Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pretty sure my Graphics card is fried but I need a second opinion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2010 3:30:47 AM

when I play games, every 2 minutes it lags really badly, no matter what the game or how good or bad the graphics are. It's definitely not a software problem because I've reinstalled windows a bunch of times (I've also tried 3 different hard drives), I'm gonna buy a new graphics card but I want to be sure it's my graphics card that's the problem.

I have an MSI 9500 GT (it's about a year old).

I also have an AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core processor and 4 gigs of ram (both a year old).

My Motherboard is still pretty new

I'm using Windows XP

Could this be a processor problem or a motherboard problem? I don't want to buy a new graphics card and it turns out it's not the problem.
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 3:58:07 AM

The 1st thing you want to do is check your card temps, it could be an overheating...
IF it's an overheating then you can try to clean your card and re-apply the thermal paste, that should help a lot...
Score
November 29, 2010 4:10:49 AM

Okay! Thanks for the help btw! So how do I check my card temp and what would be good/bad temp?
Score
Related resources
November 29, 2010 4:28:39 AM

Well it says 46'C, I don't know if that's bad. Should I apply thermal paste? I don't have a fan in my computer btw so it might be the temp
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 4:35:44 AM

I do not think you should be at 46C idle.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 4:37:18 AM

46'C on idle right?
So, try do some gaming, after 5 or 10 minutes check again your temps...
About your card, is it passive cooler card (no fan)?
Score
November 29, 2010 4:38:14 AM

HostileDonut said:
I do not think you should be at 46C idle.

It says GPU Temperature: 46'C

It's too hot? I don't have a fan of any sort in my computer so maybe it is? I have thermal paste in my house but I wouldn't know where to apply it on a graphics card.
Score
November 29, 2010 4:39:13 AM

wa1 said:
46'C on idle right?
So, try do some gaming, after 5 or 10 minutes check again your temps...
About your card, is it passive cooler card (no fan)?

Yeah it has a fan. but my computer doesn't have any cooling system.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 4:42:10 AM

Try some games first, after that post again here your result...
Score
November 29, 2010 4:43:42 AM

Okay
Score
November 29, 2010 5:01:29 AM

wa1 said:
Try some games first, after that post again here your result...

So far it's gone to 51'C while I was playing COD Black Ops
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 5:11:39 AM

And the lags are there?
Have you tried the other games? Because CoD BO is not good game to test, lags are everywhere even with high end gaming PC...
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 5:12:51 AM

And tell us your FULL specs in detail...
CPU-Mobo-RAM-PSU-Monitor? Detail please...
Score
November 29, 2010 5:15:14 AM

wa1 said:
And the lags are there?
Have you tried the other games? Because CoD BO is not good game to test, lags are everywhere even with high end gaming PC...

Yeah it's the same lag pattern in all the games I play. The same way it lagged in this game is the same way it lagged on MW2 and Medal Of Honor. Lag-normal-lag-normal-lag-normal-lag and so on. it's like that through of the whole game (on everygame I play on any setting).
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 5:17:25 AM

Okay, 9500GT is not a gaming card, if you want to gaming then get at least 9600GT/GT240 or HD5670.
What about the rest of your system? We should know that before suggesting...
Score
November 29, 2010 5:19:44 AM

wa1 said:
And tell us your FULL specs in detail...
CPU-Mobo-RAM-PSU-Monitor? Detail please...

300 Watt Power Supply
3 GB kingston RAM
MSI 9500 GT 512mb
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 Mobo
AMd Athlon 2X Dual Core 5200+

Btw this graphics card never used to do this it used to play games just fine (MW2 TF2 Crysis). But now it does this on all games.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 5:34:25 AM

can you upload your GPU-Z like this one:
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 7:51:22 AM

Okay, i can't find anything wrong with your card based on gpu-z.
Already tried re-install the driver? update it with the latest driver?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 8:02:26 AM

mike12nite said:
300 Watt Power Supply
3 GB kingston RAM
MSI 9500 GT 512mb
ASUS M2N68-AM SE2 Mobo
AMd Athlon 2X Dual Core 5200+

Btw this graphics card never used to do this it used to play games just fine (MW2 TF2 Crysis). But now it does this on all games.

What's your OS? The first thing I thought of when you stated your problem was slow swap-file access and virtual memory being overly used, then you said 3GB...is this a 64-bit OS?
Score
November 29, 2010 8:29:16 AM

Have you consider power supply problem. May be it start weakning.
Score
November 29, 2010 3:44:16 PM

Maybe you could run task manager (resource monitor if Vista/7) and GPUZ on the sensor tab (check refresh while in background) in the background while playing your games.

Then alt-tab out or use the windows key when you're experiencing the lag and see what your PC is doing.

It might be heavy HDD use by another program, or maxed out CPU....

I'm not sure if Nvidia ever had the issue, but I've noticed if I leave another application like UltraVNC running, my GPU clocks will stay at "desktop" speed. I have 2 monitors so I keep GPUZ up on the 2nd....
Score
November 29, 2010 10:04:24 PM

firebird said:
Maybe you could run task manager (resource monitor if Vista/7) and GPUZ on the sensor tab (check refresh while in background) in the background while playing your games.

Then alt-tab out or use the windows key when you're experiencing the lag and see what your PC is doing.

It might be heavy HDD use by another program, or maxed out CPU....

I'm not sure if Nvidia ever had the issue, but I've noticed if I leave another application like UltraVNC running, my GPU clocks will stay at "desktop" speed. I have 2 monitors so I keep GPUZ up on the 2nd....

Whenever the lag comes it goes up to 100% CPU usage. Then when the lag goes away it goes to about 87-97% PSU usage. And when I go to the main menu of the game (COD MW2) the PSU usage goes to around 50 percent.

So when the lag comes in it's at 100% PSU usage. So what does this mean exactly?
Score
November 29, 2010 10:09:38 PM

Try killing all unnecessary applications (via task manager if you have to) and run the game again. If you have the process tab opened you might be able to catch which process is using up your extra CPU and causing your lag.

Have you checked for a virus/spyware lately?
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 10:09:40 PM

mike12nite said:
Whenever the lag comes it goes up to 100% CPU usage. Then when the lag goes away it goes to about 87-97% PSU usage. And when I go to the main menu of the game (COD MW2) the PSU usage goes to around 50 percent.

So when the lag comes in it's at 100% PSU usage. So what does this mean exactly?

I would say upgrade your PSU. Your PSU is using everything its got.
Score
November 29, 2010 10:14:36 PM

firebird said:
Try killing all unnecessary applications (via task manager if you have to) and run the game again. If you have the process tab opened you might be able to catch which process is using up your extra CPU and causing your lag.

Have you checked for a virus/spyware lately?

I've installed windows over and cleared it of everything on this computer multiple times so I don't think Spyware or Viruses are the problem (though I can't be sure). This happens when I just installed a fresh copy of windows and cleared the computer. But yeah every time the lag starts my PSU usage jumps up (the lag only happens in-game, I never have lag out of games).

Also when I close the game my PSU usage goes to the single digits like 1-6%
Score
November 29, 2010 10:46:20 PM

I think we've clear up few things here.
Your Graphic Card seems to be okay, not fried.
I think the problem lay between your processor, power supply unit, one of them might be damaged / malfunction.
but i tend to pick the power supply unit as the guilty one.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 29, 2010 10:50:27 PM

Upgrade you PSU. If it isn't that then it will help you later in life. If its you CPU then still upgrade, your CPU is getting outdated. :D 
Score
November 29, 2010 11:01:12 PM

What is your GPU usage like during games? During lag?

Every time you say "PSU" usage, I'm assuming you mean CPU...???

What is the PSU? What resolution are you gaming at?

You've also mentioned that your PC has no cooling. Do you have any idea on the CPU temps while gaming?
Score
November 29, 2010 11:22:51 PM

firebird said:

You've also mentioned that your PC has no cooling. Do you have any idea on the CPU temps while gaming?

My bad I did mean CPU. I have a 300 Watt PSU (This one exactly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) It's a year old now ( built this computer more than a year ago though the Mobo is still pretty new)

I actually never turn off my computer so if the PSU was damaged it would make sense.

I play at 800 by 600 resolution though my monitor is 1024 by 768. I'm not sure what my CPU Temps are while gaming I'll check though.

Thanks a lot for putting up with me guys btw
Score
November 30, 2010 12:03:34 AM

firebird said:

Alright so here's the temperatures etc while gaming (I took this screencap while the game was lagging so you can get more information):

http://img831.imageshack.us/i/tempgaming.png/
Score
November 30, 2010 1:00:53 AM

A quick check on your CPU shows 1.3-1.35v for the CPU. You have 1.44v according to Speedfan. Either it's wrong or you are overclocking....

Also, what is the 78 degree temp for? Unless it's the GPU you've got issues...

I know speedfan is not the most reliable for voltages, but your P.S. ratings are high on the +5v rail. Never seen that before... but since it's not used for much it might not be an issue. You'd better check your BIOS to see what the *more accurate* readings are...

Also, maybe get a CPUZ screenshot to verify some things...
Score
November 30, 2010 1:37:14 AM

firebird said:
A quick check on your CPU shows 1.3-1.35v for the CPU. You have 1.44v according to Speedfan. Either it's wrong or you are overclocking....

Also, what is the 78 degree temp for? Unless it's the GPU you've got issues...

I know speedfan is not the most reliable for voltages, but your P.S. ratings are high on the +5v rail. Never seen that before... but since it's not used for much it might not be an issue. You'd better check your BIOS to see what the *more accurate* readings are...

Also, maybe get a CPUZ screenshot to verify some things...

CPU-Z Stats while ingame:

http://img811.imageshack.us/i/cpuzstats.png/

CPU-Z Stats with no game on:

http://img220.imageshack.us/i/cpustats2.png/
Score
November 30, 2010 2:28:32 AM

So, CPUZ shows 1.5v and speedfan shows 1.44v. That seems way too high.

I'd do some research on what the proper voltage for that is (unless you're water cooling and over clocking) because that could be a cause for issue.

Maybe someone who knows that CPU can chime in...
Score
November 30, 2010 3:20:10 AM

I've been reading that Speedfan gives inacurate results so I guess ignore that one. But I'll look into my BIOS
Score
November 30, 2010 3:32:06 AM

firebird said:
So, CPUZ shows 1.5v and speedfan shows 1.44v. That seems way too high.

I'd do some research on what the proper voltage for that is (unless you're water cooling and over clocking) because that could be a cause for issue.

Maybe someone who knows that CPU can chime in...

Well here's the information I got stright from the BIOS..

CPU Temp: 61'C

MB Temp: 41'C

VCore Voltage: 1.440V

3.3v Voltage: 3.136V

5V Voltage: 4.966V

12V Voltage 11.916V

I think this might mean I need a new PSU based on what I've been reading.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 6:12:18 AM

Your CPU temp is high, are you sure it's not OCed?
And yes, your VCore is a little bit high, reset CMOS battery to restore original setting, see if that make any changes...
Score
November 30, 2010 10:22:27 AM

My guess is that your CPU is overheating during gaming and causing it to slow down slightly which causes your stuttering.

Make sure all BIOS settings are default, or auto, and try it again. If the voltage is still that high, manually set it to 1.3 and test it out.
Score
November 30, 2010 10:55:43 AM

under all the CPU information there was something called the Q-Smart fan that says it adjust the fan speed based on the temperature of the CPU and motherboard and it was off so I turned it on. I'm gonna try and lower the vaultages. Do I need like overclocking software to do this? I set everyting to default and theyre at the same settings.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
November 30, 2010 11:00:17 AM

Check your cpu cooler, make sure it attached properly and thermal paste is not dried...
Score
November 30, 2010 11:29:29 AM

Q-Fan will just slow the fan down if temps are low to keep it quiet. You should have it off for now.

You don't need anything special to change the voltage. Just find the cpu voltage in the BIOS and manually set it to 1.3v.
Score
November 30, 2010 11:35:09 PM

Thanks a TON you guys this was a great help. I was gonna buy a graphics card for no reason. I went out and bought a Hyper TX3 CPU cooler along with some thermal paste and it's all better! My CPU fan wasn't keeping my CPU cool enough and now COD Block Ops and any other game I've played, work just fine! The CPU was 61*C and it is now 43*C with the new CPU cooler.

Thanks lots! Especially Wa1 and firebird!
Score

Best solution

a c 189 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2010 12:57:25 AM

Glad to hear that.
It's definitely your cooler, when CPU is too HOT it will throttled down, that's why your performance is worse (lags and stuttering). Happy gaming.
December 8, 2010 12:14:33 AM

Best answer selected by mike12nite.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a c 136 V Motherboard
December 8, 2010 6:29:24 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!