Sign in with
Your question

Tell me some about: ATI Radeon HD 4200 (Facts and Opinions Welcome!)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2010 6:46:06 PM

I was wondering if my graphics card would play World of Warcraft and/or Sims 3 just fine, and since I know very little about computers, I thought I'd ask you guys...

I have a:
ATI Radeon HD 4200

If this card is a 'no go' for either of these games, would you care to recommend some games on its level and/or a card that would be able to handle either or both of these games?
Does any of this make any sense? I tend to ramble when I type. Sorry.
And please be patient with my 'slowness' when it comes to computers!
Thanks for all of your help!

More about : ati radeon 4200 facts opinions

a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2010 8:11:16 PM

Hey,
I'm sorry but that is an IGP(Integrated Graphics Port), and they tend to umm.. suck.
If you want to upgrade can you tell us the computer specifications?
EG. Budget, Monitor Resolution, CPU, RAM, PSU(Power Supply Unit) and so on and so forth!
m
l
a c 156 U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 7:37:40 AM

The Radeon HD 4200 is even weaker than the HD 3300. It is designed for Office Applications and 2D High-Definition graphics. If you want to play Sims 3, you'll need a discrete card at the level of the HD 4670 or better. Keep in mind, no card weaker than the mighty Radeon HD 4870 can use more than 512MB so do not get a 1GB card unless it's as powerful or more powerful than the Radeon HD 4870. (GTX 260/275/280/285/295, HD 4890/5830/5850/5870/5970)
m
l
a c 232 U Graphics card
November 30, 2010 1:24:28 PM

Kittylyn said:
I was wondering if my graphics card would play World of Warcraft and/or Sims 3 just fine, and since I know very little about computers, I thought I'd ask you guys...

I have a:
ATI Radeon HD 4200

If this card is a 'no go' for either of these games, would you care to recommend some games on its level and/or a card that would be able to handle either or both of these games?
Does any of this make any sense? I tend to ramble when I type. Sorry.
And please be patient with my 'slowness' when it comes to computers!
Thanks for all of your help!

As both other posters have indicated, a discrete GPU is more suitable for gaming than your integrated HD4200. However, if you have sufficient memory (4GB or higher) and a capable CPU, you can game at reasonable settings with your HD4200. You won't be able to run your games at max settings, but they will work reasonably well if you adjust your game settings.

What make/model of motherboard do you have? How much memory? What CPU? These all matter in fully answering your question. Also, be sure you are using the current most drivers for your HD4200 (from ati.com) to get the most from it.

In summary, a discrete GPU is better (by a lot), but you can get by on the HD4200 if you are reasonable. Good luck!!!
m
l
!