Verizon DSL not working through hub

billtimbob

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
My cousin has an antique network setup using a hub with verizon DSL. The DSL works fine when it is directly connected to a computer, but not when it is through a hub. She just switched to verizon from her old DSL, which she said worked fine through the hub. Two questions:

1) Does a hub have a specific "input" port that the DSL should connect to? She claims that none of the ports are specifically marked any differently than the others. Can I just plug it in anywhere?

2) I've read about going into the router config and setting it to bridge mode... is this necessary with a hub? Her last DSL was basically plug-n-play... seems pretty advanced for such a simple set up.

sturm

Splendid
If she is truly using a hub then I would say her old DSL used a router/modem combo that handled NAT and DHCP. The new verizon modem probably only hands out one IP.
How many computers is she trying to connect? If just one why use the hub at all, just connect it directly to the modem.

billtimbob

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

4 computers and 2 printers. The modem is a Westell 6100g, and yes, I'm almost positive it is a hub.