Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2010 10:05:28 PM

First off my specs are:
Windows vista 64
Q6600
2x EVGA geforce 8800GT's in SLI
4 GB of RAM

Let me know if a dxdiag would be helpful

Last night I installed IE9 and attempted to perform a restart. The system shut down fine and came back on to a black screen and a message from my monitor that there was no signal or a cable had been disconnected. I tried another monitor with the same results. I tried plugging the monitor into the second card in SLI to see if I could get a signal when booting the machine up and got the message that that card was working but it needed to be moved to another PCI slot to work (due to being second in the SLI configuration). I switched the cards around in SLI and had the second card running by itself for a while. With both configurations the system boots up just fine. However the second card (which was running 1st in the configuration up until last night) Is not being seen by windows. The fan spins but Windows does not recognize the card.

With that said is my card toast? Is there anything I can try to get it going or anything that I might not have thought of. Unfortunately I dont have a spare computer to try the card in but I have a feeling its done for. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

More about : 8800gt toast

November 29, 2010 10:58:57 PM

I've had this happen before. It is toast. Usually due to heat problems. EVGA should have given you a lifetime guarantee. Just have them replace it. Unfortunately they don't make 8800GT's anymore and will probably replace it with a similar card so you can no longer SLI.
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:00:46 PM

1st off, uninstall IE9, its honestly the worst browser to ever grace the earth... get maxthon, firefox or google chrome ( I use chrome ).

On the GPU... try checking that nvidia control panel is detecting it. If it is, make sure SLI is enabled, if not, download CCcleaner at http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ and then reinstall your drivers and tell me what happens.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2010 11:09:33 PM

Interesting thanks for the information. I will have to double check on the lifetime warranty. I dont remember seeing that when I bought the card and I usually notice things like that but I did choose EVGA over a few other brands so maybe it was for the guarantee hard to remember back that far.

Temperatures inside the case have always been pretty consistent and its gotten much colder recently with my interior temps dropping about 10 degrees farenheit. Not to mention the cards had basically been idle prior to the restart for a few hours unless the fan temporarily failed it seems odd that it would have been heat related but considering that heat is the number 1 killer it probably was. Anyway thanks again and I will look into the warranty.
m
l
November 29, 2010 11:26:07 PM

SupahDonkeh said:
1st off, uninstall IE9, its honestly the worst browser to ever grace the earth... get maxthon, firefox or google chrome ( I use chrome ).

On the GPU... try checking that nvidia control panel is detecting it. If it is, make sure SLI is enabled, if not, download CCcleaner at http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/ and then reinstall your drivers and tell me what happens.

Don't worry I am uninstalling IE9 I cant stand it already, I already have firefox and chrome installed. Chrome is my primary browser but I tend to test out new browsers. In this case I wanted to see if I liked IE after the update to 9 and I didn't

Nvidia control panel does not detect the second card.

RegCCcleaner is already installed and I ran it and reinstalled the latest NVidia geforce drivers with no changes.

Thanks for the Ideas though.
m
l
December 4, 2010 7:48:26 PM

Sorry about the wait... i'm thinking it could be a dodgy slot or a dodgy wire that could be going in to the card from the mobo. Try using the card in the same slot with the different wire, then the same wire in a different slot. If you rule those two things out I can only imagine it would be a dodgy card :(  may I suggest two 4890s for 210 quid? :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2010 8:04:47 PM

Internet Explorer should only be used for ONE reason. That reason is to download and install a different web browser (like Firefox). Once you've downloaded the Firefox installer, close the Internet Explorer window and delete any shortcuts to it.

Allow Firefox to become your Default Browser. No more problems.

Now, on to the video card. It sounds like the video card is bunk. If swapping it out for it's twin fixes your problems, that's fairly conclusive evidence that the card has failed. EVGA only offers Lifetime Warranty on certain models of their cards. So you may or may not have Lifetime. I also think Lifetime Warranty requires that you register the card when you buy it new.

Worst case, contact EVGA through their website and see what they'll do for you. :)  As someone else stated, the 8800GT is no longer being made, so if they do replace the card you're likely to get a different model. Which will mean no more SLI. :( 
m
l
!