Sign in with
Your question

Possibly My New Computer

Last response: in CPUs
April 25, 2011 9:24:02 PM

Hey guys! I use Tom's Hardware quite a bit but never got around to signing up.

I'm on a bit of a tight budget but here's what I've found that might make for a decent gaming PC.

Motherboard

Processor

Power Supply

GPU

RAM

I don't know too much about AMD (or that much about building computers), but this looks like a fairly decent selection.

Your thoughts?

Didn't know what section I should post this in. :/ 

More about : possibly computer

April 25, 2011 9:35:09 PM

Looks fine though it would help to know what sort of games and at what detail setting you would like to play them at. For example If your wanting to play crysis or metro 2033 at say 780p with med details your good. Now if your looking for 1080p with high details I would recommended getting a better GPU and possibly more ram.
a c 100 à CPUs
April 25, 2011 9:47:10 PM

All good choices & you don't need more than 4Gb RAM for gaming. You do at this point get alot more from a 6850 for not alot more money (above that performance costs alot more) but the 5770 will let you play all games at good settings even at 1920 x 1080
Related resources
April 25, 2011 9:57:11 PM

thats a really good budget gaming rig. that video card will run most games at really smooth at high settings in resolutions below 1080p. but will still run games with good detail at 1080p anyway.
April 25, 2011 10:13:10 PM

simon12 said:
All good choices & you don't need more than 4Gb RAM for gaming. You do at this point get alot more from a 6850 for not alot more money (above that performance costs alot more) but the 5770 will let you play all games at good settings even at 1920 x 1080

I disagree, it depends on the game and at what setting you wish to play. Metro 2033 has a recommended RAM of 8GB so by no means can anybody say you "dont need more than 4GB of RAM for games". But again if you want to play at less than 1080p or older games your fine with this setup. So if you want the most accurate opinion its best to list the games you want to play and at what resolution and setting you wish to play them. Also if you were to give a exact price for your budget we could help you make some adjustments to fit within that budget :) .
April 25, 2011 10:24:13 PM

cburke82 said:
I disagree, it depends on the game and at what setting you wish to play. Metro 2033 has a recommended RAM of 8GB so by no means can anybody say you "dont need more than 4GB of RAM for games". But again if you want to play at less than 1080p or older games your fine with this setup. So if you want the most accurate opinion its best to list the games you want to play and at what resolution and setting you wish to play them. Also if you were to give a exact price for your budget we could help you make some adjustments to fit within that budget :) .

I won't be playing at 1080p. The maximum resolution my monitor supports is 1600x900.

The grand total for the above items is going to be about $430. I don't want to spend anymore than that.

The current settings I'm using in most games right now are very low (Nvidia 9400GT :??: ), so anything above that is an improvement to me.

Some games I like to play include the Call of Duty series, Portal 2, World in Conflict and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate it.
April 25, 2011 10:27:48 PM

its gonna be a night and day difference from the 9400 gt to the 5770. :D 
April 25, 2011 11:57:43 PM

Yeah based on those games thats a great upgrade for you at that resolution enjoy :)  and for the future you can get a much more powerful card with that PSU :) 
April 26, 2011 4:17:02 AM

Looks like a great budget build and at that resolution you should be able to max out most games with it. Good job!
April 26, 2011 4:17:14 AM

Looks like a great budget build and at that resolution you should be able to max out most games with it. Good job!
April 26, 2011 3:33:09 PM

simon12 said:
My suggestion that no more than 4Gb RAM was needed for gaming was based on this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/memory-module-upgrade,rev... It is a bit old and only tested 4 games but it showed no improvement from 3Gb to 12Gb at any resolution in any game.

I think the problem with that test is they seem to use the benchmarking tools and thats fine for FPS. But when I play crysis the longer I play it uses more mem, also some levels use much more than the average. The end level shows as using up to 6 GB of mem with graphics all the way up on 1080p. So in the OP case he wont be that high and its fine of coarse. But it seem like newer games now and in the future wile maxed out will need a bit more on some levels probably not all .
!