Meteor CBR boarding a cloaked ship?

Last response: in Video Games
March 13, 2005 12:53:08 PM

Is a cloaked ship not safe from boarding parties?

Playing the Birds, I recently sent a Fearless Wing Class Cruiser through
Privateer space ... thinking that a fully cloaked ship would be safe from
harm (except for mines, naturally).

This turn, I was surprised to see that a Meteor Class Blockade Runner had
transfered a boarding party to the Fearless, even though the Fearless was
cloaked. The boarding party was repelled, but I would still like to know if
this could happen again.

The Fearless has a natural sensor image of 20, but had the cloaking device
activated, so it had a noise profile of 0.

The Fearless also had the bioscanner and spy scanner activated, and it was
transferring cargo from a base. Still, the stated noise profile was 0.

What happened?

Thanks,
Dansken
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 1:25:31 PM

And even when you transfer to a planet/base/ship that's not yours, the
noise effect from the transfer is shown in the overview/nav/mission
screen. I'm not sure if it's shown in the ship screens if your ship is
inside the range of a tachyon scanner, but I'm guessing not. Perhaps a
Tachyon scanner lighted up the ship? Otherwise this is strange.

Slapstick
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:52:55 PM

> The Fearless also had the bioscanner and spy scanner activated, and it was
> transferring cargo from a base. Still, the stated noise profile was 0.

Tranfering rises the sensor image. If you transfer anything your ship has
ALWAYS a sensor image above 0 (is not fully cloaked). But I don´t know the
exact formula.
And I don´t know if it was changed some hosts ago (together with
intercepting unseen enemies), but you could transfer things to a ship that
you don´t see, if you had an old scan of it and are in transferrange (of the
actuall unseen ship).
March 13, 2005 4:52:57 PM

Sebastian wrote:

> Tranfering rises the sensor image. If you transfer anything your ship has
> ALWAYS a sensor image above 0 (is not fully cloaked). But I don´t know the
> exact formula.

If there was no changes in the last hosts this is wrong !!!
Transfering to your own stuff (bases, ships, ..) make no extra sensor noise.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
March 13, 2005 11:47:53 PM

nospam wrote:
> If there was no changes in the last hosts this is wrong !!!
> Transfering to your own stuff (bases, ships, ..) make no extra sensor
> noise.

Wrong?
Transporters has always increased noise.
You can found this from Tim's pages that when transportes are active,
they emit 25 noise.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:46:39 AM

Pete wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> If there was no changes in the last hosts this is wrong !!!
>> Transfering to your own stuff (bases, ships, ..) make no extra sensor
>> noise.
>

> Wrong?
> Transporters has always increased noise.
> You can found this from Tim's pages that when transportes are active,
> they emit 25 noise.

What do it tell us ? Is there a bug ?

Make a transfer from a ship to a foreign (enemy) object, to your own
stuff and then cancel all transfers and tell me for each case what is
shown as sensor image for the ship ?
There is no difference between the last 2 and so I think it make no
sensor noise to transfer to your own bases. Maybe there is a bug at the
client, but never hear about and so think it is correct.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
March 14, 2005 9:35:32 AM

A cloaked ship is not safe from most ship devices, since there is about
never a check if the ship is seen by the object (or better if the
sensor image is above zero). The boarding laser is just one of these
devices.
And no that is no strange behaviour, it is just how it is programmed.
In case any of you wants that to be changed they should check for which
other devices this is also true (and do not forget the spy mission
steal ship plans - stealing the plans of a fully cloaked ship).

Furthermore even in case transfer did happen between your ship and
another object, which would as far as I remember need to be be
initiated by your ship
for a rise in sensor image, and even then a transfer between your ship
and any of your bases would not increase sensor image (I am not
entirely sure about ship ship transfer, since I do not remember), the
increase in sensor image should not increase the sensor image of the
fearless above zero, since it only has a warp signature of 20 (20+25
-50 <0). Problem with that is that the cloaking device takes not all
increases in sensor image into account (meaning it calculates the
sensor image max(20-50,0) +25 >0).
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:32:02 PM

> Quote from the Help files
>
> Transporters Active
> 25
> If the transporters are used they will make some noise.
>
> Since last Help files update I don`t remember a change of Sensor
system
> (people should have known when they work diferent, shouldn´t they?).

What is new in Host.exe Version 4.000.062

New: Transporters only make extra sensor noise when transporting cargo
to another race's base or ship

This has not been known to have been changed since it was put in back
in Host 62. I believe the Help Files are wrong on this one.

Scytale
March 14, 2005 8:15:12 PM

nospam wrote:
> What do it tell us ? Is there a bug ?
>
> Make a transfer from a ship to a foreign (enemy) object, to your own
> stuff and then cancel all transfers and tell me for each case what is
> shown as sensor image for the ship ?
> There is no difference between the last 2 and so I think it make no
> sensor noise to transfer to your own bases. Maybe there is a bug at the
> client, but never hear about and so think it is correct.

I don't trust the client. It doesn't show correctly all the time.
I tried:

1. ship -> own base no change
2. ship -> own ship no change
3. ship -> own ship (different ships) increase +15 ???
4. ship -> enemy ship increace +25

When I cancelled the orders, everything went back to original, except
3). It remained at the same level (+15).
When I used that ship to transfer again to own ship, it was still +15,
but transfer to enemy ship increased it by 45, totally +60 from original.
I think there is a bug in the client. I couldn't find anything that if
you transfer cargo from/to your own object, sensor image is not
increased. Just that transporters (when active) increases it by 25.
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 12:16:56 AM

Quote from the Help files

Transporters Active
25
If the transporters are used they will make some noise.

Since last Help files update I don`t remember a change of Sensor system
(people should have known when they work diferent, shouldn´t they?).

But Ilja is right, too. Client will shows still a sensor image of 0 when
transporting things to you own ship.

Either Tim will clarify this or someone has to do some sims (and I´m too
lasy now:)

Greetings
Sebastian
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 1:51:44 AM

Pete wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>> What do it tell us ? Is there a bug ?
>>
>> Make a transfer from a ship to a foreign (enemy) object, to your own
>> stuff and then cancel all transfers and tell me for each case what is
>> shown as sensor image for the ship ?
>> There is no difference between the last 2 and so I think it make no
>> sensor noise to transfer to your own bases. Maybe there is a bug at
>> the client, but never hear about and so think it is correct.
>

> I don't trust the client. It doesn't show correctly all the time.
> I tried:
>
> 1. ship -> own base no change
> 2. ship -> own ship no change
> 3. ship -> own ship (different ships) increase +15 ???
> 4. ship -> enemy ship increace +25
>
> When I cancelled the orders, everything went back to original, except
> 3). It remained at the same level (+15).
> When I used that ship to transfer again to own ship, it was still +15,
> but transfer to enemy ship increased it by 45, totally +60 from original.
> I think there is a bug in the client. I couldn't find anything that if
> you transfer cargo from/to your own object, sensor image is not
> increased. Just that transporters (when active) increases it by 25.

Don't know why 3. happens cause 2. is what I have.
How often do you have 3.? Or there are different scanners, speed or
minesweeping, .. set ?

I had only at one situation a "at the first moment unexpected" sensor
image, that was when I transfer to foreign stuff but the transfer don't
happen (target destroyed or not in range or ..).
Then I had the next turn a higher image show, but the transfer screen
don't show what he will transfer but the "cancel transfer" button at the
left bottom corner was shown. As I used him the imager become normal.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
March 16, 2005 2:09:13 AM

nospam wrote:
>> 1. ship -> own base no change
>> 2. ship -> own ship no change
>> 3. ship -> own ship (different ships) increase +15 ???
>> 4. ship -> enemy ship increace +25
> Don't know why 3. happens cause 2. is what I have.
> How often do you have 3.? Or there are different scanners, speed or
> minesweeping, .. set ?

This has happened to me few times, but I may have missed more cases
because sensor image hasn't been important all the time.
But this I scripted yesterday.
There must be a bug because image increade by 15 and cancel didn't
changed it back.
I just transferred stuff, no sweeping, moving or anything else.
In this time, it was first turn after mastering a game.

This has happened with different ships (not at first turn).

I noticed that when you open Transfer window and set enemy ship
as transfer target, you sensor image is increaded. You don't need to
transfer anything.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 5:08:32 AM

Pete wrote:
> nospam wrote:
>
>>> 1. ship -> own base no change
>>> 2. ship -> own ship no change
>>> 3. ship -> own ship (different ships) increase +15 ???
>>> 4. ship -> enemy ship increace +25
>>
>> Don't know why 3. happens cause 2. is what I have.
>> How often do you have 3.? Or there are different scanners, speed or
>> minesweeping, .. set ?
>

> This has happened to me few times, but I may have missed more cases
> because sensor image hasn't been important all the time.
> But this I scripted yesterday.
> There must be a bug because image increade by 15 and cancel didn't
> changed it back.
> I just transferred stuff, no sweeping, moving or anything else.
> In this time, it was first turn after mastering a game.
>
> This has happened with different ships (not at first turn).
>
> I noticed that when you open Transfer window and set enemy ship
> as transfer target, you sensor image is increaded. You don't need to
> transfer anything.

Sorry, just must only set a foreign object as transport target and you
get a higher sensor image, you must not transfer really something only
initate a transfer. So I don't wonder only that.
The only thing that wonder me is your case 3. with the +15 sensor, don't
know what happen there.

Bye-Bye JoSch.
!