Closed Solved

8800GT as PhyX with GTX580 as main

Hey,

I ordered a new PC which is gonna have a GTX580 once everything arrives. My current PC has a 8800GT. Should I use the 8800GT as a dedicated PhysX card? Or will that somehow deliver lower FPS's (I read somewhere that if you do that with a low-end card that it will have trouble because the 8800GT can only work so fast, causing the higher-end card to slow down to allow the 8800GT to keepup)

Is this true? If not, should I add the 8800GT to the PC?

I don't think It'll be in "SLI" just as a dedicated card under the PhysX Menu of the NCP

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8800gt phyx gtx580 main
  1. Well, you can try that later when your PC arrives. :)
    Seriously, a single GTX580 is more than enough to maxed out almost anything even without PhysX card. Try that and see it for yourself whether your fps is increase or decrease...
  2. The 8800gt should be a good PhysX card, that GTX580 should be really fast even without the dedicated PhysX.
    It won't slow it down.
  3. Best answer
    8800GT is power enough for a PhysX card(Even many people still use it as their primary gaming card :) ),and will help in the few games that benefit from PhysX.
  4. Maziar said:
    8800GT is power enough for a PhysX card(Even many people still use it as their primary gaming card :) ),and will help in the few games that benefit from PhysX.

Yeah, that's my primary card right now lol. I love this thing.. It's just that my entire PC is getting old, not just my GPU. =(

Alright guys, thanks. I'll see how it preforms with and without it.
  5. Yep,that's the best choice.Get a new card and keep the 8800GT as a PhysX card, if you didn't like it,you can sell it then :)
  6. Best answer selected by Blazer9131.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Physx Graphics