620 watts enough?

phatthefirst

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hi guys, i was wondering, with a 620 watt Antec Neo Eco, will I be able to power two Nvidia GTX 560's with the use molex to PCI connectors? Or will that be pushing the limit? Thanks.

PS: My Build

CPU: Core i5 2500
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560 OC ( thinking of getting 2, hence the thread)
Mobo: MSI p67a GD-55
HDD: Caviar black 500gb
RAM: G.skill 4gb 1600mhz

+ 7 case fans (1 with LED)

thanks again.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Not sufficient.
second card requires you to add another ~175 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking).
For each other card (3-way SLI) that you add, just add another 200 Watts and 20A on the 12V rails as a safety margin. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load? Here are some pointers:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14

phatthefirst

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
yeesh, the thing is, my budget isnt big. I can't afford a new PSU. so i guess it's still only one GPU then. I used this
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

just to get a rough idea. i know people say it is unreliable, so by rough, i mean very rough. 610 Watts, apparently.

Now it puts the estimate if all components are at 90% load, which they probably won't be at. so now im stuck. I'll just be waiting for more replies, i guess.

You can't add another gpu on your current power supply.
One GTX 560 requires 30A of power.
Your psu has only 48A total on the 12V rail.
A good 650W psu like the Antec TPN -650W would run 2x560 no problem.
You need a psu that has 60A or more on it's 12V rails.
There's plenty of people running 2xGTX 560's with high-end 650W psu's.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I second the link zulfadhli posted - if it wasn't there, I'd have posted it myself.

I've got more or less the same build as you (processor, GPU, RAM) and plan on SLIing in the future. I've got a 750W supply and, when I OC, I'm not sure if it'll be enough. 650W may do it, but it's probably worthwhile in sinking an extra few quid into a more powerful PSU now than having to get a whole new one later on.