according to rumors and leaks-
current ivb supporting pch: h61, h67, p67, z68 (will require a bios and driver upgrade)
not supporting: b and q series (corporate/executive pch)
ivb-specific pch: h77, z75, z77 (known so far).
you should wait for the platform to launch and then you (and the rest of us) can find out for sure if it works the way its rumored to work. latest launch rumor suggests around april 9 2012 or something.
intel hassn't been upgrade friendly in the past. it'll be interesting to see how this time works out.
check the ivb sticky in the cpu section. it is very informative.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
I've read its supposed to be socket 1155, but again like de5_roy intel also has a reputation of not being upgrade friendly so I'll have to wait and see. Luckily I'm not doing my new build until mid summer so the 7xxx GPUs and Ivy bridge should be out by then. I'm not sure if I'll be going with Ivy bridge right off the bat though, I know for sure a 7970 so I'll want a 3.0 pci e, but Ivy bridge is another question.

Edit: edit I'm also hoping Hard drives go down by then.. so far its about $408 for two WD black 750gb, I really hope they fall by mid-end summer so I can get two 1.5tb for almost half the price.....of course everyones saying at least a year from when the floods in Thailand happened (which was what like October-November right?)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Need a build now so I was going to go 2600k and then might upgrade to IB but might not... Not to hot on the motherboard section but this
ASUS 1155 P8Z68-V PRO will work with IB correct or at least should?