Sign in with
Your question

Got all the right parts except need a better case

Last response: in Components
April 25, 2011 5:51:37 AM

Hi all. As the subject of the post says, I got all the right parts for my PC except for the case. My CPU overheats from time to time when running CPU intensive programs/games. I can tell because it beeps (60+C warning). I've changed my CPU heatsink to an Arctic Freezer Pro v7 and used Arctic MX-2 Thermal paste as well but it still overheats. I've posted about this on a forum and someone suggested that it could very well be because of my case being too small to ventilate the air inside properly for my PC build. I've tried lowering the voltage of my CPU by -0.1 because it started to overheat during a Windows XP install, so I reset, went into the CMOS settings and adjusted the voltage down so now its 1.3v, instead of the original 1.4v but it still overheated. The thing is though, although I've read about my PC build, I don't really know what to get for a case. I've had a look at the shop where I bought my PC build (Scan Computers) but I'm confused as to what to get. I have a high end PC gaming rig so I want something that can deal with the heat of my CPU and GPU well. Also, would it be wise for me to get an extra fan to cool my system down or would a big case be enough? Thank you.

This is my build:

CPU: AMD PHENOM2 X4 965 AM3 BLK 125 with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2 (@3.4Ghz)
GPU: 1GB XFX HD5850 XXX (GPU clock: 755Mhz / Memory clock: 1125Mhz)
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator BEMP
MB: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 MoBo AM3
PSU: CAIR 650W CMPSU-650TXUK
Case:ASUS TAK51 MID TOWER BLACK

More about : parts case

a b ) Power supply
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2011 5:59:08 AM

I think considering 60c is ok.Did you switch on the cpu warning beep in bios?
Quote:
When it came to overclocking the Phenom II X4 965, I aimed high trying to get over 4.0GHz on air. For this I used a Thermaltake ISGC-400 CPU cooler with the fan speed set on high. Even with this the temperatures soared over the 62C threshold for the CPU.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/phenomii_965/17...
Overclockerclub.com states that getting it to 4.0ghz with a aftermarket cooler would result in high temps.I think it is ok.But if you want to lower your temps you should go for a better you should at least buy a better case.
You should first tell us your budget.
April 25, 2011 9:53:44 PM

Thanks for the information guys. I suppose I don't need a High Performance Large case as I only have one DVD drive and one HDD so I think I'll go with the regular High Performance cases. Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'll go with Coolermaster. I've been sieving through all the different cases and I'm torn between these two: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus, Black Chassis and Coolermaster HAF 922 Black Mid Tower Computer Chassis. There is a £25 difference in price so I don't know which to go for really. The reason why I chose those two is because the 912 can support 2.5" or 3.5" HDDs but the 922 only supports 3.5" HDD. Its not a big deal since my HDD is a 3.5" but I was thinking if I was to get a new HDD in future, 2.5" seems the popular choice nowadays so I'm worried I could get stuck. The 922 is better than the 912 though in terms of cooling because it has an additional 200mm fan so I'm not really sure which one to go for so could anyone recommend which would be the best option?
Related resources
April 26, 2011 1:16:29 AM

Get the haf 912... the haf 922 is going to be a waste of the extra money.
I was too debating on whether i should get the 912 or 922 just last week and decided to go with the 912 since its half the price where i live and i have to say i am very impressed with this case.
I was in the same situation as you as my computer was getting to very high temps even after underclocking my system.
the 2 120mm fans that come with it are more than enough to cool my system:
core i3-550
Sapphire hd 6870
4GB ddr3
550watt PSU

i was able to actually overclock my GPU by 75mHZ on the core and by 100MHZ on the memoy clock and keep it stable without adjusting voltages and my GPU temps still never go above 75C with OC

heres a comparison with the haf 912 vs haf 922:

HAF 912:
great cable management
can fit 12" cards without removing the middle HDD cage and can fit 15" if removed
enough room for 7" CPU coolers
only 1 tool free 5.25" drive bay
all tool free 3.5" HDD bays
2x 120mm fans

HAF 922:
overkill and is very long, fits 14" cards without removing HDD bay
2x 200mm fan
1x 120mm fan
not as good cable management
all tool-less
for more money it is still not painted on the inside

so overall i didnt get the haf 922 because it was very long and would have suck out too far from the wall from where i put my computer, it had extra fans but i really didn't need them for my setup, and the 912 had better features per dollar in my view plus i could easily upgrade it to have 200mm fans down the road
a c 164 ) Power supply
a c 105 à CPUs
April 26, 2011 1:31:02 AM

do you have any fans in your asus case? how is your CPU fan positioned? does it push air across the cooler?
!