First 2 ram slots not working

KittyCow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello, i'm using an Asus p8z68-v GEN3 motherboard with 16Gb (4x4) Kingston HyperX memory. I'm getting a no post scenario and i can almost confirm that my A1 and A2 slots are at fault because when placing the modules into B1 and/or B2, they work fine and pass memtest. Anybody know what's causing this issue or if it's my motherboard that's faulty ?

Read the manual. Nice picture on page 2-5 ... well that's the page number on the Pro version

RAM should be placed in slot A2 for testing one module.
RAM should be placed in slots A2 and B2 for testing two modules.

Note also:

1. Using 4 modules oft necessitates reduction in RAM speed or CAS when OC'ing
2. Using 4 modules may necessitate additional cooling (see page 2-6 of manual)

KittyCow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I'm aware of which slot is best for stabilty however when placing ANY modules into the A slots (A2 for example) - ALL of the ram sitcks would come up with severe errors in memtest86+, crash, and after a while would not post with red DRAM LED lit up. HOWEVER, when placing the SAME module into any B slot, memtest would pass with no errors and so i think i can conclude that it isn't the memory at fault but instead the first two DIMM slots itself. (i have done tests on individual sticks, putting them in dual, and in all 4)

I have tried using the X.M.P. settings, manual adjusting the clocks, and even underclocked them to no avail.

Also yes i have a HyperX memory cooling fan positioned above them so i believe heat is not the issue

TRENDING THREADS