Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will this PSU work with my build - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650

Last response: in Components
Share
April 26, 2011 6:59:45 AM

Here is my build so far:

CASE = Haf 912 in this bundle deal with PSU ????
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 - regular version, not Pro or Deluxe and not LE version
CPU = i5 2500k
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory = G.SKILL RipJaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
GPU = GTX 460 1 gig - not sure which brand/version (haven't bought yet)
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB Internal HDD
PSU - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ? ? ?


Basically, the reason that I'm interested in the RS650 power supply, is because of the bundle deal that newegg has with the HAF 912 case. I was going to buy the HAF 912 at Amazon for $60 (free ship, no tax, don't have to deal with rebates). But I also need a power supply. If I get this combo deal, then it's $119.05 with tax, so I'm paying $59.05 for the PSU, and I also still have a chance of getting some rebate money back. (I'm not going to count on getting the rebates, but you never know).


Here is a link to the deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?SID...


It's a pretty good deal, even considering I have to pay tax, if this PSU is any good.

More about : psu work build cooler master series rs650

a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 9:38:25 AM

Looks fine to me.

I'd have a look around before you buy though, I'm pretty sure you could get a PSU that would fit your requirements without paying $60.

The PSU itself is a good one. CM do good work, though I wouldn't say are as good as Corsair or someone of equal PSU establishment.

Get the combo if you don't fancy searching around for a better deal.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 26, 2011 11:36:32 AM

The psu is a good one, I have used the same psu before and its been rock solid reliable. What ever you do stick with the well known brands such as coolermaster,corsair etc etc as cheap ones will cause more problems than their worth.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 11:38:15 AM

Well if you were to sli the 460 it still would be enough.
m
0
l
April 26, 2011 2:38:53 PM

+1 Corsair offer great PSU's
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 4:24:31 PM

dhicks19 said:
The psu is a good one, I have used the same psu before and its been rock solid reliable. What ever you do stick with the well known brands such as coolermaster,corsair etc etc as cheap ones will cause more problems than their worth.


Only if you buy stupid.

I've used several "no-brand" PSU's without fault.

If you look around, you can buy power supplies that are identical to Corsair's or Antec's but without the branding.
The only difference is that the branded one's have stricter testing and better warranty.

I've been using a 1100W no-brand PSU without fault for over 3 years now, and it gives more amps over four 12v rails than a lot of the branded ones. It runs cool and stable and has never faulted.

It's good practice to buy branded PSU's, but it's foolish to think that all non-branded are total bollocks.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 26, 2011 4:27:11 PM

Also to follow on from that.. think about how many HP or Dell computers you've opened to fix for friends and family (or on a commercial level like myself and a lot of people on these forums) and then think of how many were just random power supplies with a load of chinese on them instead of a big corsair badge.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 11:22:47 AM

Yes fixed many pcs and most being the cheapo PSU's, not saying all unbranded PSU are rubbish. The fact is that it is better to go with a good branded one for better quality control and the warranty etc. The cheap PSU's are was talking about was EZCOOL and the like. Had a couple and both have failed in days.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 1:06:44 PM

I have an EZCOOL in my third machine, been running for 6 years now no problems.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 1:28:36 PM

yeah but I bet the specs are low 200mhz cpu 128mb ram, barely loading the PSU. I am going from experience with these type of CPU's, when using high end components stay clear from brands such as EZCOOL etc. I personally have had a few fail and take out my components then when replaced with a decent psu its all fine.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 1:40:11 PM

2.1GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, old 128MB GPU and two hard drives.

Having two PSU's of one brand fail does not make it a bad brand, it makes you unlucky and nothing more. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had two or more Corsair or Antec PSUs fail on them.. but would be foolish to base a whole brand on one persons experience.

I'm not saying cheap brands are equal to branded PSUs, just to accept that 9 times out of 10 a cheap brand PSU will do the job just as good. Maybe in countries with lower quality power going into the power supply there will be more issues, but I've only had a few PSUs ever die on me here and they were all respectable brands such as Antec.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 1:48:38 PM

Ok well that spec hardly puts a load on. I guess your experience is different to mine. I have fixed countless machines where the PSU failed, and you guessed it, they were all cheap brands. At the end of the day, if you have high end components, its always worth getting the good branded PSU's.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 2:19:52 PM

acer0169 said:
2.1GHz Dual core, 2GB RAM, old 128MB GPU and two hard drives.

Having two PSU's of one brand fail does not make it a bad brand, it makes you unlucky and nothing more. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had two or more Corsair or Antec PSUs fail on them.. but would be foolish to base a whole brand on one persons experience.

I'm not saying cheap brands are equal to branded PSUs, just to accept that 9 times out of 10 a cheap brand PSU will do the job just as good. Maybe in countries with lower quality power going into the power supply there will be more issues, but I've only had a few PSUs ever die on me here and they were all respectable brands such as Antec.

It's one of those thing though, "Why get a well known PSU like a 500w for 60-80$ from Antec when I could get a 550w for 20$ from a company called, "Logysis?"
When I did my first build, I went with Rosewill. Rosewill was bagged on for their power supplies in forums but it was cheaper. Hell, my 500w ran for 1 1/2 years for 24/7 when the computer demanded around 480w during gaming, which I did often. They warranted it after it began short circuiting, and I went with an Antec power supply. I have to say though, Rosewill was rather nice about warranting it and replying to me.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 2:32:00 PM

*Most* of the smaller companies have much greater customer after care.

Again though, I want to stress that I'm not trying to say that everyone should ignore people like Corsair or whatever and just buy crap - just do your research and buy smart.

I'm running a gaming / work machine on a cheap 1100W PSU and have been for years. It's running around 10 USB devices including two external hard drives and two webcams, and has no issue with gaming with SLI and a 6-core.

m
0
l
April 27, 2011 2:39:45 PM

could you tell me where you bought it from, gonna test one of these.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 2:44:48 PM

I bought my 1100W from ebuyer.com.

They no longer sell the exact one I got, but it's almost identical to the OCZ GameXStream in appearance.

Bought for £80 GPB several years ago.
m
0
l
April 27, 2011 5:04:35 PM

acer0169 said:
I bought my 1100W from ebuyer.com.

They no longer sell the exact one I got, but it's almost identical to the OCZ GameXStream in appearance.

Bought for £80 GPB several years ago.

You got a Xion series? The 1100w Xion is 110$ but out of stock.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 5:27:15 PM

No it's not a Xion.

It's semi modular, black fan (no LED) and a normal ATX size, not extended (as most 900W+ are)
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
April 27, 2011 5:41:06 PM

acer0169 said:
*Most* of the smaller companies have much greater customer after care.

Again though, I want to stress that I'm not trying to say that everyone should ignore people like Corsair or whatever and just buy crap - just do your research and buy smart.

I'm running a gaming / work machine on a cheap 1100W PSU and have been for years. It's running around 10 USB devices including two external hard drives and two webcams, and has no issue with gaming with SLI and a 6-core.

come on acer0169 i think this overbashing isnt something we all like.
There is a difference between unbranded psu and that is circuit design.
m
0
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
April 28, 2011 2:49:12 AM

LarryJones1 said:
Here is my build so far:

CASE = Haf 912 in this bundle deal with PSU ????
Motherboard - Asus P8P67 - regular version, not Pro or Deluxe and not LE version
CPU = i5 2500k
CPU Cooler = Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory = G.SKILL RipJaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
GPU = GTX 460 1 gig - not sure which brand/version (haven't bought yet)
HDD = Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB Internal HDD
PSU - COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply ? ? ?


Basically, the reason that I'm interested in the RS650 power supply, is because of the bundle deal that newegg has with the HAF 912 case. I was going to buy the HAF 912 at Amazon for $60 (free ship, no tax, don't have to deal with rebates). But I also need a power supply. If I get this combo deal, then it's $119.05 with tax, so I'm paying $59.05 for the PSU, and I also still have a chance of getting some rebate money back. (I'm not going to count on getting the rebates, but you never know).


Here is a link to the deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?SID...


It's a pretty good deal, even considering I have to pay tax, if this PSU is any good.

Better units then a CM GX 650W imo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...
HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!