radeon AGP card in my old computer beucase I didn't know that, Rma'd it and they replaced the stupid tape with mroe tape. Ended up fixing it myself later when I found that out, but by the time I knew the damage was done and the card never worked the same.

evilavatar

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
sorry I read that wrong, I thout you were referring to the card temps. the thermal paste still applies, but not n the same fashion. And the link I sent along with the explenation of the blue screen nv4 error still stands. That is realated to your video card. check the link and skip the part at the end about the registry stuff if you like, though clearing the registry (if you know what you are doing) is not a bad thing.

knuge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I ran speedfan and I'm still averaging 72ish* C. The card is brand new and has only been in for a few months. It replaced my two 7800 Cards that i ran on SLI. I do not, however, run my current 9800 GT on SLI. But if overheating wont cause this BSoD then I'll have to do a fresh wipe on my drivers and re-install. And this card I have, a ZOTAC NVidia 9800 GT, is one big heat sink on the opposite side of it with a small fan.

Where did you get that reading from? Are you sure that's not your graphics card temp?

knuge

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
OK I found something Odd... Upon following the directions from one of these sites regarding the nv4 issue, I got to the point where I had to find the dll in my windows32 folder. When I found the nv4_disp.dll, I also found 11 more! All labled like so:
nv4_disp.dll
nv4_disp(2).dll
nv4_disp(3).dll
etc all the way to (11)

I also notice many other Nvidia dll's also go to (11). Is this the registry that is talked about getting cleaned all the time??

TRENDING THREADS