Pretty sure my Graphics card is fried but I need a second opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
when I play games, every 2 minutes it lags really badly, no matter what the game or how good or bad the graphics are. It's definitely not a software problem because I've reinstalled windows a bunch of times (I've also tried 3 different hard drives), I'm gonna buy a new graphics card but I want to be sure it's my graphics card that's the problem.

I have an MSI 9500 GT (it's about a year old).

I also have an AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core processor and 4 gigs of ram (both a year old).

My Motherboard is still pretty new

I'm using Windows XP

Could this be a processor problem or a motherboard problem? I don't want to buy a new graphics card and it turns out it's not the problem.

Solution
Glad to hear that.
It's definitely your cooler, when CPU is too HOT it will throttled down, that's why your performance is worse (lags and stuttering). Happy gaming.

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

It says GPU Temperature: 46'C

It's too hot? I don't have a fan of any sort in my computer so maybe it is? I have thermal paste in my house but I wouldn't know where to apply it on a graphics card.

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah it has a fan. but my computer doesn't have any cooling system.

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Yeah it's the same lag pattern in all the games I play. The same way it lagged in this game is the same way it lagged on MW2 and Medal Of Honor. Lag-normal-lag-normal-lag-normal-lag and so on. it's like that through of the whole game (on everygame I play on any setting).

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

300 Watt Power Supply
3 GB kingston RAM
MSI 9500 GT 512mb
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 Mobo
AMd Athlon 2X Dual Core 5200+

Btw this graphics card never used to do this it used to play games just fine (MW2 TF2 Crysis). But now it does this on all games.

can you upload your GPU-Z like this one:
gpuz0.jpg

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

What's your OS? The first thing I thought of when you stated your problem was slow swap-file access and virtual memory being overly used, then you said 3GB...is this a 64-bit OS?

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Maybe you could run task manager (resource monitor if Vista/7) and GPUZ on the sensor tab (check refresh while in background) in the background while playing your games.

Then alt-tab out or use the windows key when you're experiencing the lag and see what your PC is doing.

It might be heavy HDD use by another program, or maxed out CPU....

I'm not sure if Nvidia ever had the issue, but I've noticed if I leave another application like UltraVNC running, my GPU clocks will stay at "desktop" speed. I have 2 monitors so I keep GPUZ up on the 2nd....

mike12nite

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009

Whenever the lag comes it goes up to 100% CPU usage. Then when the lag goes away it goes to about 87-97% PSU usage. And when I go to the main menu of the game (COD MW2) the PSU usage goes to around 50 percent.

So when the lag comes in it's at 100% PSU usage. So what does this mean exactly?

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
Try killing all unnecessary applications (via task manager if you have to) and run the game again. If you have the process tab opened you might be able to catch which process is using up your extra CPU and causing your lag.

Have you checked for a virus/spyware lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.