New Build - Raid-0 help needed

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Greetings all!

Once again I am need of some awesome Tom's user base help. Thanks in advance, your help is always much appreciated.
I will be updating my gaming rig in mid Feb with the following parts:

Motherboard; ASUS Maximus IV Extreme, Socket-1155
CPU: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K

In addition to these 2 major changes I will also be doing my first ever RAID-0 with 2x SSD's.
Currently I am using a single Intel X-25M 80gb SSD Gen2 as my boot/program/game drive.

So here is my question:
Should I buy one more X-25M and setup a RAID-0 with these two bad boys?
Or should I rather get a new set of SSD's with better speeds and sell/trade my current Intel SSD,
since it kind of seems slow compared to the newer SSD's as well as TRIM not working in RAID-0 making the X-25 kind of pointless?

And my last question is about RAID-0 itself:
Should I also buy a "RAID" card or is the motherboard enough to run a RAID-0 config with only 2x SSD's?
Like I said I have no experience with RAID-0 so any help/comments would go a long way.

Cheers

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Prevailing wisdom says to not raid any kind of SSD. The loss of TRIM will degrade your array over time to the point its slower than one drive.

I've been hearing whispers that the new SSD's are around the corner time wise, I'd wait.

An addin card would be a big boost to performance, IF you get a card that is REAL hardware raid, and its $$$. Cheaper raid cards are no better than what's on your motherboard.

If the SSD isn't big enough, or fast enough for you, well. Its still better than platters!

drowki

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I would do this,

1x Solid State Sata 6.0gb/s
2xRAID 0 - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD6000HLHX 600GB 10000 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal
1x2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s

Done.

TheFirm34

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
I'm guessing using the SSD as boot disk and the 2xVeloci for things like games?
I really havent considered using 10k rmp hd's now with all of the SSD's on the market.

drowki

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Like the other person has mentioned, no sense of raiding SSD due to the lack of Trim Support you will receive. (this is a night and day difference)

On my current system before Trim Support was available, I would watch my drive drop in quality or well degrade in performance.. Once enabled, I set up a scheduled task at 6:30 am it would restart my computer. I wake up at 7am, and by then my computer would already do the garbarge collection. *Need to be out for at least 20 mins on this SSD*

The reason I go for the moveable disk, is well i get more space. Try buying a 250 top of the line SSD drive, look at that price. VS 2x 10k rmp drives...