Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing a 1155 socket MB

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2011 5:06:01 PM

Hello, i have been planning to build a computer for a while now, i had chosen most of the parts, but i have recently found out that the processor i was going to get (fx-8150) is crap, so i have decided to got for the i7-2600k, but i am stuck on which motherboard to buy, i have managed to get down to these 4, but i need further help.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/Maxi...

http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre...

i am mainly going to be using my computer for gaming, but i also watch alot of youtube videos and have lots of tabs and processes running. i have already brought my graphics card (ati radeon HD 6970), but i may crossfire in the future.

any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance

More about : choosing 1155 socket

a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 5:18:09 PM

I wouldn't call the 8150 crap, I mean it's a good cpu and it's potential is really unseen until Win8 comes out. Just cause it can't beat the best doesn't make it crap.

That's like saying a Cadillac CTS-V is crap because it's 0-60 time is .2 seconds slower than a Ferrari California. Besides the Cadillac is $190,000 cheaper.

Anyways, you haven't mentioned your budget, but the best z68 going for $115 is this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you main use is gaming and you tube, etc, a 2500K would be a cheaper and more logical choice for you.

You have to remember with a single high end graphics card, a 8150 is gonna pull the same exact fps as a 2600K in gaming with most games. Some MMO's being the exception and very few cpu bound games.

Your almost always gpu limited before your cpu limited.

Now using 2 or 3 high end cards is a different story, you'll want a overclocked i5-2500k.
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 5:24:19 PM

Agree with ^

A 2600k is pointless for what you will be using it for. Save money there and get a 2500k, and OC it.

As far as MB choices I personally go with the Gigabyte or Maximus IV board. Especially if I was going to get a 2500k and OC the crap outta it.
Related resources
December 30, 2011 5:27:49 PM

i know its not crap, its got the overclocking world record.. lol
and for budget when i was gonna get the fx-8150 i was gonna spend £270 on the motherboard, so under £300 its fine (which is about $450) so ye..

and i though that the extreme7 would be better then the extreme3 that u mention?

also, iv already considered the i5-2500k and decided to spend an extra £100 on the i7 :p  XD
December 30, 2011 5:27:52 PM

Honestly if you're not going to be doing a lot of coding an i7 is a waste (the hyperthreading is unneeded if you're not), get an i5 instead save some money. As for the mobos it really depends on your budget, and if how many hard drives you want raid, do you want to OC, and are you ever going to want to upgrade to the 7xxx series.

Asus tends to make great OC boards

Personally the Maximus IV Extreme-Z seems like a waste, how many usb 3.0 ports do you really need? One for your phone and your ipod? It doesn't even have pci e 3.0 and if you only plan on crossfiring two cards you don't need all those extra pci e 2.0 slots.

the GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 same gripes as the the Maximus just don't need all those extra bells and whistle for what you want to do.

Honestly the Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 is also a waste imo if you only want crossfire two cards

I'd just go with the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3
Fully PCI-Express 3.0 Ready, Intel Z68 motherboard, get an i5 and a 7xxx, later on upgrade IB and crossfire two 7xxx
December 30, 2011 5:30:57 PM

The board geekapproved mentioned is probably you're best bet especially for that price.
December 30, 2011 5:35:42 PM

If you go with Asrock, I would choose the Z68 Professional over the Extreme 7. They are pretty much the same price, but I see lots of posts of people having quirky issues with the Extreme 7. The Fatal1ty Prof is rock solid and IMO the better of the 2 boards. It's also comparable to or better than the Maximus IV for about $100 less!

And 10% off at Newegg until 1/1/2012. Z68 Fatality Prof for $230 is a pretty good deal (I paid $255).

December 30, 2011 5:41:12 PM

Thanks delengowski, i think that il get the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3, ur right plus its got anti-surge which will help, il blown my current desktop up twice XD
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 5:44:07 PM

Look at forums comparing the 2500k and 2600k, every single one of them will say the 2500k is better for gaming, and it many benchmarks it actually outperforms the i7.

You said you were building this for gaming / daily use, get the 2500k, it is better (and not just because of the price)

If you are going to be doing heavy 3ds or maya rendering, heavy autocad, or massive 1080 video editing, then you can get the i7.

For gaming the i7 will actually slow you down.

I personally stay away from ASRock, I know they have gotten better, but I have been burnt by them before. I always go with Asus, Gigabyte or EVGA
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 5:44:32 PM

For a side-by-side compare (except Gigabyte): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Newegg was out of Gigabyte Board, but her is a link to it.

I know you are in the UK, but the US newegg site is a good place to look. I also always read the reviews, primarily the 1/2 egg one - Have to take with a gran of salt, many do NOT have the claimed knowledge, and some damage the unit, then blame Manuf (ie ESD damage)

Looking at the reviews (just numbers, did not rtead individual), the AzRock does not fair to well. I have the Asrock p68 Extreme4 and have had no problems with. The p8x68 Deluxe seems to have the best ratings. My preference has been Gigabyte MB. Out of the last four builds, three were gigabyte, only reason I went with thr asrock was that Gigabyte initial Z68 offerings did NOT include a HDMI port on the back panel.
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 5:48:24 PM

The P8Z68 is a decent board, but if you really want to OC and use the potential of the CPU get the Maximus.

Also, PCIe 3.0 means absolutely nothing right now, or for quite a while longer. There are NO GPU's that come close to using the potential of PCIe 2.0.

The GTX 590 which is the most powerful card currently on the market, and is actually 2 GPU's on a single card *barely* uses PCIe 2.0 x8, and is nowhere close to using all 16 lanes.
December 30, 2011 5:54:32 PM

itzdanielp said:
The P8Z68 is a decent board, but if you really want to OC and use the potential of the CPU get the Maximus.

Also, PCIe 3.0 means absolutely nothing right now, or for quite a while longer. There are NO GPU's that come close to using the potential of PCIe 2.0.

The GTX 590 which is the most powerful card currently on the market, and is actually 2 GPU's on a single card *barely* uses PCIe 2.0 x8, and is nowhere close to using all 16 lanes.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 7970 coming out in about 10 days supposed to be pci e 3.0?
December 30, 2011 5:59:15 PM

ur right Delengowski, just did a quick google and its ment to be released on the 9th of January
December 30, 2011 6:02:28 PM

RetiredChief said:
For a side-by-side compare (except Gigabyte): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

Newegg was out of Gigabyte Board, but her is a link to it.

I know you are in the UK, but the US newegg site is a good place to look. I also always read the reviews, primarily the 1/2 egg one - Have to take with a gran of salt, many do NOT have the claimed knowledge, and some damage the unit, then blame Manuf (ie ESD damage)

Looking at the reviews (just numbers, did not rtead individual), the AzRock does not fair to well. I have the Asrock p68 Extreme4 and have had no problems with. The p8x68 Deluxe seems to have the best ratings. My preference has been Gigabyte MB. Out of the last four builds, three were gigabyte, only reason I went with thr asrock was that Gigabyte initial Z68 offerings did NOT include a HDMI port on the back panel.

in that link u posted it says that the extreme7 supports hyperthreading, but it doesnt say anythink about the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 having it, does that mean that the i7-2600k's hyperthreading wont be supported on that motherboard?
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 6:07:13 PM

It is designed with PCIe 3.0 but it putting it in a 2.0 slot will not throttle it at all since it uses the same bandwidth that a GTX580 uses, which is far below a 2.0 x8
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 6:07:50 PM

michaelomah said:
in that link u posted it says that the extreme7 supports hyperthreading, but it doesnt say anythink about the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 having it, does that mean that the i7-2600k's hyperthreading wont be supported on that motherboard?

Games do not support hyperthreading
December 30, 2011 6:09:12 PM

itzdanielp said:
Games do not support hyperthreading

i know but i wont be just playing games..
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 6:13:11 PM

michaelomah said:
i know but i wont be just playing games..

" going to be using my computer for gaming, but i also watch alot of youtube videos and have lots of tabs and processes running."

Nothing there uses hyperthreading...

The only place you are going to really find hyperthreading is in 3D animation and design and heavy photo / video editing programs.
December 30, 2011 6:22:42 PM

well i might do abit of video editing, plus the question was weather the motherboard would support hyperthreading, cuz if not then id either get the extreme7 or i5-2500k
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 6:26:25 PM

I was a little slow in posting.
I'm sure the P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 supports hyperthreading.
While the I5-2500k would perform just as well as the I7-2600k, The I7-2600k
would perform better with encoding video and with programs that suppot hyperthreading and would be more "future" proof - if there is such a thing as future proofing LOL.

On MBs, The very high end may not buy you that much more than say the $200-> $250 MBs when looking at cost/performance/features. x8,x8 for xfire should be fine. Only need so many USB2/3 ports.
For sata ports, generally the more the better. But keep this in mind, Generally 2 of the 4 sata III (6) ports are on a Mavel controller, OK for SATA III (6) HDDs, but NOT for SATA III SSDs. Sata III HDDs are more a marketing tool as the only benifit is in burst speed. What I currently have set up is 1 Blu-ray writer on sata II port (plan on adding a 2nd one, 2 HDD on SATA II ports (may move to Marvel Sata III ports) and my two SSDs on the Intel Sata III ports).
December 30, 2011 6:29:29 PM

hmm interesting, i was planning to get a 2tb HHD (6GB/s 7200RPM) and a 120GB SSD, for fast boot and i think i can use 60GB of it for cache :D 
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 6:38:37 PM

If using a 120/128 gig SSD for OS+Programs - SKIP the HDD caching.
I use two SSD in my two desktops and one laptop. One SSD for OS + Programs and the Second one for a work/scratch disk. I think I can select what I want in the 2nd SSD better than the algorthum tring to "guess" whaty I want. Also a portion of the cache will simply cache the OS + program files that you load - NO need as this is what the first SSD does.

Added. HDDs are slower than SATA II. only benifit is in a short burst. They are starting to come out with Hybred drives (small 8+ gig SSD incorporated into HDD). This would make for an improvement in performance - Good choice for the Marvel SATA III ports. Use the Intel sata III ports for SSDs
December 30, 2011 7:27:35 PM

well i was planning to get this SSD http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270874512865?ssPageName=STRK:...
and this HDD http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150726362882?ssPageName=STRK:...

and i was planning to put the OS and programs on it like u said, but i was thinking i cud get a 2nd one for games, tho it wont do much it should reduce loading times and reduce responce time.

but i dont know much about the SATA II and SATA III that ur taking about. how are they different to normal Hard drives?
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 7:37:03 PM

HDDs have a limitation on data rate based primarily on RPMs and the density of the magnetic domains on the platers. Even the 15K RPM drives do not saturate the SATA II specifications. The only benifit they see when placed on sata III is do to the cache which is much faster, hense the higher burst speed.

My preference for Sata III SSDs is for the Marvel based SSD (ie Curcuial M4 and Intel 510) and the Samsung 830.

I have 8 SSDs, only regreat buying the 2 Agility III, simular controller that is in your link (a SF22xx controller)
December 30, 2011 7:57:19 PM

oh does that mean i wont get 6gb/s out of the HDD even if it says, also do u have any recommendations for which i should get?

also i was wondering, can u crossfire 2 different graphics card model, eg ati radeon 6970 and 7970?
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 8:15:29 PM

(1) You will not get anywhere near a sustained 6gb/s throughput with a HDD.
(2) Your ability to xfire two 6970, or 7970s will be determined by your PSU, wattage and number of 6/8 pin pcie pwr connectors. Of coarse your MB has to support, ie at least 2 x16 slots in a x8,x8 mode.

For Power requirements, look to a review that provides power then up that by a Min of 205. Will see what I find.

For eample: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1488/18/
for 6970s - 600 Watts, so a good 750 would be fine. Just make sure it is a "GOOD" psu, like a corsair.
For the 7970, looks very close to 6970: http://www.techspot.com/review/481-amd-radeon-7970/page...
a c 121 V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 8:26:51 PM

Xfire or SLI requires 2 of the same model cards.
December 30, 2011 8:34:51 PM

powers not a problem, im planning to get a Corsair CMPSU-1200AXUK Professional Series Gold 1200W Power Supply :) 

and ok, i just get another 6970, or buy two 7970 :p  depends on how much they are, i cud just use them speparatly, on different monitors, im planning to have 3 24inch monitors, already got one of them :) 
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 8:39:34 PM

ENJOY
December 30, 2011 8:59:14 PM

Man I'd love to have an unlimited budget to buy whatever I want without even knowing how the hardware works
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 9:33:19 PM

^ If you are refering to the 7970's
Although there are some reviews out, I normally wait from 3 -> 6 Months for others to DEBUG/give "Real" users off the self reviews. And that has nothing to do with budget.
December 30, 2011 10:40:54 PM

michaelomah said:
well i might do abit of video editing, plus the question was weather the motherboard would support hyperthreading, cuz if not then id either get the extreme7 or i5-2500k

Asrock Z68 Professional supports hyper-threading. So does the Extreme7, but like I said the z68 Professional seems the better board.

Get the i7-2600k. If you even think you might be photo / video editing, spend a little more money and have what you need.

Good luck!
December 30, 2011 11:43:25 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ If you are refering to the 7970's
Although there are some reviews out, I normally wait from 3 -> 6 Months for others to DEBUG/give "Real" users off the self reviews. And that has nothing to do with budget.

I was just talking about testing hardware out in general, but you were talking about using 2 SSDs and one as a cache? How does that work? I was planning on using a SSD for OS & Programs, then two HDD for everything else but whats this you were talking about using a smaller SSD for cache? My plan was to use the mobo that I was raving about and raid the two HDD in 0, but I'm curious about what you're talking about with using the second HDD.
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 11:57:05 PM

No, 2nd SSD is for a scratch/work drive. I'm not for using a 2nd SSD as a cache drive using Z68 SRT.
I did mention about HDDs that are hybrid drives in that they have a very small SSD (about 8 gig (hopefuly that will increase somewhat) Specifyically Seagate has one, and I was saying that these drives would benifit by using a SATA III more so than standard sata III HDD using a VERY small 32 -. 64 Mb cache.
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2011 10:10:43 PM

Delengowski said:
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the 7970 coming out in about 10 days supposed to be pci e 3.0?

Sandy Bridge doesn't support PCI-E 3.0. You need a Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge cpu for that.
January 1, 2012 12:58:13 AM

of course but for future upgrades wouldn't it just be smarter to get the board that already has pci e 3.0 so when you eventually upgrade to ivy bridge you get max performance.
a b V Motherboard
January 1, 2012 12:56:44 PM

I would, but my board isn't 3.0 and supports Ivy Bridge and I'll have no problem running a 3.0 card on my 2.1 board and won't notice the difference.

By the way the board I recommended to you is 3.0.
!