Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell 3008WFP 2 Computers USB Upstream Splitter?

Tags:
  • Switch
  • Video
  • Dell
  • USB
  • Monitors
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 20, 2011 2:29:44 PM

Hello all. I have a Dell 3008WFPT monitor. his is one hell of a monitor, it has 8 different video inputs. Theoretically one could hook 8 machines up to this beast and have switch between all of them if one was so inclined....I use the two DVI inputs and I switch between two PCs using the monitor's input switch.

Here's the rub: it only has one USB Upstream (type B) connector! WTH? A monitor with this many video inputs should have more than one upstream connection. They did make this thing so people could hook up multiple PCs to it, amirite?

I don't want to get a KVM because I switch video via my monitor. I want to just leave the one keyboard/one mouse that I use for both hooked up to USB downstream ports provided on the monitor that way when I switch the video input they work on both computers. All the USB switches I have seen talk about sharing one device between two computers meaning that they are downstream switches. I need an upstream splitter....Suggestions?

Thanks for all your help guys.

More about : dell 3008wfp computers usb upstream splitter

April 26, 2011 3:09:52 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section CPU & Components by CompTIA_rep
m
l

Best solution

April 26, 2011 3:13:02 PM

What about a USB manual switch. The monitor can not feed bi-directional data to multiple sources at the same time. If it had more USB outputs, only specifc USB inputs would flow to specific USB outputs.
Related resources
April 26, 2011 4:22:01 PM

thanks CompTIA, creepy pic btw. Looks like I have to go with a KVM then.
m
l
April 26, 2011 4:22:08 PM

Best answer selected by gqsmooth.
m
l
April 26, 2011 4:34:23 PM

It would be nice to have the monitor act as a USB swtich or KVM based on input. I don't know of a monitor that does, but that would require a lot of room. Via monitor software, you could define if a USB is on the KVM or dedicated to an video input.

Someone needs to make this happen!
And they have! I expect these features to trickle down in a few years and become standard on professional series and business series LCDs.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20569
m
l
!