Motherboard and Memory Upgrade - Thoughts/Dangers?

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Hi all

I was planning an upgrade to my current system and wanted to check whether there will be any issues with incompatibility, bottlenecking and whether I will see a worthwhile improvement...

I am currently running a Q6600 on a Asus P5KPL-AM iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX motherboard with two 2GB sticks of DDR2-800 RAM and an ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card.

I mainly use it for gaming and while it's not a top end machine by any stretch it seems to do well enough on most modern games.

I was looking at upgrading the MoBo to a Asus P5G41T-M LX Intel G41 Express/ICH7 Motherboard Micro ATX DDR3 LGA775 Socket motherboard with G Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333mhz Ripjaws Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V.

This particular motherboard will handle 1333 RAM if OCed but will the CPU allow this safely on this motherboard?

I'm aware that the difference between DDR2 & 3 isn't huge but doubling the RAM and going for some that has a higher clock speed should result in some performance improvement?

If I wanted to play it safe and allow the Motherboard to run the RAM at 1066 will this cause performance issues or can I still expect to see an improvement over the current system?

The cost of the upgrade is sitting at £70 and I can't really go above this, is there anything else I am overlooking for a similar price?

I've spent a few hours trying to research my questions but can't seem to reach some clarity so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Well, running faster RAM won't really show a difference. 8gb may show a difference in SOME cases, but not often. What OS? The real things you need to look at now are CPU and GPU. 8gb RAM is nice too, but you don't need it. Just stick with your system now and save for new upgrades like a LGA 1155 board and a IB or SB CPU with some new RAM.

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Is there anywhere that does cheap bundles, I assume starting on the bottom rung of the 1155 ladder will still be better than where I am. I may be able to justify it if I can sell my current MB, RAM and CPU...

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Looks as though I would need to start on an i3 to beat where I'm at. Bundles at that level including mobo, RAM and CPU seem to start at £230's which will be beyond reach for a while...

Sokoprok

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Anyone else, really. It would be great to see if someone can comment that did a similar upgrade.

In the meantime, you suggested an upgrade to newer tech and I've managed to find this deal - http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Intel-Core-i3-Bundle-Asus-P8H61-M-LE-Intel-Core-i3-2100-4GB-DDR3-1333Mhz-125p1102.htm (sorry, couldn't get a neat link to work).

I can sell my current RAM, CPU and MB on Ebay for about £120 after costs so the upgrade would cost about £50.

Do you know of anywhere else that might do a better deal?