Sign in with
Your question

Tech Super Sleuth Needed

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 24, 2010 11:51:18 PM

Hello,

I can't figure this out. Running two HP laptops side by side on the same Wireless router, using Comcast cable 6MB plus service. One laptop is getting anywhere from 7.5 to 14+ MB speed according to Speedtest.net, the other won't go over .50 MB. Appears that it must be something specific to the one computer, right? But when I run them on my wireless network in my other house (also Comcast), they both get over 14 MB speed.

HP Support says it has to be Comcast, Comcast says it isn't ( and if it was, why does one computer work and the other doesn't)? The only other thing that came to mind is that the fast computer is running Vista, the slow one Windows 7, but I updated the driver for Windows 7, and I haven't been able to find any other articles talking about this problem.

Any super sleuths out there?
September 25, 2010 12:07:09 AM

How is it possible that either laptop is getting 7.5-14mbps w/ Comcast 6mbps service?! That already makes me suspicious.
m
l
September 25, 2010 12:37:52 AM

eibgrad said:
How is it possible that either laptop is getting 7.5-14mbps w/ Comcast 6mbps service?! That already makes me suspicious.

My understanding is that the 6 MB speed is a minimum, not a maximum.
m
l
Related resources
September 25, 2010 1:41:24 AM

Oh, I see.

I would try connecting each laptop directly to the modem and comparing. If they both get 14mbps, then you know it's the router. Even with the router, I would compare over wire too, not just wireless. You have to approach it like this so you can narrow down the culprit.
m
l
September 25, 2010 6:14:37 AM

[#0005ff]I wonder if this is as simple as one laptop's wireless chip being open to all channels while the other is set to only one. Were both Speedtest results taken from the same server? When I use Speedtest.net, I get better results from a server fifty miles away than I do from my more local one.[/#000ff]
m
l
September 25, 2010 4:47:08 PM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]I wonder if this is as simple as one laptop's wireless chip being open to all channels while the other is set to only one. Were both Speedtest results taken from the same server? When I use Speedtest.net, I get better results from a server fifty miles away than I do from my more local one.[/#000ff]

I suspected something like this, but HP Support told me I couldn't change my settings--said it couldn't be the WLAN card, it would either work or it wouldn't.
m
l
September 26, 2010 5:51:17 AM

ezbrad1234 said:
I suspected something like this, but HP Support told me I couldn't change my settings--said it couldn't be the WLAN card, it would either work or it wouldn't.

[#0005ff]What was the result of eibgrad's suggestion to cable them both and take the test? Were both the latest results taken form the same server?[/#000ff]
m
l
!