Sign in with
Your question

Need help with my 4890 (Stumped & so is everyone else)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2010 4:53:41 AM

I am in need of some help that NO one can figure out. I bought a XFX 4890. I purchased a used XFX 4890 from a friend of mine who had the card watercooled for its entire life. ive used it before on his PC & its a great running card.

When I got it from him i installed the stock cooler wich was never used but there is an issue. I installed the card & the latest drivers but im getting this Fan issue where the Fan will Rev high to low. looking at GPUZ it shows the fan juming from 0% to 56% over and over.

The only way to stop this is I went into Catalyst control center & Manually set my Fan to 45% wich stopped my issue. I just dont know what to do here. I do have a lifetime warranty on the card so I can RMA it if i need to.

system Specs
AMD Athlon II X3 445 3.4GHz
BIOSTAR TA785G3HD
SeaSonic S12II 520
G.SKILL NS 4GB
XFX 4890 1GB
LITE-ON 24X iHAS-324-98
WD WD5000AAKS
Corsair A70
Asus MS236H

More about : 4890 stumped

November 30, 2010 3:52:17 PM

If the GPU is constantly increasing/decreasing fan speed while idling, then I suspect you either have a defective GPU heat sensor or the GPU HSF (heatsink fan) is not properly mounted.

It is normal upon start-up for the fan to rev to high and then drop back to a lower speed. However, you seem to describing something else.

If the HSF is mounted properly, I would suggest to reset the 4890 to its default speeds (do this in Catalyst), essentially no overclocking. If this doesn't resolve the problem, check the XFX website for a possible BIOS/CMOS/firmware update. If not available and the problem still exists, attempt to RMA the GPU.

To be up-front though, your warranty my no longer be valid due to the HSF swap and they will be able to tell when they get your card.

Good luck!
m
l
December 1, 2010 2:21:13 AM

yeah thats what I was thinking. im going to see if i can find a replacement fan before I send this in to RMA. the card is not overclocked at all. Fresh driver install.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2010 2:30:19 AM

I don't see any thing wrong with it, go ahead and contact XFX and maybe they will send you a replacement. I once bought a dead XFX 780i for $30 ebay only to find that not only was it unregistered but that I was and did RMA it. So for you just shot them an email and in a few hours to a day you will get a response.
m
l
December 1, 2010 2:44:41 AM

I wanted to give you guys an update. earlier today I decided to uninstall 10.11 & try 10.10 & It worked. Ive had the pc running all day without any fan issues at all. I have no idea why 10.11 was doing this. The fan speed is currently at 32% in GPUZ.

Im glad I didnt have to RMA the card. Its been running Perfect for a good 9 hours or so
m
l
December 1, 2010 10:38:18 AM

4lc4pon3 said:
I wanted to give you guys an update. earlier today I decided to uninstall 10.11 & try 10.10 & It worked. Ive had the pc running all day without any fan issues at all. I have no idea why 10.11 was doing this. The fan speed is currently at 32% in GPUZ.

Im glad I didnt have to RMA the card. Its been running Perfect for a good 9 hours or so

Sounds good. However, if it gets wonky again, try the RMA route. An aftermarket HSF may just mask an underlying problem, if there is one at this point. Good luck!!!
m
l
!