tomo123456

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hi,

after a motherboard and psu change, my pc shuts off instantly as if the plug has been pulled out. this can occur anywhere between a few mins or a few hours after booting. I checked my CPU temps and they were both running at about 100 degrees. I assume this is way too high, and I was wondering what the problem was. It's probably the amount of thermal paste I applied, but this is the first time I've done a processor move so I'm a bit nervous about doing it all again. could it be either the new mobo or psu, or is it just me being stupid with the thermal paste?

thanks for your help

Tom

Solution
If this is with the stock Intel HSF, Then I would expect it is not seated properly.
The stock HSF is (1) Famous for not getting the four push pins seated properly, and (2) the Stock HSF is the lowest performance for HSF.

If you plan on keeping this system, Invest $30->$40 for a "GOOD" HSF - The 3rd party HSFs beet the Intel one every way-to-Sunday!
Most commonly recommended, @ $42 Including shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Added - Too much Thermo compound is not good, Thin even coat is good.

laylow

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I know it may not be helpful at all, but maybe you forgot to apply some paste betwwen CPU and heatsink?
Are the fans working-do they get power from the new mobo?

tomo123456

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
@simon12 CPU - Intel E8400 @ 3.0ghz
mobo gigabyte g31m-es2l
gigabyte GT 430 1GB
ocz stealthxstream 600W

@laylow yes i definitely used thermal paste, and the fans are working fine as i ran the pc with the side panel open so i could see.

thanks

Tom

If this is with the stock Intel HSF, Then I would expect it is not seated properly.
The stock HSF is (1) Famous for not getting the four push pins seated properly, and (2) the Stock HSF is the lowest performance for HSF.

If you plan on keeping this system, Invest $30->$40 for a "GOOD" HSF - The 3rd party HSFs beet the Intel one every way-to-Sunday!
Most commonly recommended, @ $42 Including shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Added - Too much Thermo compound is not good, Thin even coat is good.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

My first time with this heatsink fan playing a game got my cpu up to 99c.I hated it ever since.

I used the stock Intel HSF on my E6400, For about 1 Month. Now when I buy a new Processer (My I5-750 OCed to 3.2, My Wifes I3 and I have already ordered and recieved my Zalman 9900Max for my future I5-2500K), I also order a HSF and leave the Stock in the Box. Which is where it belongs - keeps the box from blowing away LOL.