aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
So its been over a year since i bought my dell, and im no longer under warranty. Until now i really haven't been monitoring the temps of my computer. (using Everest) I've read a few forums about poor air flow in this case and I decided that it was time for a case upgrade. I am aware that the current board in the computer is proprietary and i wouldn't be able to simply swap all the hardware to a new case. So i decided to buy a new board/psu and just use the cpu/ram/vid card that came with my system. My question is, would it just be as simple as that. Or am i not looking in depth enough about it.

Case im changing to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138162

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Sorry ... Nobody, here, is going to "sign off" on that strategy ...

Dell (sometimes) makes any number of proprietary changes and compromises, in their builds, and they wrote their own, modified Phoenix BIOS, up until (at least) after I left the company ...
... It is possible, if not likely, that bios may be tweaked as a workaround for non-certified parts.
... These may be components that cannot be sold on the open market, due to voltage or timing or noise issues, but will work just fine if the system is custom tweaked to accomodate marginal anomolies.

I am not saying that they ARE doing this ... Just that it is well within the realm of possibility.

... I live in Austin ... I worked in L2 Tech Support, for years ... Don't try this !

RAM timings ?? ... Standard CPU/Socket? ...

... Plus ... A HAF 912 or an Antec 300 ILLUSION would be plenty of case.

What about the cooler ??

ehhhhh ... ummmmm ... I just wouldn't waste my money, TRYING to put lipstick on this pig!

USE IT TILL IT DIES ... We can help you with an all-new build, then.

** IF ** you remain determined, to pursue this course of folly, then, you are asking on the wrong forum.

... You should be asking on the HOME-BUILT forum, and NOT the "NEW SYSTEMS BUILD" forum.

And, ... God help you !

mavroxur

Distinguished

When the hell has Dell never used a standard CPU / Socket? Last I checked, Dell didn't build their own processors.

If you had read the OP's post, you would see that he is buying a new case, motherboard, and power supply. He is going to re-use his RAM, CPU, and Video Card. As long as the board he purchases supports his video card (PCI-e x16), his CPU (a socket 1156 or some flavor), his RAM (which is either ddr3 1066MHz or 1333MHz) and other peripherals (hard drive, etc) he will be fine. He will need to purcahse a new CPU heatsink, being that the Dell's use a non-standard cooling solution.

This is why I absolutely hate calling Dell for anything. The tech support "techs" you have to go through to get warranty replacement parts make me want to /wrists. They don't listen, and can't think outside of their scripts they're told to read. I've wasted countless hours going through their forced diagnostics trying to get parts for problems i've already diagnosed that are painfully obvious.

OP, what you're doing is completely in the realm of possible. Just verify your RAM and processor compatability with the board you select. I'm assuming the old video card is PCI-e, obviously.

aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Yup the ram is ddr3 1600 and the CPU is i7 860 lynfield 2.80ghz socket 1156, and the card is a radeon 5770 so everything appears to be perfectly compatible. The CPU hs/fan im getting is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134 so i think everything will be good :D It'll just be a huge relief once i get this set up because under load my CPU gets up in the 80C range and maxed at 95C while playing l4d2. The GPU @ 100% speed usually stays in the 70C range which is discomforting considering its at 100% and its pretty annoying how loud it is. Thanks for the replies, hopefully i'll get this started some time in feb

mavroxur

Distinguished

That cooler should work just fine. That, with the case you selected should knock your temps down quite a bit.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Well ... Thanks for listing your parts specs ... that kinda helps us help you.

For instance, now I know that your proc is very decent and fairly new and WORTH salvaging ...

I also now know that a standard/current chipset will support your ram. Would be nice if DELL could provide you with the exact timings ... that would help with OC.

I would not have a BIOSTAR mobo, if you GAVE it to me ... Go ASUS or GIGABYTE. (NOT Just my opinion).

That is an awesome proc ... will OC *VERY* well ... Get the 120mm HYPER 212+ cooler and ...
... Get a matched (RPM/CFM) 2nd fan, for push-pull cooling ... I will pull the exact part-link, for that 2nd fan, if you decide to go with a push-pull config.
... The HYPER 212+ is not only FAR SUPERIOR ... It costs the SAME as the part you chose.

I still think the Antec 300 ILLUSION or the HAF 922 case would be PLENTY of case ... both are great.

The PSU is fine ... You could easily get by with a 750W if you don't intend to crossfire (or SLI) ...

I, personally, would go with a CORSAIR but that Antec is just fine.

I would pull exact parts, for you, but I am kinda ticked that you did not come right out and list YOUR current parts, in the first place.

I rescued this thread, from falling off the page, with zero responses. There is a reason that nobody else responded, before I did.

As far as that "other" tech, that chimed in ... He sure is confident on spending your money without knowing exactly what you had ...
... the guy must be some sort of psychic.

aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Thanks again for all the help,sorry that i didn't list the current specs. I was at the start just trying to see if salvaging the hardware was plausible. As it seems it is, and i appreciate any input provided on the matter. If you could point me to an alternate motherboard that would be great. Again i appreciate any responses. xD Thanks.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Nice mobo, thanks for pointing that one out. Also thanks for pointing out the other hs/fan and 2nd fan. In regards to the power supply, that was the one i had originally selected but was swayed towards the antec due to the combo deal with the case. Would it really be worth getting the corsair instead? I'm new to picking out hardware so i don't know exactly whats better than what. I have disassembled and reassembled computers in the past and have done this sort of thing. Again thanks for the help, any additional help is appreciated :D

aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
ohh and in regards to the case, i'm going to stick with the antec 1200 since my friend has it and I've personally seen it up close so i know exactly what i'm getting into. Thanks again for the input.

mavroxur

Distinguished

I used my psychic skills.... I googled "XPS 8100" (from the thread topic) to get his general specs. Hmmm..... looks to be a socket 1156 system, that uses DDR3...... Wow, i know that's hard to wrap your ex-Dell tech support head around. And being that the board he linked supports virtually every 1156 chip that his system could possibly have, and supports all popular speeds of DDR3, as well as having a PCI-e slot (since his system has a PCI-e card), why yes, I was pretty confident that my mastery of the english language, as well as googling Dell's spec sheet for that model, that his parts would work.

/thread

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Cool deal, Pimp-Daddy!

What is hilarious, to me, is the NEITHER one of us would have served this customer, well, on our own ... but TOGETHER, we did get the job done pretty well, and the customer was, in the end, well served.

(1) Customer leaves a very vaque post without much detail ...
(2) NOBODY responds ... Alvin logs in to "kill a few zeros" at 5am and decides to bump this thread with an (admittedly) lazy response.
(3) Pimp-Stud logs on and, rather than throwing some decent links, decides he's gonna make some bones and take Alvin to school .
(4) The OP finally does HIS part and lists his components.
... No .. I wasn't gonna DIG for them, at 5am .. on a one year+ old sys.
(5) Alvin throws some great links to save the OP from buying crap ...
(6) Pimp-Wad decides he wants to be just as nasty as possible.
(7) The customer gets it ... has some decent choices to ponder.
(8) The END ? ... I doubt it.

C'mon ... get all that "nasty" out of your system.

aghostinurpants

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
lol, either way i appreciate the confirmation and help received. Mavroxur you helped me by confirming that this was indeed feasible and Alvin Smith thanks for pointing out the better parts for the same price. You both have been helpful. :D

mavroxur

Distinguished
The OP posted everything we needed to know in the FIRST POST, Dell dude. He posted the model of his exact system. What more do you need? A DNA sample? And he was promptly shot down for an array of incorrect reasons. And yes, I did step in and correct that before he left with the idea that he should just start from scratch. I'm sorry if I threw you under the bus (and then backed over you a couple more times for good measure) but an uninformed answer in the forums can be worse than no answer at all.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
These little cat fights are half the fun ... especially when they are witty and funny.

I don't mind sarcasm and I deserved to be slapped down (by PIMPles) for blowing smoke at you.

Honestly, tho ... you did say that it was over a year old ... And, for all I know, DELL arranged for strange RAM or wave-soldering or "who knows?" ... Being over a year old, I figgered it was not worth either of our time ... And did not expect to be able to get a Google HIT (that could be trusted) on a Factory build that is over a year old.

Further ... YOU did not fill out the form or give a budget. Did not post exact parts ... I feel like I was "set up" for flamage.

And ... Ths *IS* the *NEW* Systems Build Forum ... Not the HomeBuilt Forum.

Now ... I screwed up and I gotta wear it ... I was faced with letting your thread fall off the edge of the world, un-answered ... or ... to lay down some Troll Bait for a younger and more energetic tech. ... It worked, but I had no idea he was gonna make a career out of sliming me. ... But I like that he did stick up for you and "call my BS" ...
... Normally ... HE would have done the heavy lifting and I woulda been ... GONE !

But ... Because things got so PRISSY (yup) ... I am spending twice as much time trying to smooth your feathers and to prep him, for the next time he and I bump heads.

Oh, well ...

I was not going to let your thread die without one more try (at the top of the stack). ... My crappy answer was sure to get some kind of response.

HE was not going to let me shine you on ... went and googled it up (YAY! Thanks!).

I was not going to let you get away with that cooler when a Hyper 212+ costs the same ...

And we had a great "Girl Fight" ... for the lurkers.

What's not to like ???

YOU ARE SUCH A TROUBLE-MAKER !!! It' all YOUR fault !!

But ... yeah ... I shoulda just been super-nice and dug up the dope on yer old parts and gone from there.

ONE LAST THING ... IMPORTANT (Maybe) ...

ALL the 1156 boards are going OUT OF STOCK ... ALL the most popular options are aalready sold out ...

THAT BOARD I SPEC'd/RECOMMENDED IS NOT THE BEST AVAILABLE CHOICE ...

THIS board will let you do 8x8 crossfire OR SLI ... leave all options open !

ASRock P55 EXTREME4 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel 1st motherboard to support Front USB 3.0, SLI, THX
In stock.
Now: $149.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157206

Learn more about the ASRock P55 EXTREME4
Model
Brand ASRock
Model P55 EXTREME4 Supported CPU
CPU Socket Type LGA 1156
CPU Type Core i7 / i5 / i3 / Pentium (LGA1156)
Supported CPU Technologies Supports Intel Turbo Boost Technology
Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
Supports Untied Overclocking Technology
Supports EM64T CPU Chipsets
North Bridge Intel P55 Memory
Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
Memory Standard DDR3 2600+(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066
Maximum Memory Supported 16GB
Channel Supported Dual Channel Expansion Slots
PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots (Single at x16 or Dual at x8/x8 mode)
PCI Express x1 3
PCI Slots 2 Storage Devices
PATA 1 x ATA133 2 Dev. Max
SATA 3Gb/s 6
SATA 6Gb/s 4 x SATA 6Gb/s
SATA RAID SATAII 3.0 Gb/s: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, JBOD Onboard Video
Onboard Video Chipset None Onboard Audio
Audio Chipset Realtek ALC892
Audio Channels 8 Channels Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Realtek 8111E
Max LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
USB 1.1/2.0 6 x USB 2.0
USB 3.0 2 x USB 3.0
eSATA 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s
S/PDIF Out 1 x Optical, 1 x Coaxial
Audio Ports 6 Ports Onboard USB
Onboard USB 3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x USB 3.0 header (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports) Physical Spec
Form Factor ATX
Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"
Power Pin 24 Pin Features
Features ASRock DuraCap (2.5 x longer life time), 100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors

Supports Dual Channel DDR3 2600+(OC)

Dr. Debug, Smart Swith Design: Power/Reset/Clear CMOS Switch with LED

Supports ASRock Instant Boot, Instant Flash, OC Tuner, IES, OC DNA, AIWI, APP Charger, Good Night LED, Multi-Speed Fan Control

Combo Cooler Option (C.C.O.)

7.1 CH HD Audio (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), THX TruStudio ProTM and Premium Blu-ray audio support

Advanced V8 + 2 Power Phase Design

ErP/EuP Ready

Supports ATI CrossFireX and Quad CrossFireX; NVIDIA SLI and Quad SLI

Free Software : CyberLink DVD Suite - OEM and Trial; THX TruStudio ProTM - OEM

Free Bundle: 1 x ASRock SLI_Bridge_2S Card, 1 x Front USB 3.0 Pa

mavroxur

Distinguished

Strange RAM? What manufacturer has used proprietary one-off RAM in a mainstream PC in the last....how many years? The last mainstream retail PC's i recall using proprietary RAM was like.... back in the 386/486 era, some AST's used weird SIMMs. Since then desktops have pretty much been on the on the same page. Wave soldering refers to how the components are soldered to the board, now what kind of RAM or CPU a system uses. And the "google hit" was a page on Dell's website actually, that listed the specs for his system. It's pretty cut and dried.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
It is not at ALL uncommon, for system builders to make bios/timing changes to accomodate marginal parts.

Nor is it unheard of for INTEL to do special "cost reduced" runs on lower cost mounting options, tho I have not seen that in a good while. ... Good for you that you got a hit on the DELL page ... GREAT that it was all "Cut-n-Dry ... I just MUST read over some of your posts, on pother threads, to get to know you better. ... Just to see if you are EVER graceful or nice ... Or if you are just looking for someone to spank.

... I could tell you story after story (all true, BTW) of how one mfg or another got a great deal on tons of iffy drives, etc., just because they can "make them work" ... Even YOU mentionned the NON-STANDARD cooling option ... Why would that methodology not extend to other components ?

And ... I never ONCE ever read from a script ... But I did write a few.

... Look ... I am not going to waste your time (or even mine) trying to justify myself, to you.
(unless you REALLY want to ... In that case ... ok).

I *WAS* wondering, if you came onto this thread, to actually HELP the OP ... or JUST to give Alvin as much grief as you possibly can.

... I have my answer ... And a full review of this thread will prove how much good info you provided to the OP ...

... About one word in ten, maybe ... dedicated to serving the OP ... ALL the rest trying to play gunslinger with a guy who has twenty years on you and has forgotten more about systems than you shall EVER know.

More Troll bait ... BTW.

This is great. (seriously) ! ... (But not TOO seriously) ... Hmmm ?

But ... I admit that you were right to do SOME barking ... I was truly sloppy, on this one ... But I did explain the reasons I did what I did and didn't do what I didn't do ...

There's plenty more disk space on the THG forum servers ... your serve ! [thwak!].

mavroxur

Distinguished
Nice, now you know how many years I have been doing this. How, i'm not sure, but obviously your crystal ball told you. Your information has been "no, you can't do it, dells use proprietary cpu's and ram". I'd expect the next line from you to have been "buy another Dell, please wait while i transfer you to the sales department, sir!" Somehow I don't quite think you have as much experience as you're leading on to have, or you wouldn't have made some of the comments you have made. Until you've had to shuffle base addresses on ISA RAM expansion cards or can tell me the debug command to invoke a low-level format on an MFM drive, you can't say you've been doing it longer than I have. I'm sorry, that's just the way it is. Call it troll bait if you want, I call it the hard facts.

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

Hi there, I have owned Dell PCs for years. You can use the parts you specified and I have. I think the biggest dislike about the ram and video card is there cheap. The ram (if you choose ) will OC a little but most likely will fail. I have never got a video card from Dell that was not under-clocked. FYI Dell is notorious for installing there MB upside down.

Good luck.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
DIP-Wad ... I see that you changed your avitar, from a box of PIMP-TARTS, to some sort of DIP critter .. Kinda makes all my knick-names seem out of context ...
... And you are putting words in my mouth and distorting info that is (or at least WAS) in this thread, plain to see ...
... As far as experience goes ... I'm not going to issue my littany ... we don't have room on the servers, for that !

... You are nothing more than just another noob-troll that THINKS he has it all figgered out ... caught Alvin on a sleepy morning and decided to TRY to spank him ...
... You did exactly what I hoped you would ... just dint expect youd be such a baby ...
... But I don't need to say any of that ... it is obvious to anyone.

You are SO cute !!