Sign in with
Your question

Connecting case fans to mobo (HAF 922 + Sabertooth P67)

Last response: in Components
April 25, 2011 5:50:41 PM

Hi all,

Just getting ready to assemble my new rig, and I have a few questions about connecting case fans:

1) Should I connect them to the motherboard?
2) If so, into which ports?

Here are the details:

• My case is a CoolerMaster HAF 922, and my motherboard is an ASUS Sabertooth P67
  • The case comes a 200mm intake in the front, a 200mm exhaust on top, and a 120mm exhaust in the back
  • I'll be adding another 200mm on the side, blowing directly onto the mobo, making a total of 3 x 200mm and 1 x 120mm
  • The motherboard has the following fan connections (aside from the CPU fan): 4-pin CHA_FAN1, 3-pin CHA_FAN2, 3-pin PWR_FAN, and 3-pin ASST_FAN
  • This computer will be in the living room, so I'd prefer that they not run at 100% all the time. Noise isn't too big a deal, but I'd like to keep it down if possible
  • As far as usage, I will be gaming with this machine (EVGA GTX 570), so having the extra airflow during that time would be good
  • I'd rather not deal with a separate fan controller

Any suggestions for this first-time builder?
    a b ) Power supply
    a c 295 V Motherboard
    April 25, 2011 6:44:59 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If the fan comes with a 4-pin connector, use the 4-pin CHA_FAN1 but if comes with 3-pin connector, then use the 3-pin CHA-FAN2
    m
    l
    a b ) Power supply
    a c 107 V Motherboard
    April 25, 2011 7:12:11 PM

I would suggest connecting them to the power supply first. Those 200mm fans are designed to spin slowly so they don't make much noise. If they do turn out to be too noisy at full speed, then connect them to the mainboard headers.

I'd be more worried about the hair dryer blower that comes with the GTX 570 than the case fans.
    m
    l
    !