Solved

Which XFX GTS 250 to buy? Kinda Confusing....

First off, thanks for maintaining such a great website! I have used this site for years and always found this site to be an outstanding resource. I need help that I couldnt find elsewhere:
My EVGA 8800GTS just cashed out (2 months after the warranty ran out.. >.<) and I was in the market for a new vid card. As I was perusing through the reviews here, I saw that the GTS 250 is still a best buy at under $150. I was surprised to see that tigerdirect had two on sale for less than $75 w/ rebate for the next 24 hours.
The Links:
1)XFX GeForce GTS 250 Zalman Edition 512MB DDR3 PCIe
2)XFX GS250XYDFV GeForce GTS 250 Core Edition Video Card - 512MB DDR3, PCI E
My dilemma is that the 2nd choice is showing higher clock rates on the same card with dual DVI @ $10 more than #1, with DVI, VGA, and HDMI, mated w/ a Zalman Cooler.
Can anyone tell me why #2 is clocked higher even though it is not supposedly overclocked? I looked on the XFX website and matched up the product numbers and the info posted @ Tiger is correct. #2 is clocked higher.
Is this due to a newer/ revised chipset? Or did XFX do a little tweaking already? Kinda odd they would "overclock" the Core and leave the Zalman cooled card lower.
If #2 was a newer chipset, I'd be all over it, since I have no real interest in OCing as it would void the lifetime warranty XFX offers.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I am running a crappy geforce 210 in the meantime.... Help!

Build info:
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.100608-0458)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 1814MB used, 6578MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which kinda confusing
  1. I would say do the second. ;)
  2. HostileDonut said:
    I would say do the second. ;)

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Any thoughts on why XFX boosted the clock on it? Surely there has to be a downside, the differences in clocks are too much, almost enough to not be the same card:
    #1: Core Clock: 680 MHz; Memory Clock: 2000 MHz
    #2: Core Clock: 738 MHz; Memory Clock: 2200 MHz
  3. Well, I think they made the OC edition $10 more (only a slight difference) because so many people would buy it. It is a great deal! You could get two for a low price. Other than that, I do not know why they would do that. Have fun with your new GPU! :D ;) :)
  4. Best answer
    I would say.. neither. Why pay only $5 less for a GTS 250 than it costs for a Radeon HD 4870 which kicks the living crap out of the re-badged 9800GTX+?
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6941705&CatId=3669
  5. And that 4870 also has a gig of ram. 512MBs might start to be limiting for some games and settings. The difference is more then $5 however.

I would also look for a GTS450, 5750, and 5770. Should be able to find some on newegg for around $110. More then the $75 your looking at, but the GTS450 and 5770 are better cards then the GTS250.
  6. i agree, if your looking at a new card to last you, and want high texture detail, 1gb Vram is the go. 512 will start to run short soon.
  7. Thanks for all the input gents. With the holidays approaching, I am being money conscious so I can get the kids what they want for Xmas. I took Avro Arrow's suggestion and snagged a 4870, which was actually a card I was looking at, but after seeing it priced more than I wanted to spend on newegg, I didnt bother looking anywhere else. This is just for a casual gaming system anyway, as long as I can play Diablo III when/if it comes out, I'll be happy.
    Thanks again.
  8. Best answer selected by shivman.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics