Will a BFG GTX 260 Work with this motherboard??

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
OK, what PSU do you have? You can check that after opening the case and looking at the label of the PSU. PSU might be the only limitting factor.

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
currently i have a 450w....... think that might run it........ if not are there any specifics( certain amp flow etc) that i should go for? This will be the last modification to this machine before building a new system... Have spent enough on this since getting it 4 years ago. Might keep the same tower but newish mobo, within 2 years, will keep my main 250gb HDD and upgrade RAM, Processor and Graphics card.

Im pretty sure that there will be enough clearance on the heatsink

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Ok an update to this thread and some more help needed...... I have recieved the card.. Wow.. i did not expect it to be that big lol.. anyway there are 2 6pin and another smaller female fitting on the topseide of the card..... the only thing i got with the card is a driver disk and dvi-hdmi dongle..... do i use both 6pins and what is the smaller one fore.. what wire do i need for that and where does it come from/ go?? well with the noobish out the way.. i Had a 450w winpower cack old PSU with standard sata and 4 pin molex connectors, Ive read that ppl dont recomend using 4 pin molex to 6pin Pci-E connectors so I have invested in a Thermaltake toughmaster 700 w PSU....... and a lil gift from the missus 2x2gb Crucial ddr2 667mhz RAM.... I just need to sort out the power to the card/fan so help will be greatfully recieved

tigrc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I think the female fitting on the topside of the card is for SLi (connecting two gtx 260 together, if you have two). Correct me if I'm wrong.

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
u stand corrected lol the sli port is on the other end of the card with a rubber sleeve over it.... i should have gotten some pics,, but ive handled it enough just test fitting it..... having said that it is an encased card n fan so mayble ill grab some pics later and photobucket them

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
well i was searching for a picture on the web i have pretty much answered my own question.... the seperate connector is for the soundcard when using HDMI i believe.... and i see with the card there should have been a 4 pin molex to 2x6pin pci-e connectors.. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/8869-bfg-geforce-gtx-260-896mb-video-card-review-8.html ..... so now all i have to do is get the psu and Ram, I was looking at this, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176157
opinions??

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
for peace of mind would anyone recommend risers? i could gain more clearance on the heatsink.... it shouldnt affect anything should it?

Stiggy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for getting back so soon. Well my psu just turned up....... Almost crapper myself when it turned up in antec 500w box. It was the thermaltake one thank goodness. Anyway with respect to the risers it would just be a Pci-Ex16 to slot into a Pci-Ex16 slot to give from 0.7cm-1 inch clearance from the motherboard. Just dont wanna be too close to asrock sink