Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

PS Suggestions (need your opinion)

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
April 25, 2011 5:15:24 AM

Building a P67 Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500..

Thoughts on good power supplies that are ~$100 and under:

Seasonic s12 II bronze 520w.. - Got stellar reviews....Opinions, and alternates if this is not a decent PS?

TIA

More about : suggestions opinion

Related resources
a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 6:58:56 AM

ghnader hsmithot said:
I dislike corsair products because they arent modular.

You've been looking at the wrong Corsair series.

The Corsair Professional series “HX” are hybrid modular.

The Corsair Professional series Gold “AX” are fully modular.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 7:00:57 AM

Yes i havent used i lot of corsair products but i would try to look up a few more.Thanks for the suggestions.
m
0
l
a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 7:05:01 AM

fallout1 said:
Building a P67 Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500..

Thoughts on good power supplies that are ~$100 and under:

Seasonic s12 II bronze 520w.. - Got stellar reviews....Opinions, and alternates if this is not a decent PS?

TIA

That Seasonic s12 II bronze 520w may or may not be sufficient.

What graphics card are you using? Do you plan on adding another graphics card in the future to run CrossFireX or SLI mode?
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 2:43:47 PM

ko888 said:
That Seasonic s12 II bronze 520w may or may not be sufficient.

What graphics card are you using? Do you plan on adding another graphics card in the future to run CrossFireX or SLI mode?



Going to stick with a single graphics card for the time being. No plans for CrossFire or SLI.. Do you think the Seasonic is sufficient under those circumstances..?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 2:45:05 PM

depends on what card you are getting.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 2:47:42 PM

Emperus said:
If you are going to keep it to a single video card then consider getting this XFX unit -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681720700...

For more power needs and if you prefer to have a modular PSU, this is a very good buy -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681737102...

And on a side note, the i5 2500K is a mere 15$ costlier compared to the i5 2500..



Is the XFX superior to the Seasonic? I will only be running a single GPU, nothing hardcore..You think 520W is too low?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 2:56:27 PM

Yes but what gpu are you planning to get?
I think the xfx is a good brand but seasonic is superior.Get xfx because you can upgrade
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 3:01:31 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
depends on what card you are getting.


Maybe something like and AMD 6850..I see w/ NewEgg's PSU calculator that card w/ all the other components draws ~419W..So with a 520W psu is that too small of a difference to run only a 520?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 3:02:08 PM

i think xfx is nice.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 3:56:25 PM

You guys should know a little problem that I had. I build a sandy bridge i5 2500k, hyper 212+ cooler, with a gtx 260. My corsair cx600w was not enough for that set up. I kind of knew 600 wasnt enough but I kept reading from others that it should be plenty enough. I recommend not to go cheap on the psu. For $100 there are plenty of choices out there. Just dont go cheap, and if you have to put another $10 then by all means.

Important specs you should consider are:

%80 power rating GOLD = This is important just in case your setup pulls more power than you think. Because of this little detail, when my psu started failing it didnt take any other components with it.

SLI/CrossFire ready= you said your not planning on it but at least your ready if you upgrade in the future

750watts (at least) = This should be plenty, but if you can squish more under $100 the better.

Again, do not go cheap on PSU

Here is my recommendation: Cooler Master GX series 750w. The brand may not be the greatest when it comes to PSU's but the specs meet your budget perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Power-Supply-RS750-...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 4:00:02 PM

I really dont know how your corsair could not be enough.Could be a failing psu.
I have got a ocz with a gtx 580 and its working alrite.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 4:18:35 PM

your right, it might have been a faulty psu and probably I was really lucky :fou:  . But I kept thinking that back in 99 I bougth my first pc with a 300w that lasted me for 5 years with several upgrades. I had an off the shelf HP Pavillion with another 300w and still was good untill I build my sandy bridge pc. So I thought that with a respectable and recognized brand I should be fine. :non:  Dont get me wrong, I still like corsair, if it wasnt for the %80 cert. crap I would have been screwed. But is best to go well above of what you need with a PSU.

m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 5:01:56 PM

maverick knight said:
You guys should know a little problem that I had. I build a sandy bridge i5 2500k, hyper 212+ cooler, with a gtx 260. My corsair cx600w was not enough for that set up. I kind of knew 600 wasnt enough but I kept reading from others that it should be plenty enough. I recommend not to go cheap on the psu. For $100 there are plenty of choices out there. Just dont go cheap, and if you have to put another $10 then by all means.

Important specs you should consider are:

%80 power rating GOLD = This is important just in case your setup pulls more power than you think. Because of this little detail, when my psu started failing it didnt take any other components with it.

SLI/CrossFire ready= you said your not planning on it but at least your ready if you upgrade in the future

750watts (at least) = This should be plenty, but if you can squish more under $100 the better.

Again, do not go cheap on PSU

Here is my recommendation: Cooler Master GX series 750w. The brand may not be the greatest when it comes to PSU's but the specs meet your budget perfectly.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Power-Supply-RS750-...

Sorry to burst your bubble but that particular unit is a steaming pile!
It can't produce the labelled power output and is miserable in other important areas.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-GX...
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 6:21:50 PM

JAJA Well I did said the brand is not great. I did a random search. My bad. I went with a good psu and it turn out bad. In order to not have the same problem I went with 800w 12v 60a, modular psu. Enough for what I have and I dont plan on overclocking or go dual GPU. I least I wont have to worry bout stressing my PSU.

I know that you do get my point. Just get a pSU that is MORE than enough. And keep in mind upgrades. Just because your not thinking about it now doesnt mean that you wont do it in the future...
m
0
l
a c 91 ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 6:26:31 PM

fallout1 said:
Is the XFX superior to the Seasonic? I will only be running a single GPU, nothing hardcore..You think 520W is too low?


The Seasonic 520 is a quality product.. But, its costlier and non modular (if it matters to you) compared to the XFX unit mentioned here.. Btw, the XFX unit is actually a Seasonic make so you can be sure about quality.. Also, it has a better wattage rating (which it can actually deliver too).. Either will be plenty for your setup though..
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 25, 2011 9:57:08 PM

fallout1 said:
Maybe something like and AMD 6850..I see w/ NewEgg's PSU calculator that card w/ all the other components draws ~419W..So with a 520W psu is that too small of a difference to run only a 520?

A Radeon HD 6850 has a maximum board power of 127 Watts. This means it will draw up to a maximum of 10.6 Amps from the +12V rails. Overclocking the Radeon HD 6850 will draw more than 10.6 Amps from the +12 Volt rails.

AMD recommends a 500 Watt or greater power supply unit with at least one 75W 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector. There should also be the ability to provide a minimum of 30 Amps or more on the combined +12 Volt rail(s).

The Seasonic S12 II Bronze SS-520GB, with its ability to provide 40 Amps on its combined +12 Volt rails, is more than capable of handling your intended configuration.
Share
April 26, 2011 10:09:32 PM

Best answer selected by fallout1.
m
0
l
April 26, 2011 10:10:19 PM

Thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated. Also looking at the Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W..
m
0
l
a c 289 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 2:39:21 AM

The ripple concern arose during an extreme crossload scenario, it would be impossible to achieve anywhere near that level of crossloading which an actual system since the CPU and GPU pull most of the system power and they pull it from the 12V rail, the only things that use 3.3V and 5V power are HDDs, ODDs, RAM, and some on board devices, if you tried really hard i would say that the most you would be able to pull from the 3.3V and 5V rails in a modern system would be about 5A each, and that would be a lot of hard drives.

In short, the ripple concern is only a theoretical issue and not a practical issue as that load arrangement is impossible to replicate with a computer.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 2:37:43 PM

I just can't decide on a PSU..I'm going between the XFX XXX 650 and the Seasonic S12 II 520 bronze..I read a few posts on Tom's forums emphasizing how a single gpu SB build does NOT need a 600W+ psu. But I see for a Radeon 6950 alone it recommends ~ a 500W psu..The seasonic seems the most stable, but how do you think it will fare with several external harddrives, peripherals,etc? I won't be purchasing a 6950 yet but I want to at least not tax the rig from the outset.
m
0
l
a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 5:47:45 PM

fallout1 said:
I just can't decide on a PSU..I'm going between the XFX XXX 650 and the Seasonic S12 II 520 bronze..I read a few posts on Tom's forums emphasizing how a single gpu SB build does NOT need a 600W+ psu. But I see for a Radeon 6950 alone it recommends ~ a 500W psu..The seasonic seems the most stable, but how do you think it will fare with several external harddrives, peripherals,etc? I won't be purchasing a 6950 yet but I want to at least not tax the rig from the outset.

Most external hard disk drives that are in their own enclosures have their own power supplies. You haven't given any specifics on the external hard disk drives that you are talking about so I can only speculate. Do they have an eSATA or USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 interface?

What kind of peripherals are you talking about?
m
0
l
a c 289 ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 6:31:48 PM

Hard drives usually top out at about 15W, if its an external drive that is only powered off of 1 or 2 USB connectors its limited to 2.5W or 5W respectively so it really doesnt matter how many HDDs and USB devices you hook up, it wont make a significant load. USB provides up to 500mA at 5V, so even if you have 10 USB devices connected thats only 25W, your CPU uses about twice that at idle.
m
0
l
April 29, 2011 5:22:01 AM

ko888 said:
Most external hard disk drives that are in their own enclosures have their own power supplies. You haven't given any specifics on the external hard disk drives that you are talking about so I can only speculate. Do they have an eSATA or USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 interface?

What kind of peripherals are you talking about?


My mistake...All my externals have their own power supplies, as you suspected. No other externals.

That being said, I've seen mention of a Seasonic M12 II 620W PSU as well. Is this an older unit? As long as the S12 II 520 is sufficient (with some breathing room) I'll go with that, but I am willing to go with a 620 if anyone thinks its a good idea..Then again others are railing against 600W+ PSUs for Sandy Bridge ...I'm definitely leaning toward a an HD 6850 as well
m
0
l
April 29, 2011 1:32:58 PM

I guess I'm curious on how close to max a 520 will put me in relation to OCing my RAM (to 1600) and any future OCing I may want to do. If I'm right close to the max safe level I'd be willing to buy a bit of room
m
0
l
a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 29, 2011 5:15:12 PM

fallout1 said:
I guess I'm curious on how close to max a 520 will put me in relation to OCing my RAM (to 1600) and any future OCing I may want to do. If I'm right close to the max safe level I'd be willing to buy a bit of room

The Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze already has enough breathing room (i.e. in reserve) to handle any overclocking.

The Seasonic M12II series has been discontinued and stock that is still in the distribution channel is being cleared out. I think there was only a 430 Watt and a 500 Watt model in this series.

The Seasonic M12II Bronze is its replacement. There are only two models, a 520 Watt and a 620 Watt, in this series as well. This series is a semi-modular design.

If the model you are thinking of getting is the Seasonic M12II-620 Bronze (SS-620GM) then get it if it's a good deal. The semi-modular design would help with cable management and air flow. It will even handle two overclocked Radeon HD 6850 in CrossFireX mode if you ever wanted to do that.
m
0
l
April 29, 2011 7:16:53 PM

Ah, yes, M12II-620 Bronze (SS-620GM) is the model I was referring to. I'm assuming the "M" stands for modular. Ok, thank you for your help, I'll take a look at some prices.
m
0
l
April 29, 2011 9:01:20 PM

I've got a $25 gift card from Amazon that I'd like to use but most of the Seasonics are either out of stock or don't ship for 3-5weeks! I read that the Corsair TX650 is a Seasonic inside..This one seems decent.. Any recs on Corsair PSUs?
m
0
l
a c 1205 ) Power supply
April 30, 2011 2:48:40 AM

fallout1 said:
I've got a $25 gift card from Amazon that I'd like to use but most of the Seasonics are either out of stock or don't ship for 3-5weeks! I read that the Corsair TX650 is a Seasonic inside..This one seems decent.. Any recs on Corsair PSUs?

The Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2) uses Seasonic as the OEM.

Recommendations would depend on your budget and whether or not you want a modular power supply unit.

Corsair Builder Series : non-modular value line

Corsair Gaming Series : non-modular for mid-spec gaming PCs

Enthusiast Series : non-modular best price-performance range of power supplies

Corsair Professional Series : semi-modular for high-end gaming PCs and workstations

Corsair Professional Series Gold : fully modular and more than 90% efficient for discerning enthusiasts
m
0
l
April 30, 2011 5:38:40 AM

I'd prefer to stay at or under $100...It's for a Radeon 6850-ish type Sandy Bridge system..Modular is nice, but hard to find in lower priced PSUs I gather..Mostly Enthusiast or Gaming series from what I've seen...TX 650v2 looks nice..

m
0
l
!