Sign in with
Your question

My HP Pavillion p6101f won't power up.

Last response: in Components
April 26, 2011 12:25:28 AM

The power supply light stays on, but fans only start momentarily when switch is pressed. I replaced power supply just to make sure it was good, have same issue. Where do I look next?

More about : pavillion p6101f power

April 26, 2011 3:29:27 AM

ststock23 said:
The power supply light stays on, but fans only start momentarily when switch is pressed. I replaced power supply just to make sure it was good, have same issue. Where do I look next?

There should be a little red switch on the back of the power supply, try clicking it up, or down, and see if it works :p 
Though, that's probably a 1 in 100 chance haha. So my only verdict is your motherboard, or CPU. But we need more info, like does the PSU you tried work in another PC? Have you tried any components from the pc in ANOTHER pc to help isolate the issue?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 4:10:54 AM

so are you saying your psu fan or all other fans also have this problem?
m
l
Related resources
April 26, 2011 1:22:13 PM

Both fans only turn on momentarily. I did try flipping the switch, no change. I haven't tried the PSU in another PC. It is brand new. I understand there is an outside chance it could be faulty. If the power light on the PSU is on, does that indicate it is functioning correctly?
m
l
April 26, 2011 3:52:26 PM

ststock23 said:
Both fans only turn on momentarily. I did try flipping the switch, no change. I haven't tried the PSU in another PC. It is brand new. I understand there is an outside chance it could be faulty. If the power light on the PSU is on, does that indicate it is functioning correctly?

Sometimes systems won't turn on if a fan is not hooked up to the motherboard. Are all the fan's hookedup to the motherboard? If it doesn't detect a fan it will power off for safety.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 4:16:14 PM

DON'T play with the voltage switch! you could fry your mobo and other components.
It's there for a reason depending on what part of the world you live in.
110v/115v or 220v/230v = 115v for N.A.
test your psu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
If this test doesn't work you need a new psu.
m
l
April 26, 2011 8:25:38 PM

All fans are connected and turn on for a second when powering up. I didn't flip the voltage switch with the power on. Just flicked it back and forth, as the HP support site suggests. I'm fairly familiar with power supply units as I use them to power halloween props. I jumped it and it came on. I'm guessing I'm looking at a motherboard?
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 8:29:27 PM

Start checking the fp power leads and case power switch.
You can jumper the power on and off with a screwdriver.
m
l
!