5850, beeping mobo

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my pc piece by piece as the budget allows.

Today I took the plunge and got a Antec TruePower New 650W and a Asus EAH5850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5.

Mobo is a Asus p5VD2-VM with a E6320 Core 2 Duo processor.

The issue I'm having is when I boot up the PC, the motherboard gives one long beep then two short beeps – a GPU error code I believe.

I'm not sure if I've connected the power up properly – the TP650 has four 12V rails, with 25A each on rails three and four. Currently it has a 6 pin PCI-E connected via the 12V3 and a 6+2 PCI-E connected on the 12V4. So that is a total of 50A, which is sufficient as it says it needs 40A.

I have reseated the GPU and still doesn't work. I don't know if I have a dead card, or is it not supported by my mobo, or if it's a power issue.
Any comments appreciated!
3 answers Last reply
More about 5850 beeping mobo
  1. When you connected the new PSU to the motherboard, did you connect both motherboard power connectors firmly (main 24 pin connector and the 4 or 8 pin connector), until they "clicked" into place?

Also, verify that your PCI-E connector(s) is/are firmly attached to to the GPU.

Check those and then we'll see where to go. Good luck!
  2. ^^Agreed-
  3. Ok problem solved.
    Turns out the problem was the cable connecting the psu to the wall socket/powerboard. I thought they were all the same but clearly the old one was different.
    Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more issues in the future :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics