Sign in with
Your question

Deciding on a new Wireless Gaming mouse

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2011 12:12:54 AM

I've found out recently just how picky I can be about a mouse and keyboard, and to be honest, it's kind of pathetic. Anyway, here are the things I like about a mouse, and if anyone knows of a match, please point me towards such a mouse.

1. First and foremost it must be wireless.. My bed is about 10 feet away from my monitor/hdtv on the wall and well... yea, I like to be able to use my computer from my bed from time to time. Less wires makes it easier to keep my desk area cleaner and easier to manage.

2. Dpi - I don't need anything crazy high, but I do game, and would prefer something that is adjustable for gaming and have a separate setting for off-gaming needs.

3. No floating pointers... I hate floating pointers; and jumping pointers. The current issue I have with mine is that it's a keyboard/mouse combo and when I get a certain distance from the keyboard (closer not out of range) the mouse jumps around and it annoys the heck out of me.

4. Accuracy - I guess this goes with #3 but when I move I want the mouse to move with me, and stop when I stop. I guess latency fills in here as well, I know its hard with wireless mice, but I will take as much as I can get here.

5. I dont need a gazillion buttons on my mouse. I like the wheel click, left and right click, and maybe two or three others for websurfing back and forward history jumps.

6. I like scroll clicking wheels with a durable wheel. The wheel on my mouse is a soft rubber and it's been worn down and is starting to come off of the wheel itself. Clicks help me zoom in and out with cameras and switch weapons on fps' so it's kind of a must for me.

7. Wrist support - Though I've never really put too much thought into this, if possible something easier on my wrist would be better. I do NOT have a claw grip by any means.

8. I like to have a little bit of weight on my mouse as well, and nice gliding feet.

I've done a bit of searching around and found the Mionix Naos 3200 and REALLY liked it, except for the fact that it is wired... If there is a very similar wireless mouse to this I'd hop all over it. The G500 is also a pleasant model, but again it is not wireless, and it's a bit too sparkly for me. Any suggestions are welcome, I'll try not to be too stubborn about the resolution, and thank-you in advance for your time :) .
April 26, 2011 12:35:34 AM

theres no such thing as a wireless gaming mouse. there are mice that are sold as such but any real gamer wouldn't touch em with a bargepole.
wireless devices introduce lag. it may only be a fraction of a second but that can often be the difference between kill or be killed.

not only that the price of the supposed superior 1s is ridiculous.
take the razor mamba for instance. its basically a Lachesis and to most people that try it prefer the Lachesis because it doesn't lag not to mention its less than half the price. no m8 wireless mice are a misnoma a myth if you will...

if you want a good mouse look for a wired 1 that offers x2 the rez of your main screen, polls at 1000mhz, is configurable on the fly and has the latest in lazer tech and most important for accuracy a small lift off distance.

with that in mind look at razer, logitech, rokat all are different enough to warrant a closer look. in the end it will come down to palm feel.

go to your local dealer and see if you can try them yourself.. theres nothing worse than spending 100 on a mouse and deciding you dont like the feel of it, or your wrist is aching after 20 mins.
m
l
April 26, 2011 1:01:46 AM

Thank-you for responding to the title of the thread, but it doesn't seem that you actually read my post at all. Just told me to go to a retail store and find a fit with an added implied insult towards me, one towards manufacturers, and a few tips of advice. I appreciate the concern about me wasting money, but I am just looking for a wireless version of G500 or Mionix Naos 3200. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2011 4:14:32 AM

I would agree with Hexit.What you want are considered way to specific.Your needs are of course yours alone.We really wont know if you say "nice gliding feet" or wrist lock mechanism or whatever.I think you should go and try them out yourself.
m
l
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2011 6:09:07 AM

The only wireless mouse I have used is my current Logitech Performance MX mouse. It is not a gaming mouse, but I do use it for playing games. BestBuy has this mouse in their store you so can go there and get a feel for it. It has a high arch that some people with smaller hands complain about but it feels good for me. The mouse can be used with or without the included software which allows you to customize a few of the buttons and switch between DPI. I do not use the software at all.

Going thru your list...

1. The mouse seems to be responsive up to about 8 feet. I'm guessing 10 feet will be fine, but that would put my monitors out of view.

2. You can change the DPI via the included software.

3. I got an occasional floating pointer / jumpy pointer maybe 2 or 3 times a month for a split second. However, after I accidentally knocked it off the desk and onto the wooden floor that issue stopped. Go figure.

4. Very little latency.

5. There are only 4 extra buttons.

6. The wheel can be set to "free rolling" or "clicky" by pressing the button below the wheel. The wheel also acts like a third mouse button and a mini "joystick" to scroll left-right.

7. Wrist support? My wrist lies flat on the table while using this mouse.

8. It has a nice weight with glide feet.

Here's a video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z5_OffjF6w&feature=rela...
m
l
April 26, 2011 6:17:50 AM

JoMo87 said:
Thank-you for responding to the title of the thread, but it doesn't seem that you actually read my post at all. Just told me to go to a retail store and find a fit with an added implied insult towards me, one towards manufacturers, and a few tips of advice. I appreciate the concern about me wasting money, but I am just looking for a wireless version of G500 or Mionix Naos 3200. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

what insult? if i wanted to insult you i would as im a geordie and it comes easy to me.... but hey take it as you see it , its of no concern to me. as for a wireless alternative to a g500 look on the logitech site they actually have a wireless g500 its called a g700.

m
l
April 26, 2011 7:00:18 AM

Divint be a divvie OP
Howay the Hexit!

In the lyrics of the song "Sailing to Philadelphia" by Mark Knopfler, Jeremiah Dixon describes himself as a "Geordie boy. Jeremiah Dixon, surveyor of the Mason-Dixon line".[48] In an earlier live album and video, Alchemy: Dire Straits Live, the band are seen in a pub - on the wall hangs a scoreboard for darts featuring "Geordies" vs. "All Others."

Dire Straits was such awesome band.....
m
l
April 26, 2011 7:00:51 AM

Buy the g700 OP
m
l
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2011 4:02:08 PM

The OP stated he didn't want a mouse with too many buttons which the G700 has. It shares a similar shape to the Performance MX, but not sure how high the mouse arches up.
m
l
April 26, 2011 8:32:11 PM

I will look into the G700 and the Performance MX, see if I can try them out at a retailer nearby, and decide from there on... Thank-you all for your time, and it has been... educational learning about geordies and divvys..
m
l
!