Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Switch for LAN Parties

Last response: in Networking
June 28, 2010 9:31:24 PM

Hey all,

My friends and I love having LAN parties, and in the past we have used my friend's 24-port high-end switch for connecting all the comps. I want to buy a switch that we can use when he can't make it. My question is this: can I buy two or three 8-port switches and just connect them via ethernet? Will all the computers still be able to see each other and still be able to play together and access the internet?
Would I need a crossover cable to connect them?
There will be maybe 17 of us at the most, so I would need to buy probably 2 switches. We have tons of ethernet cables.

Does linking switches like this work?

More about : switch lan parties

June 29, 2010 6:49:32 AM

FrPSh said:
Hey all,

My friends and I love having LAN parties, and in the past we have used my friend's 24-port high-end switch for connecting all the comps. I want to buy a switch that we can use when he can't make it. My question is this: can I buy two or three 8-port switches and just connect them via ethernet? Will all the computers still be able to see each other and still be able to play together and access the internet?
Would I need a crossover cable to connect them?
There will be maybe 17 of us at the most, so I would need to buy probably 2 switches. We have tons of ethernet cables.

Does linking switches like this work?

[#0005ff]Assuming you don't take your PCs to another nbouse for a party, and given that most laptops have wireless facilities, have you considered a single wireless router to take your friend's signal to all of you?[/#000ff]
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:16:31 PM

Only 2 of us have laptops, and only a few of us actually have wireless cards or adapters installed. Plus, being connected by wire would give much faster speeds.

But back to my original question, is it possible to link switches and have everyone on the same network?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 29, 2010 5:56:19 PM

FrPSh said:
Only 2 of us have laptops, and only a few of us actually have wireless cards or adapters installed. Plus, being connected by wire would give much faster speeds.

But back to my original question, is it possible to link switches and have everyone on the same network?

Yes it is possible to Radially-connect switches.

The second switch has it's "uplink" port plugged into any numbered port of the first switch. The third switch has it's uplink port plugged into any numbered port on the First switch as well... on and on until every port of the first switch is feeding another switch if you had that many switches all tied together. This allows the data of the server switch (#1) to handle the data over a single channel, as a single request, to the second, or third, or fourth, switches (whichever one sent the request) which have all the work to get it to any of the 8? machines connected to it (them). Example: Even though 8 machines may be plugged into switch #2, switch #1 only gets one request which is of course sent to the game server machine and the result is send back to switch 2 for distribution to the computer that originally made the request..
This configuration puts switch #1 as the physical hub of the system.

There is actually no limit to the number of switches you can connect this way, except budget problems, they cost money.

You could also connect all the switches in series. Switch 2 connects to numbered port of switch 1, switch 3 connects to a numbered port on switch 2, switch 4 connects to a numbered port on switch 3 and so on. This will be a "Daisy-Chain" and will be very slow at coordinating your game with more than just a few players.
June 30, 2010 12:35:22 AM

Excellent, thanks so much for the detailed answer. That clears things up. One more thing, though: would I need/want to have the PC doing the hosting be on the first (#1) switch, or would it really matter?
m
l
June 30, 2010 1:45:09 PM

FrPSh said:
Excellent, thanks so much for the detailed answer. That clears things up. One more thing, though: would I need/want to have the PC doing the hosting be on the first (#1) switch, or would it really matter?

The first switch for best performance since this is a radial setup.
m
l
June 30, 2010 7:08:21 PM

Best answer selected by frpsh.
m
l
!