Your question

Verizon DSL not working through hub

Tags:
  • DSL
  • Verizon
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
June 28, 2010 6:28:42 PM

My cousin has an antique network setup using a hub with verizon DSL. The DSL works fine when it is directly connected to a computer, but not when it is through a hub. She just switched to verizon from her old DSL, which she said worked fine through the hub. Two questions:

1) Does a hub have a specific "input" port that the DSL should connect to? She claims that none of the ports are specifically marked any differently than the others. Can I just plug it in anywhere?

2) I've read about going into the router config and setting it to bridge mode... is this necessary with a hub? Her last DSL was basically plug-n-play... seems pretty advanced for such a simple set up.

More about : verizon dsl working hub

June 28, 2010 7:56:00 PM

If she is truly using a hub then I would say her old DSL used a router/modem combo that handled NAT and DHCP. The new verizon modem probably only hands out one IP.
How many computers is she trying to connect? If just one why use the hub at all, just connect it directly to the modem.
m
l
June 28, 2010 8:04:36 PM

sturm said:
If she is truly using a hub then I would say her old DSL used a router/modem combo that handled NAT and DHCP. The new verizon modem probably only hands out one IP.
How many computers is she trying to connect? If just one why use the hub at all, just connect it directly to the modem.

4 computers and 2 printers. The modem is a Westell 6100g, and yes, I'm almost positive it is a hub.
m
l
June 29, 2010 11:34:37 AM

You need to get a SOHO (small office/home office) router. The kind you can get at Best Buy or other electronic stores. This will handle DHCP as it seems the DSL modem doesn't handle this.
m
l
Related resources
!