Small school needs network is the router with connected switch the way to go?

cc16

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Hello,
HI our small school would like to setup a small network. We will mainly use it for internet connectivity, and access to the printer in the office. In all it will be about 8 computers. We are looking for a wired solution as there is some concern about EMF's around wireless. Since there are not many 8 port routers out there I read a solution posted here in 2006 about using a switch and connecting it to a router and perhaps even a wireless one with the wireless turned off (a possible plan b if the wireless concern changes). Is this still the best option? Any advice would be welcomed. We have little or no budget so we'd like to get it right the first time.

Solution
get a 5 or 8 port switch and connect it to a normal lan conneciton of the router. Thats it.
You shouldn't need a corporate grade switch with only 8 computers. Any SOHO (small office/home office) router and switch will work.

sturm

Splendid
get a 5 or 8 port switch and connect it to a normal lan conneciton of the router. Thats it.
You shouldn't need a corporate grade switch with only 8 computers. Any SOHO (small office/home office) router and switch will work.

Solution

cc16

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Thanks Sturm for confirming this for me!!
cc16

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also, may want to make sure you have some kind of firewall for some basic network defense. I know at the school I worked at, it was very nice because I think we actually used sonicwall, probably overkill for you at this point, but made it so we could filter some nasty websites out.

mssecurity

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Being a school, security should be as important as network access. Typically your ISP that provides your internet service will include a modem/router. If not, using a Linksys (Cisco) is a good starting point.

Many would suggest setting up another router behind that one. Let the ISP router act as internet access, and you set up your own or additional Router that can act as security, firewall, and filtering. Behind that you can add an 8 port 1 GB Linksys switch (less than $100) to connect all your PC's. The switch plugs into a lan port on the internal router, and the internal router WAN port plugs into a lan port on the one supplied by your internet provider, or purchased by you if internet provider did not supply one.

You now have 3 layer system.

Internet Modem/Router
Internal Router/Firewall
Switch supporting your individual PC's.

You can set use the internal router to set up internet filters, and control Internet view of your internal network. Many get by with just the primary modem/router and switch to expand internally, but you will have much more protection if you add the additional layer.

michael