What point d would you use

What point D would you use agaist masses of robots fighters?

And E.E., Rebs, Cyborgs?

Either TL's or MML's. Just depends on what you can afford. However, if
up against masses of fighters you will need ships with many PD slots
and the ship to be as cheap as possible. Of course don't forget the
power of SC's against massed wings. If you have the money buy the ET
that improves SC's.

I have used (as Rebels) Tranquilities with all large weapon slots
filled with SC's against COM fighters. The COM fighters don't stand a
chance! They disappear so quickly in VCR's that it is just plain funny.

Robert.

codynel...@gmail.com wrote:
> What point D would you use agaist masses of robots fighters?
>
> And E.E., Rebs, Cyborgs?

Well, I am priv, my fav race ;)

And I just need to put up some defenses agaist some robots (can't let
them get w/in 400 ly of my planets) and then there is future cobat with
rebs and cyborgs. who have stronger

Since robots supposibly have week fighters, I would think turbo lasers,
but wanted to make sure, since a mistake could mean the game. (Eye Of
Madagon can do that to privs)

Obvoisly I would be loading sandcasters. (but how long before he gets
the exotic if he doesn't already?). I have build some BR5's with 5
sandcasters, and built starfires with 1 sandcasters and quad or turbo
lasers as point d. (these ships are expendable as long as it stops
them) I'm also be having Red Wind Class Carrier (2x200 fighters 8
pointD) to.

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
> What point D would you use agaist masses of robots fighters?
>
> And E.E., Rebs, Cyborgs?

What for a question ;-((.
What race do you play, what ships do you have (enough Ord holds, ...),
or can you counter with own fighters or use SCs maybe with ET ?
Are you short on money or not.
So you can ask but not await a good answer, many depends on the
situation and some on the "gamestyle" / Strategie / Tactics the enemy use.
To make it short, from my expierence the best AF-PD is the MML.

Hope it help.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
> Well, I am priv, my fav race ;)
>
> And I just need to put up some defenses agaist some robots (can't let
> them get w/in 400 ly of my planets) and then there is future cobat with
> rebs and cyborgs. who have stronger
>
> Since robots supposibly have week fighters, I would think turbo lasers,
> but wanted to make sure, since a mistake could mean the game. (Eye Of
> Madagon can do that to privs)
>
> Obvoisly I would be loading sandcasters. (but how long before he gets
> the exotic if he doesn't already?). I have build some BR5's with 5
> sandcasters, and built starfires with 1 sandcasters and quad or turbo
> lasers as point d. (these ships are expendable as long as it stops
> them) I'm also be having Red Wind Class Carrier (2x200 fighters 8
> pointD) to.

Oh,not so good, the Privs have a lack of AF (Anti-Fighter)-ships and no
Lasermines.

How is your money situation and do the Robo use big fleets too or only
lonely ships for refilling his wings ?
Don't forget the Robo T3 is SC-immune.

If I had the money, I would use lots of Red Winds with 1 SC (or 0 SC if
the enemy have SC imunity) and many MMLs with 2 mixed Wings of own
Fighters. If the enemy use Wings over 1K Fighter use one Wing of 400
Fighter on your Red Wind.
Your T1 looks like a good AF-Fighter and cost only 25MC, so put only
small numbers of other Fighters in the wings.

If you use many MMLs you should spent the money to buy the ET PD Boost.
You can use the Skyfire CC with some SCs and 1 or 2 Holo Decoys and
others are MMLs. He have enough Ord special for the HDs and can refill
the other ships and tow the Red Winds. If you use swarms (more then ?
30-40 ships) of Red Winds and Skyfire CCs in each combat you can use TLs
instead the MMLs. But the Skyfire CCs are easy targets for the Robo Gun
Zero.
(You have no Minesweeper to sweep the Robo Nova Mines, so you can not
reach the Robos home area. To wipe him out you need allies otherwise the
Robo will win in the long run.)

For Home defence I would use own Wings, swarms of Small Transports (best
Evasive Bonus of all your ships) with 1 TL, cheap and many targets for
the enemies. If you use Lasno-2 as engines you can put 2 SWs like Pulsed
Laser in it. But then you must avoid that the enemy let Barb or Nova
mines explode over the ships or they are gone. Or you can use swarms of
Outrider instead of the Small Transport, they should live after only 1
explosions. And let some Red Winds and Skyfires at home if you count
with an unfriendly visit.

If the Robo player is an idiot he let you board and tow away his
carriers and refulling ships. But maybe there are some other things
which you can do against the ships.

Best against free flying Wings of the Robo or Rebel are Lasermines,
special if a enemy wing end inside such an field. Boom and wing is gone
or if they fly through the lost many of the fighters.

Nearly all other Pirat ships are nearly useless against Fighter Wings,
special if the enemy have the SC imunnity. But maybe you have enough
money for the ET Energized Sands or SF Computer.

The above is my opinion how I would try it, but I last play the Pirats
in 2002. In the meantime there where many chages and maybe the is a
trick / tactix I'm not aware.

To fight the Rebel, get his ships without combat (there are some ways)
and fight his Wings with the above stuff. And from the Rebell you can
get some Laser Mine Layer, his Guardians.

Hope it helps.

Bye-Bye JoSch.

ya, that is mostly what I am planning.

And planning for my MBR's, Red Wings, BR5's to be the ships I use to go
into robot territory, I'm hoping my "ally" starts being more responsive
in cominication and to the needs, because he needs to start pumping out
those H Ross Destroyer, which would be perfect.

As far as I know, the priv can have the most leathal sup 100 mas fleets
(2x200 fighters carriers, and 15 large weapon ships, and my MBRs) But I
need really good mine sweeper suppport. but first thing first, draw a
line in the sand that they can't poison my area.

>From what I have seen he has ~500 fighters with his carriers (not
including what is inside)

I liek using starfires for this, cuz they are tougher than the reds,
more crew, and wonderfull scan range.(need every chance I get to see
those mines)

when looking at fighters, what do you look at to detrmine to see if
they are good vs ships, fighters, bases?

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
>>From what I have seen he has ~500
fighters with his carriers (not
> including what is inside)

You can see how many wings are docked
with the carrier in overview screen
(somewhere bottom right). That may give
you a hint, if you know how he usually
builds his wings.

cu
Ilja

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
> when looking at fighters, what do you look at to detrmine to see if
> they are good vs ships, fighters, bases?

This quite simple question needs a very
complex answer. Maybe Scytale or one of
the veterans here can answer this properly.
Fighter that are good vs. fighters have
a good beam range and enough generator
to fire continuosly. Maybe mix them with
type 3 or other type which have higher
generators because they count in to
overall battery of the wing.
Good vs. ships are fighter with good
missile range and of course high missile
power but even fighter with high beam
power are quite good against ships.
Maybe mix them with cheap type 1 fighter
as cannon fodder.
This is my very simple point of view. I
usually don't play fighter races so I
rarely use fighters my own.

cu
Ilja

codynelson@gmail.com writes
>What point D would you use agaist masses of robots fighters?

turbolasers. Throw in the occasional Holo Decoy too.

I tried Flake Cannons on some high ord, cheap hulls for "anti Robot
fighter defence on the cheap" recently. They were useless. You need to
spend on at least TL's. I'm not sure, versus Robots, that MML's are
worth the money.

>And E.E., Rebs, Cyborgs?

Here, check out a mix of MML's and TL's (with a handful of HD's in your
fleet). These fighters have better range so you need MML's to counter
them.
--
Paul Honigmann

soxee schrieb:
> Why the HD's? I'm curious.

The HD's are *very* important as they decrease the accuracy of the enemy
fleet.
As a privateer I once defended my homeworld against rebel fighters by
building lots of small transports with hd's and skyfires with sc.
(was quite early in that game).

Jochen

nameless

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2002

codynelson@gmail.com wrote:
> when looking at fighters, what do you look at to detrmine to see if
> they are good vs ships, fighters, bases?

To give you an idea how simple the actual answer is, to such a specific
question.

First of all we have to consider a few things.
- Fighters generally have higher blast levels (beam power / missle
power)
with their weapons than most ships have (most PDs have a rather low
blast
rating) against fighters.
- Fighter wings can shoot more weapons (depending on size) in a tic
than a ship
can fire at fighters.
- Very often mixed fighter wings do boost the capabilities of the wings
- ie.
higher beam weapon power.
- A beam/missle can take out a max of one fighter per shoot.
- To calculate whether a beam/missle does kill a fighter (I will for
once
neglate that I recall Plas>>ma Guns written in the combat reports
when
a wing was hit by a fighter beam) the targeted fighters armor is
compared
with the blast level of the beam/missle (with hopefully at least one
random factor involved in the comparison).
- If a hit does not with above calculation kill the targeted fighter
there is a check on the exposed systems whether the fighter is
destroyed.
- When a fighter wing shoots on a mixed fighter wing,
it is calculated in the same way as it is for the ships pd,
what fighter type is hit.
- A wing can target per tic a max of one object.
- Most fighters have really low armor, so that in many cases even
fighters
with very bad beam/missle power ratings can take such a fighter very
often down with one hit - even the Aczanny type-1 fighter.
- With similiar beam/missle power ratings and armor ratings and equal
wing sizes and not too different hitting probability, it is very
important
who shoots first, since they will kill more fighters than the wing
which just returns the fire afterwards.
- For wings with a much higher combat quickness than the enemy fighter
wing (assuming not to different weapon ranges and a one-on-one
situation)
a low generator power is not that important, since the wing with the
higher
quickness ought to be the one to decide when weapons are fired at
each other.
- In a situation of a swarm of small fighter wings with superior
quickness
against one big enemy wing with superior weapon ranges -
the superior weapon range is not that important.
Since the wing will per tic only take out a max of one wing.
Hopefully the small wings are more or less all shooting at
the big wing within a few tics. With the result that the big wing
would
loose every time more fighters than all small wings together
(in case there are enough small wings).
- The overall quantity usually does matter more in a fighter-fighter
combat than
the ratings of the fighters (see above for arguments).

Alone from the above (which is in no way complete) we can draw quiet a
few conclusion that ie.
very often the cheapest fighters of one race are the best antifighter
fighters
(most often the cheapest is the type-1) - of course we would still
need to consider the difference in price.
For the pure antifighter role, mixed wings are usually not the wings to
take,
at least not in the setup you would use them against
ships - since they could very often degrade to a pure one-type-wing
very fast.
Fighter wings are usually better suited to remove small
quantities of good fighters from a mixed wing than pds
or even Sand Casters (especially since the SandShields
are cheap in contrast to the improved sandcasters ET).

Against bases, only the damage done to the base and/or
that the base shield gets disabled is important.
If the main mission is to destroy the base shield,
cheap fighters with missles and good generator power
should be the ones to use (unless the fighter has special properties),
range is not to important - since you should assemble
them in not too big wings, to cut down the losses against AA Guns.
You do in that case not need any mixed wings.
If you want to maximize damage against the base,
the figher setup should not be too different from the ones used against
ships.

Well maybe I get to fighters against ships at another time.

And last but not least we have to consider that some fighters
can do things which most fighters cannot.