Is it ok to add 1.5 0r 1.25v rams to a computer with 1.65v rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
im using 2 ddr3 1.65v rams and i wanna add the G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL to them which are 1.5V is it going to be ok or it might cuz any sort of problem?if it might should i just ditch the old ones or what?im running a gigabyte p55 ud3,i5-650 computer,4GB ram.....thanks in advance

Solution

Slowing things down will not cause instability. This is not about halving the frequencies. This is about just 10-20% less. And actually 1.65V is overclocked memory.
Oh, and since the OP asks these questions, I...

caqde

Distinguished
It is possible it could work but either way you look at it you would basically be overclocking the memory which in and of itself is a risk. The higher the difference in voltage the higher the risk. (Overvolt or Undervolt)

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
All DDR3 memories are required to work at 1.5V. Your 1.65V are actually overclock-friendly memories. But at 1.5V, they will work just not on the highest settings.
So before you put the new memories, check your BIOS to have the RAM set to auto-detection, not customized settings. The performance impact is not so high. Do this before installing because if you have the higher settings forced, the BIOS will try to use them with the new RAM which probably will not work.

no, bad idea, you will either have to undervolt and underclock the ram you have, or overvolt the new ram, which could destroy it. What is the ram your currently running? It may be able to be undervolted, but would need to be underclocked to be stable. There's plenty of 1.65v ram on the market. Safest bet is to remove your old ram and only use the new ram. 8gb is plenty, the extra 4gb wont see you any difference. If anything the older ram with different timings/voltages will just slow the new ram down and cause instability.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

Slowing things down will not cause instability. This is not about halving the frequencies. This is about just 10-20% less. And actually 1.65V is overclocked memory.
Oh, and since the OP asks these questions, I doubt he actually uses 1.65V, since it's also dangerous to the CPU so the BIOS wil not set it by default.

Solution

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

ok now im lost can u explain ....and assuming im only using 1.5.....is it ok to add two 1.25v?

h3sham

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
hm....im assuming no one has any further info to add,well my rams are currently runing at 1.5V all i wanna know wether or not it will be ok to use the gskill ones with em considering the difference in voltage ....or does it realy not matter as long as i dun change the voltage from 1.5 and try to over clock em.....thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.