Computer crashes once ram-intensive programs are used.

xRealityx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
So, I got a new computer the other day (Thursday) and I got it all set up but once i go to play a game (MW3) it crashes my whole computer. This also happens when I have multiple tabs open on mozilla firefox/nightly. I am unsure whether it is the mobo or memory, or if they are the culprit, if they aren't sorry for posting here.

When my computer crashes, the sound stutters, like it is replaying one sound constantly but then it moves to like 1 milisecond ahead, and replays that part of the sound over and over and so on. My computer completely freezes and I have to either A) Flip power switch on back of PSU or hit the small button on my tower for the restart. I ran Memtst86+ and i got 1 pass in 50 minutes, I plan on running it overnight to.

Specs:
i5-2500k @3.30gHz
GA-Z68AP-D3 mobo (gigabyte)
8 GB of Kingston ddr3 1600 mHz ram.
650W Corsair PSU
Nvidia GTS 450 vid card

Any feedback/help is appreciated! :D

xRealityx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Thanks, I did all that and it stopped, for the most part... I can now play games and such but when I have a game like MW3 or CS:S minimized and havea few mozilla tabs open, my computer crashes. The sound no longer stutters if that affects it all.

KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX - http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3K2_8GX.pdf
DDR3-1600 9-9-9-27-2N @ 1.65v

First, 1.65v RAM isn't ideal for Sandy Bridge, 1.50v is recommended BUT I haven't seen or heard of it damaging the SB.

DIMM Slots:
CPU: | blank | RAM | blank | RAM | ; white DIMM slots

BIOS:
Load Optimized
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled
System Memory Multiplier -> 16 ; 16 * 100MHz = 1600 MHz
DRAM Timing Selectable -> Quick
CAS Latency Time -> 9
tRCD -> 9
tRP -> 9
tRAS -> 27
-
Command Rate (CMD) -> 2
-
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.15v~1.20v ; depends on stability
DRAM Voltage -> 1.64v

-
PCH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI **

Save & Exit = Yes

Boot

Windows verify AHCI divers are running. BIOS = AHCI <=> Start = 0 ; reference -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Manually set Start = 0 <or> run Fix It per link above.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
AHCI_Start_0.jpg

xRealityx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

HOly crap thats lots of info! I will get back to you as soon as i do it, thanks for the fast response!

xRealityx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

It crashed again >< but i went through, made sure i did everything. I noticed i hadnt switched sata to ACHI, when I did it would say "loading operating system" and about 2 lines of dots afterwards, it then restarted. So i switched it back and then I needed to restore it. Is the DVD suppsoed to boot after the HDD or before? AS of right now it is before the HDD.

The AHCI is optional but it's faster so I 'thought' it's worth mentioning while you were in the BIOS. IDE is fine...

Once I have a system running smoothly I make the OS drive the primary boot drive, use 'Quick Booting', turn-off (disable) unused ports/etc, and turn-off the Splash Screen or in some cases use a custom splash.