Sign in with
Your question

5850, beeping mobo

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2010 10:23:21 AM

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade my pc piece by piece as the budget allows.

Today I took the plunge and got a Antec TruePower New 650W and a Asus EAH5850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5.

Mobo is a Asus p5VD2-VM with a E6320 Core 2 Duo processor.

The issue I'm having is when I boot up the PC, the motherboard gives one long beep then two short beeps – a GPU error code I believe.

I'm not sure if I've connected the power up properly – the TP650 has four 12V rails, with 25A each on rails three and four. Currently it has a 6 pin PCI-E connected via the 12V3 and a 6+2 PCI-E connected on the 12V4. So that is a total of 50A, which is sufficient as it says it needs 40A.

I have reseated the GPU and still doesn't work. I don't know if I have a dead card, or is it not supported by my mobo, or if it's a power issue.
Any comments appreciated!

More about : 5850 beeping mobo

November 29, 2010 12:10:48 PM

When you connected the new PSU to the motherboard, did you connect both motherboard power connectors firmly (main 24 pin connector and the 4 or 8 pin connector), until they "clicked" into place?

Also, verify that your PCI-E connector(s) is/are firmly attached to to the GPU.

Check those and then we'll see where to go. Good luck!
m
l
November 29, 2010 12:16:28 PM

^^Agreed-
m
l
December 1, 2010 8:54:42 AM

Ok problem solved.
Turns out the problem was the cable connecting the psu to the wall socket/powerboard. I thought they were all the same but clearly the old one was different.
Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll have more issues in the future :) 
m
l
!