Does SRT Smart Response SSD cache feature benefit if OS is on SSD ?

It does not work with another SSD. It is made for a Hard Drive system.

You could use it with a hard drive to accelerate another drive, but generally the OS drive is the one you want fast. So if you have an SSD, you will not gain anything

If you need fast secondary storage like a Photoshop scratch drive or a temp location for video editing, another SSD by it self is best.

By all rights, if you need a massive storage space for files, a hard drive should be fine.

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
So could I add an SSD to the smart response port and set it up for speeding up a normal HDD -AND- still have my OS on SSD?

Let's say I wanted to increase a non SSD drive performance- while still having my OS on a VERTEX 3

Would that matter?

I am basically looking to upgrade my VERTEX2 now.. to a better SSD and wondering if I can make use of it in the new system as SRT ?

You can, but most people use a hard drive just for personal files. This is a place that access times(the huge advantage for an SSD)do not generally help much.

Nothing stops you from doing it and the most common used sections of the drive would make it to the cache.

If you want to upgrade your SSD, you will want to clone windows to the new SSD from the old one. The old SSD can be used with a hard drive(as cache), but may not get you much of a noticeable performance boost.

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

I would just clean install to the new drive.

It's a better option I think.