beidg

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hello,

I have a out of the box HP slimline. It is an AM3 board, but it has DDR2 in it. It also has a sempron, and I want to place a phenom II x4 in this board, any compatibility issues? I have placed a higher watt PSU in it (hard to find this shape)and added 430GT.
Thanks!

HP Pavilion Slimline s5603w

Looks like your hp case will take any standard micro atx motherboard, but using a non hp board may prevent your windows installation from loading. The upgrade list includes phenom I cpus; you may want to get a used one or check starmicro. Your board won't work with phenom II's. I wouldn't flash the bios either; It won't perform miracles and let you use phenom II's. If you still want to change motherboards, there are plenty of am2+am3 boards that will run with phenom II's up to 95 watts. For higher wattage, use an amd chipset. I use the biostar A880G+ micro atx board with ati 4250 onboard graphics, a common video chipset. It runs pretty smooth, and will work with phenom II's up to 125 watts, but this board uses ddr3, which is still cheap. I got 4 gb used for $30.

beidg

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Your both wrong...

I decided on a 95 watt Athlon2 x4 best bang for buck, dont really need a phenom, although there are phenom 2 x4s at 95 watts available.

HPs Board specs.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01701270&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=4269980

Now, when I bought this PC I was unaware that the board was AM2+ as it contained an AM3 CPU. I want to replace the processor first, so I can increase my frame rate, however I still intend on purchasing an am3 motherboard down the road, so that I can use ddr3. I really don't want to purchase a new OS though. In the past (windows xp) I remember calling a 1-800 number and talking to microsoft tech about switching a motherboard, they gave me a key and I could use a manufacturer restore disk with "aftermarket" board. Is this still the case with 7?? Also, has anyone used a different HS/fan combo with this slimline case? Im not sure about clearances.

beidg

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
It says the board only support AM2+ processors?

Lol it also says moRtherboard, god i love HP

Mine shipped with an Am3 in it, so this is obviously incorrect.

Am3s will run on an am2+ board, thats the cause for the +

originally the specs said that the board would support 125 watt processors, but apparently that is only on a single power plane (still don't know what that means exactly) So, I will stick with a 95 watt AM3

Im going to talk to HP Live as I am under warranty and check to see what they say. Maybe have them correct the spelling error and misleading note. I love how they state am2+ processors only then list am3 processors underneath, maybe they mean to say will not support Am2 processors. Well, at least I've learned alot about compatibility in the process, if I have a customer bring one of these things in, I can talk in geek for at least half an hour while they ignore me x-)

I'll update when I hear what HP has to say ( I like to pick on the techs, maybe I'll C+P the transcript.) I'll have to use the word blasphomy at least once. Don't hate me b/c I cant spell, it is better than MORTHERBOARD, apparently HP can't afford a system that allows spell check, is this slight irony?