Solved

Motherboard and CPU

Need to get a new MB and CPU for son's gaming rig. Mostly plays FPS. These are the parts I have:
Case - Antec 300 Illusion
PSU - Corsair Enthusiast Series 650w
GPU - EVGA GTX460 1GB
HDD - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
Memory - 4GB Crucial DDR3 1333
OS - Windows XP
HSF - Coolermaster H212+
Budget - $300 - 400 U.S. buying from Newegg within a week
This needs to remain viable and upgradeable for the next 2-3 years
I have been considering the AMD Athalon II x 3 series or Phenom II 955 (currently in my rig and like it)
Could I do better going with an INTEL in this price range or should I wait and see what Bulldozer has to offer?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about motherboard
  1. Best answer
  2. so I should put this in my rig and hand the AMD Phenom II 955 down to the kid?
  3. Well that decision is really up to you but the performance of the i5-2500K over the Phenom II 955 is really that phenomenal.
  4. Games aren't even X4 optimised

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
    Quote:
    Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

so if there is a microcenter nearby:

$160 965BE + Biostar A780L3G - not a must but at this price might as well hit an X4 hehe

http://www.microcenter.com/specials/promotions/AMDbundlePROMO.html
  5. I think I will go with the core i5 2500k. I think Intel is finally getting there so far as price for performance. As far as mobo Asrock seems to be doing a good job with the 1155 socket. Never used them before but I am not adverse to trying them. I have used ASUS (my favorite), MSI, Biostar, and ECS in the past and currently have an example of all 4 operating with no issues.
  6. Best answer selected by cloonso.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems Product