Which temperature reading to trust?

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Hello,
I'm in the process of overclocking my i5-2500k but I'm having some issues deciding which temperature readings to trust? I'm using both Speedfan and Coretemp. I think I applied the thermal paste reasonably well and heatsink/cpu fan/case fans are all functional. Temps below are of the highest core temperature on average:

Non-overclocked (stock at 3.3GHz)

IDLE
Coretemp: 30C
Speedfan: 75C (wtf?)

LOAD
Coretemp: 65C
Speedfan: 84C

Overclocked (4.3GHz)

IDLE
Coretemp: 25C (um.. isn't that kinda low?)
Speedfan: 88C (wtf?!!)

LOAD
Coretemp: 77C
Speedfan: 86C

So I'm asking, is Speedfan actually reliable or is it screwing up on my sensors? Or is my CPU really overheating like crazy? It's been working well so far so I'd say the Coretemp readings are right, because Coretemp readings are actually sensible and coherent with what I'm doing while Speedfan temps kind of bounce around randomly. But at the same time Coretemp seems to have unusual readings on the third CPU core only (14C on idle, on air seems unusual)

Should I ditch Speedfan and go with Coretemp or should I be concerned and check the thermal paste or something? I'd like to be sure so I can resume overclocking in good conditions and try and lower the overclocked load temps by a few degrees. Thanks for your help.

Solution
i have been having this problem about speed fan.My speed fan temps go at -254c to 543c a little while ago when i installed it.Coretemp is much more plausible but the best is everest ultimate edition.
Everest is the best temperature monitor i have got.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
i have been having this problem about speed fan.My speed fan temps go at -254c to 543c a little while ago when i installed it.Coretemp is much more plausible but the best is everest ultimate edition.
Everest is the best temperature monitor i have got.

Solution

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Man that CPU is running really hot :D

I'll give a shot at Everest right now, brb..

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Not really in a position to shell out money for software right now... I'll keep the reference as it will come in handy but I can't right now. I think Coretemp gives reasonable readings then. Would 75C on maximum load (LinX) be too hot for my overclocked i5? Should I aim for 65C just to be safe? I usually try and stay below 80C to avoid damage but I'm coming from laptop world where temps are usually hotter..

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Ok I got the trial version. Temps are identical to Coretemp, they are probably reading the same sensors. I even get the mobo temp as a bonus :D

The Everest voltages are completely off though, but that's probably because it doesn't recognize my mobo (an error message chimed in during loading). I mean 5.51V on the 12V rail can't be right (shows up 12.020 in the BIOS).

Thanks for your help I think I'll stick to Everest and perhaps buy it once the trial expires, seems like an all-around tool. It says it's been "discontinued" though and the company bought out.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I've got an Hyper 212+ lying around but it's kinda impossible to set up. I'm helpless with the manual and I just can't figure out how to use it, even with online videos and stuff. I'll give it another shot tomorrow or the day after, hopefully it'll reduce my temps by 10C or so. I'm not really aiming for an insane overclock either, something around 4.5GHz or so would be satisfactory and make a nice difference in games or high-performance apps without being at the very edge of stability.

Can not help on 212+ installations. I pretty much use Zalman products. Normally higher priced (unless on sale) and not any better except for the MUCH higher priced models.

My E6400 OC to 3.2: Zalman 9500A-led (Great ons-sale price at long gone CompUSA
My I5-750 OC to 3.8 (but run at 3.2): 9700
My planned I5-2500: Zalman 9900Max-B (On sale @ Newegg for $65 - Sale Over).

I'm partial to the solid Cu base (The 9900Max uses a Ni plated Cu block). Also they just look Prettier LOL.

A 212+ is probably one of the easiest coolers to set-up out there.
Put 4 threaded nuts through the mobo holes tighten four nuts on the back plate.
As always remove old paste with isoprophyl alcohol and clean soft cloth.
Apply two lines of paste on the cooler bottom or a simple pea sized blob on cpu.

Slide retention bracket through the heatsink and align with the installed nuts.

Tighten each spring tension screw one at a time in a criss-cross/diagonal pattern.
Count your turns for each one in criss-cross pattern for even pressure.
Secure until they no longer turn. do not apply any more force.
you're done.
You can add more pressure in the middle with the thumbscrew.
Tighten until secured with no additional force required.

SpeedFan is not the most reliable, HWMonitor is much better imo.