MSI RECALL PROCEDURE FOR AMD MAINBOARD 700-800-900?

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Note1:
"Due to some design limitation, this mainboards supports AM3+ CPUs with max 95W. Please refer to the CPU compatibility list for details."

Note2:
"due to power design specifications we strongly advise against running heavy bum in tools on this mainboard to protect your system from heat damage"

From today Msi added some new "Notes" as Note1 and Note2 to their AMD Mainboards 700,800 and 900 series.
can some one explain what does it means and why shouldnt we use heavy bum in tools on these mainboard series.

And some one needs to explain what are these heavy bum in tools?!!!
GAMES = HEAVY
OVERCLOCK = HEAVY
New FX CPUs = HEAVY
RENDERING = HEAVY
ENCODE,DECODE = HEAVY
does this mean MSI starting a recall procedure for their mainboards? :eek:

do these problems related to each other?

Whats happening To CPU Temperature
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303918-30-whats-happening-temperature#t2044877

They probably meant heavy burn-in tools. They are tools to get the CPU 100% busy for several hours and that can draw more power than the motherboard can handle. In other words, buy a motherboard rated for what you plan on using it for. A 125W motherboard will handle a 95W CPU that runs at 100% for several days without overheating issues.

The issue at the link that you provided is with a 125W CPU and that has nothing to do with a motherboard that supports 95W or less CPUs.

Why should MSI initiate a recall?

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Those mains are AM3+ FX 125 W ready and AM3 must run with no problem. if those mains cant handle such stress they should omitt 1090 and 1100 and FX 125W cpus from support list
I got a 970A-G45 with a 1090 and it can't handle the stress from bios (really!!!) and from new bios it downclock itself to 800MHz

Which motherboard(s) are you referring to? 1090 and 1100 are 125W processors; therefore they probably aren't included in the CPU list of a 95W motherboard. There are FX processors up to 95W only (FX-4100 and FX-6100). MSI manufacture motherboards that can handle 140W CPUs, e.g., 990XA-GD55.

Edit: The 760GM-P23 includes the notes that you referred to, but it doesn't list the 1090 and the 1100 in the supported CPU list. In addition, it's a $55 motherboard; therefore you can't expect it to be as good as the 990XA-GD55.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Msi Fx series Mainboards like
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870A-G54--FX-.html
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html

there are many more.
and as i told ive the problem at the very moment :cry:

Edit: Im not saying this just by a mark of Fx Ready. they explicitly said that they support 125w series and now their heating problems blown. and in new version of bios they downclock at critical moments.(like my system)

MSI 970A g45
PhenomII x6 1090 3.2GHz (No OC)
16GB ram Adata 4x4gb gaming
psu 785w gaming rating 80

Heavy burn in tools and running applications, including games, are very different. Not all buyers of that motherboard installed a 125W CPU. You did and you are having an issue, but MSI may be willing to exchange the motherboard. Have you contacted them? When does your system downclock? While playing games or when you run a burn-in test like Prime95?

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

"Not all buyers of that motherboard installed a 125W CPU", ridiculous.

"You did and you are having an issue, but MSI may be willing to exchange the motherboard.Have you contacted them?" , Yeah they said get a 990fx and im going to change it to 990fxa-gd80.

"When does your system downclock?" when cpu temperature goes higher than 62*c.

"While playing games or when you run a burn-in test like Prime95?" Both and even in Bios. i go to bios and just wait about 2 minute and it downclock.

so simple these boards with Note2 wont support 1090 (and other 125W) and they are not going to remove those cpus from list.
Is 62 on a 1090 a big deal. any game these days would make cpu to reach that temprature like crysis 2 ( i had blue screen before bios update and now downclock).
tomorrow they are going to contact me for changing Mobos. :fou: and ive to pay more.

"When does your system downclock?" when cpu temperature goes higher than 62*c.
That's how the system is configured; i.e., throttle when the CPU gets to 62°C. Can't that be adjusted in the BIOS or can't you improve the CPU cooling? You can hardly blame MSI for that security feature.
"While playing games or when you run a burn-in test like Prime95?" Both and even in Bios. i go to bios and just wait about 2 minute and it downclock.
It downclocks because it gets to 62°C while in the BIOS? If that's the case, then you have a cooling issue that needs to be addressed.
so simple these boards with Note2 wont support 1090 (and other 125W) and they are not going to remove those cpus from list.
Can you provide a link where they list 125W CPUs for a 95W maximum motherboard? I haven't found one.
Is 62 on a 1090 a big deal. any game these days would make cpu to reach that temprature like crysis 2 ( i had blue screen before bios update and now downclock).
It's better to downclock the processor than crash the system. Again there seems to be something wrong with the CPU cooler.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Take a look at G46 and compare its heat sink in NB with G45.
Also they changed the place of sata connectors(first two), it was stupid that if you place a mid end vga with big fan like asus DCII series you lose 2 SATA connector.

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html

and also Asrock 970 is just like Msi 970 have small NB heat sink and because of that, that mainboard throttle cpu power too.( newegg review)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157262

It downclocks because it gets to 62°C while in the BIOS? If that's the case, then you have a cooling issue that needs to be addressed.
It's better to downclock the processor than crash the system. Again there seems to be something wrong with the CPU cooler.

i told you but i guess its not cpu cooler prob.(its so noisy with 6k rpm FTW) im going to use two system for rendering and their niose level is something like 60db or more(you cant stay and listen. you will get mad)
but im going to get a cooler master V6GT or a 212.

Can you provide a link where they list 125W CPUs for a 95W maximum motherboard? I haven't found one.
Dont you know "Phenom II X6 Thuban HDT90ZFBK6DGR 1090T" is 125W?
ok here is the link

970A-G45
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G45.html#/?div=CPUSupport

this one is a Big fat Joke. it tells that it can run FX-8150 Without any decent heatsink. just imaging what would happen.
760GM-E51(FX)
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51--FX-.html#/?div=CPUSupport

each product have its own list and some product's cpu support page "is Empty".

It might be true or not but my guess is that "NEVER buy MoBo with small heatsink when you are going to use full-power of system."

Can you tell me hows msi 990fxa-gd65 for raid 0 with 4 hdd and 1 ssd 160gb R/W 256MB/s and same CPU(1090)?
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD65.html

its SB heat sink is small and im worry about that.

Is the MSI 970A-G46 available for sale? Newegg and other sites don't have it. I don't undersatnd the issue with the first 2 SATA connectors as they are placed the same on both motherboards. Normally a CPU throttles because it gets too hot. A hot NB shouldn't cause throttling. The issue with the MSI 970A-G45 (Note 2) is the voltage regulators that most likely get too hot and they can fail.

AMD fans are known to be loud, but replacing it with a Hyper 212+ should help both in deducing the noise level and the CPU temperature which should also prevent throttling.

The MSI 970A-G45 is a 125W motherboard and it supports the 1090T as long as you don't keep it 100% busy for hours. Again only burn-in tests normally do that.

The issue with the 760GM-E51 (FX) is the same as with the 970A-G45. Again the voltage regulators most likely get too hot and they can fail.
It might be true or not but my guess is that "NEVER buy MoBo with small heatsink when you are going to use full-power of system."
Never buy a motherboard that has weak voltage regulators. If you buy a motherboard that can support 140W processors, e.g., the MSI 990FXA-GD65, then you won't have to worry about the size of the heat sinks.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Its about a week or two that they added gd46 to their site. not ofcourse its not for sale now(2012--marry christ"mess") :lol:

Never buy a motherboard that has weak voltage regulators
what you say is true and i agree with you but why they made a new revision of gd45 with bigger heatsink and without that note2.
MSI knows something....something still under their hood

I don't undersatnd the issue with the first 2 SATA connectors as they are placed the same on both motherboards
did you cleared your glasses :eek: they changed the place of 2 connectors because they mess with VGA. i read that in a newegg review. now there is enough space for any gigantic vga.
EDIT: From MSI Manual:
"Please do not fold the Serial ATA cable into 90-degree angle. Otherwise, data loss may
occur during transmission."

Msi didnt say anything about 95W 125W or 140W in their manual or web site. how you know they are 140w ready or not?
do you have any link?

Rendering keeps Six core to 100% for hours(Final render usually takes about 12-18 hours).
because of this im going to use network rendering with some 1090. but not at 800MHz :non:

what you say is true and i agree with you but why they made a new revision of gd45 with bigger heatsink and without that note2. MSI knows something....something still under their hood
They probably improved the voltage regulators or they have better heatsinks on them.
Msi didnt say anything about 95W 125W or 140W in their manual or web site. how you know they are 140w ready or not? do you have any link?
Look at the CPU list: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD65.html#/?div=CPUSupport The 140W HDZ965FBK4DGI is on that list.
Rendering keeps Six core to 100% for hours
Close to, but probably not 100% as would Prime95.

ileden

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Close to, but probably not 100% as would Prime95.
i can even play a game while im testing prime but during rendering with max 2012 -VRay 1.5 i cant even move mouse. if i want i must change the affinity of 3dmax to use 5 core.

dont you agree with me that msi should atleast change their gd45 to gd46 for those who want to use full power of their cpu?

TRENDING THREADS