Sign in with
Your question

Replacing on off button on dell d600

Last response: in Systems
January 29, 2011 11:13:41 AM

Hello, I have a dell d600, the on/off button is broken. I will have to change the the circuit board that the button was on, is this hard to do? Also any other information is very welcome!
Thank you very much, John.
January 29, 2011 3:23:14 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

You need to go to "support.dell.com" and enter the "Service Tag #" in the appropriate box. Then download the Service Manual for your computer. All repair and replacement will be shown here.

Laptops are trickier than desktops. Read the service manual before attempting to perform any repairs. The ease of repair will depend upon your level of expertise.
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:17:22 PM

jwitey said:
Hello, I have a dell d600, the on/off button is broken. I will have to change the the circuit board that the button was on, is this hard to do? Also any other information is very welcome!
Thank you very much, John.

I know this thread is old but when searching to purchase a power/LED circuit board for the Dell D600/M motherboard...this was one of the results. I thought I would post a better response than "go download the manual!" I hate that. That's why the internet is here...information!! :fou: 

First, power down, unplug, and remove your battery.

Second, on a flat surface, open your laptop, fold the monitor down so it's horizontal with the table.

**Note - Use only non-magnetized screwdrivers!**

Removal

1. Remove flat header cover that contains your power, volume controls, and LEDs by taking fine tip flat head screwdriver and gently prying up on the right-hand side. (You'll see and indentation to place the screwdriver.) Once it's free from the first set of clips, GENTLY work the cover up, from right to left, until it's free from the laptop.

2. Directly beneath where your power button was, there will be a circuit board with two Phillip head screws. Remove the screws and set them out of the way.

3. On the right-hand side of the board you'll see a tab that's probably tucked under another component. Simply and carefully, slide your flat head screwdriver under the tab, slide it left, and upwards. With your fingers, gently pull up on the tab, and unplug the Power/LED circuit board from the motherboard.

Installation

1. Preferably but not critical, grab your new circuit board at the edges and slide the upper end, up, and under the main case.

2. Once you are sure that it's 100% aligned with the plug on the mother board, use your pointer-finger on your left hand, and apply enough pressure to the upper right-hand corner of the board until you feel it seat to the plug.

3. Replace the two Philip head screws.

4. Replace your cover by sliding it left, inserting the two tabs on the left side of the cover to the main case. Then, gently work the cover from left to right ensuring that it clips, evenly, flush, and flat.

I wrote this from memory so I hope I missed no steps. I'm fairly certain all points to replacing the Power/LED circuit board for the Dell D600 have been covered.

So, re-install your battery, jack in your power supply, and boot that baby up!
m
l
!