Sign in with
Your question

First Build Critique 2.0

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2011 6:15:04 PM

A few day's ago I posted on the board about a build I wanted to make because this is my first time building a computer and wanted some feedback on it.I recieved some great feedback and made some changes based on it and am posting again for more advice and feedback if all the parts are compatible.

Aslo I want to thank anyone who takes time to comment and give advice and analogize if I put too much stuff to read.

Approximate Purchase Date: Middle to end of february

Budget Range: $750 before rebates and excluding GPU.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, Movies,Videos, Internt, Homework

Parts Not Required: Os, Monitor,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: US west Coast

Parts Preferences: I'm new to building so I have no preffered.

Overclocking: Yes but not extreme overclocking.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future.(

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 Will be using Acer Monitor

Additional Comments:
I don't need "bling" on my computer and I prefer performance over looks.

I don't know the difference it makes but the games I looking to play are MMORPG's like WoW and Diablo 3. I play shooting games like COD and BBC 2 on either Ps3 or Xbox 360 so those are games I wont play on here.

The budget is without rebates because I don;t know if they will go through and am thinking of them as a bonus if they go through.

Overall i want this to be a computer that will last a while and am planning on upgrading parts as the years go by if i need more memory or will use SlI.

CPU
i5 2500k

Motherboard
ASRock P67 Extreme4

GPU I have a budget for the GPU because it seemed more important and also to be more of a concen in my previous thread.I already have two in mind but dont know which is better. I don't want a GPU to be more more than $210.

This is a comparison from Newegg

RAM
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

Case I would like to know d=from people who have used this case if there is enough rooom for SLI.
Rosewill DESTROYER

PSU I don't know which if these is better in terms of reliability and power needed for future expansion or SLI..

XFX P1-650X-CAH9 650W Modular- This was what was originally reccomonded in my other thread.

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series 650W

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W

Here is a Newegg Comparison

Hard Drive
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

Cd/DVD
LG Black DVD/CD drive

Other Stuff
$30 for Keyboard and mouse.

Questions About Actually Building

I don't know if this allowed on this part of the forums or if someone has already posted a guide on this. I already stated above that this is my first time building and I like to have details because I do not want to mess something up. If you don't want to answer these questions its alright because I mainly want the parts to be reviewed but any other information is appreciated.

Q1. I am already going to get a static wrist strap to be safe but should I build my computer while standing on kitchen linoleum to be extra safe or does carpet not matter?

Q2. Should I assemble the mobo, GPU, ram, cpu and CPU cooler outside the case to make sure all the parts work correctly and then move it in?

Any other tips you can give me because I want to stress that I want building and starting it up to go as smoothly as possible. I know there might be problems like some part being DOA and needing to return and get a replacement or it might take a couple of attempts for it to boot. I just want to be super careful.

So once again thank you for reading and commenting and sorry for so much text and any spelling errors or misuse of a term.

More about : build critique

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2011 7:29:13 PM

There's a step-by-step guide through one of the stickies at the top of the forum.

The only added comment I have from the other thread is that since then, the Antec Earthwatts 650W has come back in stock at $65. I would have actually recommended this one, but it was sold out. I'd probably choose between the Earthwatts and the XFX. The XFX is more efficient and modular, but it's also more expensive.

Really, all the PSUs you've listed are good, excluding the Corsair "Enthusiast" series. If I'm correct, Corsair just released a new 650W that is significantly lower quality than their usual PSUs. Since I don't remember seeing the Enthusiast units until recently, I beleive those are the lower quality ones. Even if it's not, the XFX and Antec would both be better, as both are cheaper, and the XFX is more efficient and modular.

As for the GPU, I'd pick between the GTX 460 1 GB and the HD 6870. The 6870 is a bit more powerful, but it's also more expensive. The 460 would be better once you SLI it. Also, brand doesn't make a big difference in GPUs. Generally, I recommend either getting one of the cheapest ones or one from a company that provides a great warranty, like XFX's double lifetime warranty.

On to your questions.

#1: Building on carpet increases the odds of building up static. I'd build in the kitchen to avoid that. You can't be too careful.

#2: I'd put together the CPU, board, HSF and RAM outside of the case. You'll have more room to work with and can be more careful that way. However, the GPU is generally difficult to install outside of the case, as it often has to fit into a slot in the back of the case.

As for tips, my only major point of advice is to expect to have to put a lot of force into installing the HSF. I always forget how hard you have to push it to get it secure. I always feel like I'm going to break the board.
January 27, 2011 7:45:29 PM

Thank you again for giving me advice especially about the PSU. I'm thinking about the modular because it will improve cable management.As for the GPU, i've read NVIDIA is better than ATI so i will go with that and properly SLI it later.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 27, 2011 8:48:43 PM

here's my suggestion: The Seasonic S12II 520W should do for dual 6850s or a single GTX 560 or 570 or HD 6870/6950, and its $59.99.

there is a combo on newegg right now for the 2500K + Hd6850 for $374.99, or for a 6870 for $434.99, ($150 and $210 over the $224.99 of the processor, respectively)
January 27, 2011 11:26:21 PM

I am going to go with the SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W because it received great review and after looking up its quality it seems to be a reliable brand. Another reason over the other SeaSonic is the fact that its modular.

As for the GPU i will use EVGA GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1gb and in the future I will use SLI.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 28, 2011 12:29:07 PM

dont use the 465! ick! The 460 is better in every way, nevermind the 5xx series
!