2600k I7 temperature?

thepope_27

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi all,

I just put together a new machine and when i first booted it up the bios told me that the cpu was at 60C i thought this was high so i cleaned off the thermal compound and replaced it with AS5 i used 99% isopropyl alcohol and coffe filters to clean. my cpu is still sitting at or just under 60c this is on an Asus sabertooth P67 board. Is this hot? and since I cant get the thing to work and have tested everything except the MoBo and cpu could this temperature be an idication of which is wrong? I am using the stock cooler but have not adjusted any oc settings yet. the fan and heatsink is mounted correctly pluged in, and running, heatsink is not hot to the touch after running for 2 hours.

mrclownface

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009

is that an idle temp? have you got good airflow through the case,i have a core I5 2500K and it idles at 32c with the standard intel cooler(not overclocked)your temps do seem high,maye the readings are wrong,but they should be accurate in your bios

*sigh*

Somebody needs to get the word out to the masses on the internet. I answer this question at least once a day.

High temps in the BIOS are normal. The CPU cannot go into low-power idle mode until the system is fully booted into Windows. With the stock cooler, 60-70ºC is common in the BIOS. Even when using a good after-market cooler, the temps in the BIOS will be higher than in Windows.

thepope:
Do not overclock at all until you have purchased and installed a good after-market cooler. The stock cooler from Intel sucks and cannot control temps with even a minor over-volt applied. Even if you keep the CPU voltage at 1.2v and simply increase the multiplier, the temps will quickly climb to dangerous levels.

Your "can't get this thing to work" situation has nothing to do with this, and should have its own thread. Make sure you give a lot of hardware details in that thread so we can help you.

majin ssj eric

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Mine ran 50-55C on the stock cooler in the BIOS before I switched to the Hyper 212+. Now it runs 43-45C in the BIOS but idle temps in Windows are about 30C. Like Shadows said, BIOS temps are higher because the CPU is under load in the BIOS. 60C does seem a bit high to me, but probably just the high side of normal. What other problems are you having?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Actually the mass of this crap came from Intel.I once had 99c on my cpu because i didnt really insert the screw hard enough.I thought, what the??Then i knew how it feels like to actually try and screw the useless 1156/1155 hsf.

thepope_27

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
I do have other threads going for the "other problems"
asus support usa forums is under Motherboards>sabertooth P67> Cannot install 64 bit windows 7 home premium

and toms hardware is under Forum Windows 7 : General Discussion - Can't get Windows 7 64 bit to begin installation

thanks all for your help

this is with a coolermaster haf x case which i have both side panels off of right now. it has one top fan one rear fan and one front fan all large and running great also the cpu fan running and the two fans on my asus engtx580 running. the MoBo temp reads at about 30

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
As Leaps-from-Shadows said, in the BIOS there is no thermal management so it is normal. My i7-2600k + Asus P8P67 Pro with stock cooler runs about 58C in the BIOS but in Windows runs 16C at idle (1.6GHz) or up to 38C (3.8GHz) while running Dead Space 2.

G

Hi Sorry for the thread revival guys,

I have the ASUS P8P67 + I7 2600K with stock cooler installed

i have the turbo enabled and the system is overclocked to 4.3ghz

in windows on idle (at 1.6ghz) the temps are at 29 - 30 degrees, when i play any game (that actually taxes the system) it bumps up to around 58 - 60 degrees, i just wanna know is this normal, and \ or is this fine to run at that temp?

any help would be great guys, thanks

G

great news, thanks mate for the prompt response, I somewhat knew that it was a safe temp but just was clarification on the matter.

These CPU's, even with the stock cooler, are just a fantastic bit of kit