Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading CPU on MCP61PM-HM

Last response: in CPUs
April 26, 2011 10:14:36 AM

I have a Compaq Presario SR5507f, with a MCP61PM-HM MoBo. The current CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 4050e Dual-Core 2.1ghz. Over time i have been playing more games than I previously expected so i wanted to upgrade some. I have already upgraded my PSU to a Thermaltake 500w PSU, and my graphics card to a GeForce GT220. I was wanting to replace my CPU and get a better one. After researching some I don't think the one I really wanted would work, although it is the same socket type. But I thought I would pass it buy some of you that do this all the time. This is my first time replacing a CPU, or ANY major component for that matter.
The CPU I had my eye on was this AMD PhenomII X4 940(BE).
I was also looking at getting a second hard drive but i didn't see a second SATA slot on my MoBo. So I was also wondering if this would be possible. If you could take a look at my MoBo specs, and give a response.

again my current specs are;

Motherboard: MCP61PM-HM
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4050e Dual-Core 2.10 GHz
PSU: Thermaltake 500w
Graphics card: GeForce GT220

Let me know if more info is needed, thanks.

More about : upgrading cpu mcp61pm

Best solution

a c 159 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2011 10:28:20 AM

Your board will only run am2 cpus up to 89 watts; I had a board almost identical in my acer system. I recommend you change boards only if you have another operating system coa sticker to use. Non hp boards won't run with your hp windows installation. I know firsthand as I changed out a board in my compaq. If you have another coa to use, I recommend my biostar A880G+ board from newegg. It uses ddr3, which is still cheap. Sell your old board/cpu/ram as a combo on ebay or craigslist. I also use anandtech's for sale forum, which gets alot more hits than tom's. I would sell your combo for around $100-120 and see if you get any responses. I paid only $32 recently for a single core 3800 cpu with ecs board and 2 gb of ddr2, so your price all depends on your patience. You can keep using your old stuff for awhile while you wait for offers.
April 26, 2011 10:57:52 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I was trying to avoid the hassle of a MoBo swap. But, It might not be SO bad. I don't have any OS disk other than the Recovery disk, so that won't work. I do have a friend that got XP,Vista, and win7 discs with his new comp. and he offered to let me have the vista or win7, not positive that would work either. I'm not sure if i want to do that or not.
Any Ideas about the hard drive?
I'm going to look closer when i get off, I'll report later if there is a another SATA slot.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 26, 2011 11:33:49 AM

Since you are playing more and more games I would also suggest upgrading the motherboard which will allow headroom for future upgrades also. As for the sata question, looking at an image of your motherboard, there are two that I found, I can see 2 sata ports on one and 4 sata ports on the other. A bit more info would help, are you planning on having two hard drives, both sata or upgrading the old one?
m
l
April 26, 2011 9:02:45 PM

Ok guys thanks, I guess that pretty much answers my questions. It seems, from what I can see just from pictures, my motherboard is MCP61PM-HM(iris). Yes it has 2 SATA slots, but one is used with the current HD and the other is used by the DVD drive. I guess my only option if i keep this MoBo is to only upgrade my CPU slightly, and get a PCI controller to plug a new HD into. I'll look into Mobos then, might be a harder decision. I had also thought about getting a whole new computer that has a bigger HD, faster CPU and better upgrade-ability. Only thing about that is it's more expensive... still from what i can see MoBo,CPU, and OS would be around $170.
m
l
April 27, 2011 10:43:51 PM

Best answer selected by Superman360.
m
l
!