Corsair or XFX

xoier

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Good day,

I got me a little problem i think... Im currently using my 3yr old Silverstone ST50F 500watts and i bought a new GPU a HD 6950 2GB.

Bcoz of a bottleneck with my CPU an Intel E8400 i need to OC my Proc to 4ghz. But im not sure if my PSU can handle it.

I was thinking of buying a new PSU the XFX Black Edtion 750 watts, XFX PRO 750 watts, or the Corsair GS800. Price range is $120 - $140.

or if you guys have idea on cheaper PSU but good ones.

Current RIG:

ASUS P5Q
4x1GB DDR2 800 corsair XMS2
1TB Seagate Baracuda
Optical Drive
TV Tuner

Your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you. :)

Solution

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I wouldn't go for either one of the two. You didn't mention your graphics card, and that might play a big role. 500W is very limited though, and upgrading is a good idea.

My recommendations:

Antec High Current Gamer (HCG) 900W PSU - a bit more expensive than the Corsair.

Huntkey X7 900W

Cooler Master Silent Power Pro 700W

And my personal favourite: The Antec TruePower 750W. Modularized, 82% efficiency and a completely epic 5-year warranty makes this a must-have.

:)

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
anything over 750w is overkill for that system even with that graphics card unless you are planning to upgrade in the future. Ideally it would be better to buy a new psu within the 600-750w. However you are asking if you can overclock the cpu on your current psu, I dont think you would have an issue OC the cpu with that PSU.

xoier

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
@ Davcon
I have read the review about the xfx black edition and it rocks... i hope it really does for real.. lucky for me they got stocks here in Davao... :)

@Toxxyc

Im sure the 900 watts would cost me a lot... and i think we only got the Cooler master here... not sure about the stocks of huntkey.

@dhicks19

I read good reviews about corsair and looking at Corsair and XFX it seems that XFX is new to the PSU biznez.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Im about 60% for the XFX Black Edition or the Pro will also do bcoz of the Price and the black edition is modular, but the quality of Corsair is telling me to go for them... hahahaha... I guess im gonna need more info from you guys about actual usage of such PSU's. Im gonna be selling my Silverstone for $35. hehehehe.

You can get the XFX XXX edition 650W PSU for a very good price from newegg -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207007

It can handle almost any single GPU powered rig adequately.. Your budget however is good enough to fetch you high wattage units too.. If that's the way you want to go then consider the following PSU's -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371025

There is also the Antec HCG 900 at a good price -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371050

But mixed reviews bring some doubt -

www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=211

www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/15/antec_high_current_gamer_900w_power_supply_review/9

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

This is what I have been saying. I think the current psu would be fine, it would be fine to OC the CPU to 4ghz also. According to psu calculators the current psu is more than capable of running that setup at 4ghz.

The XFX Black Edtion is one tier above the PRO.
It offers the best value and performance and the modular cables are a bonus.
The XFX units are made by Seasonic,same as alot of the new units from Corsair such as the AX/TXV2's and Antec's True Power New's.
The old Corsair TX and HX line are made by CWT another high-end oem.
I think your Silverstone would be pushed too hard if you plan on oc'ing your cpu coupled with the new gpu.
It would work but for how long?

Solution

xoier

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
@Davcon
Good point... I think i have to sell it while i still can... I think the only thing that's kinda weird about the black edition is the fan... My opinion btw...

@dhicks19
I have tried to OC my CPU when i was using 6870 and it was stable for such a period of time... I did not encounter any error or some problem at all but when I upgraded to 6950 i was thinking twice about the OC for CPU.

@zulfadhli
I have been using my PSU for 3yrs and with my 8800GT sonic and lots of gaming on a non aircondition room. I guess an upgrade will help but u also have a point.. tnx...

@Emperus
Nice List you gave me.. i like the antec 900 with the red thingy... and it's same price with the XFX Black Edition... Tnx so much.. :) I wish i can puchase via newegg... :) unfortunately i cant.. :(

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011

Its always going to be better to buy the next upgraded component but its all about your budget and what you want. If you can afford a new decent psu then sure its always going to better to buy one. However considering your system ran fine previously with an OC of 4ghz with your 6870, I personally cant see there being much difference for the 6950 OC setup. It will work fine overclocked at 4ghz with your new card.

xoier

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
@ct1615
tnx for the nice chart you posted... it was like a wake up call for me... Im now reading the reviews of GS 800 and looking for other review for the XFX PSU's... Im gonna try OC'ing my CPU later see if it's still stable... tnx so much for this...

I would go with XFX since all of their PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic.

Corsair PSUs are either manufactured by CWT or Seasonic depending on the model. It appears they are slowly shifting away from Seasonic to save money on manufacturing costs.

CWT has a good reputation for manufacturing reliable PSUs.

Seasonic is in a class of it's own.