Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Netgear
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 25, 2010 4:02:52 PM

I have a netgear wgr614v6 and a dlink wbr1310 and was wondering if I can connect these wirelessly to get more access in my home.

More about : router router connect wirelessly

September 25, 2010 4:30:17 PM

I assume what you want is to enable wireless repeating, that is, have one as your primary router, and the other "repeat" the wireless signal some distance from that router, thereby extending the wireless range.

Normally each router would have to support WDS. Frankly, I'm not sure if either router does. But even if they did, it doesn't matter since WDS bridging almost never works across brands (WDS is not a WiFi certified protocol, so implementations vary from brand to brand, leading to incompatibilities).

That leaves one other option; dd-wrt. If either router supported dd-wrt third party firmware, then you could install dd-wrt and configure that router as a universal wireless repeater. But unfortunately (again), the dd-wrt database doesn’t indicate compatibility for either router. To be precise, the Netgear WGR614 v6 is listed as WIP (Work In Progress), but I don't know if I would trust it unless it specifically indicated yes, but that's your call. If it did work, then you could configure a wireless repeater as follows:

[wbr130 (ap mode)]<-- wireless -->[wgr614 (dd-wrt “repeater bridge” mode)]

m
l
!