I have 4 gigs of RAM and only 2 are showing up

kalfis

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I got my new motherboard. Everything Is fine but the RAM. I have 4 gigs Installed, but only 2 are showing up. I have installed the latest drivers and BIOS and still It shows 2 gigs Instead of 4. The RAM Isn't faulty I already checked. Their In the slots fully, so that's not the Issue either. This motherboard supports my RAM I already checked that also. I have 32 bit windows 7 and I know it only supports like 3-31/2 gigs of RAM. But my old motherboard took that extra gig from my 4 gigs of RAM and gave me 3.2 gigs or something. My new motherboard Is not taking the extra gig, It's only taking 2 gigs. My new motherboard supports my RAM, so that's not the problem either.

What's causing this?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
edit: 2gb is max on 7 value only... here's the real scoop

"The 4GB limit refers to total addressable memory space and not just the RAM installed. It’s a total made up of system RAM, graphics RAM, PCI memory range, ACPI and a few other bits and pieces. And if you think that your system RAM is the only significant factor, think again. You can buy graphics cards fitted with 1GB of RAM, and if you wanted (and had the spare cash!) you could fit three of these into a system. There’s not a 1 to 1 relationship between graphics memeory consuming system RAM, but the larger the memory, the more the card sets aside for itself. Now that 4GB limit doesn’t leave you a lot of space for system RAM."

source

kalfis

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

No, the same exact hardware expect the CPU(I upgraded my a 1156 to a 1155) from my old motherboard Is In my new motherboard. Same exact brand of motherboard too.

kalfis

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011

The memory sticks are dual channel. 2 gigs each stick.